1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Looking for a new printer.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CrapBag, 27 Aug 2016.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Budget is £60

Looking at printer like the Canon MX535 and the Epson XP-432/530.

I really want an AIO as we currently have two printers, my old HP is used just for the scanner and my old Epson which was given to me by my mum has stopped printing black properly.

My biggest concern is running costs.

I only ever buy compatibles due to the price and they have always been okay but I understand that it invalidates the warranty which is why I'm tempted to buy the cheapest one possible as then I wouldn't care about the warrant and could by cheap ink.

I'm leaning towards Epson due to the fact they have separate colour cartridges which means your never throwing away unused ink.

Last edited: 27 Aug 2016
  2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

The compatible inks for the XP-432-530 are hugely hit and miss on whether they work (the shop I work at sells them and they're causing all sorts of issues) so I'd go Canon with remanufactured cartridges. Plus, I've always preferred Canon printers, had less issues with them over the years.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I used to rave about the quality of Epson injets, but I would never buy one again.

The last two I bought got occassional use - maybe once or twice a week at most - and the ink kept drying up. The printer would then attempt to clean the head and use over 20% of a new cartridge in the process, or eventually fail to recognise new (geniune) cartridges.

The real pisser is that, when the printer isn't working for the above reasons, you can't use the scanner; rendering the thing useless.

I went with a cheap colour laser and I've forgone scanning for the time being.

My next All-in-one will be a colour laser - Inkjets might be cheaper right off the bat, but the longer term costs associated with the problems I faced really ramped up.

4. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

I have switched over to HP... Don't regret it. Signed up for their instant ink program so I get genuine ink sent by HP automatically when my ink levels run low. The cost of instant ink per year is in the region of £24 for me.

My first HP was destroyed by a firmware update. HP sent me the next model up as replacement within a couple of days.

5. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

Hi I had the same with inkjets drying up so I got a dell colour lazer and has lasted ages with the toner that came with it and that's 2 years now and I got a replacement set for £37 from ebay

6. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I wouldn't ever go ink jet again. Laser for Day to day stuff and the rare thing that needs to be in color gets outsourced.

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have the Canon MG 7500, would I recommend it probably not. Nothing terribly wrong with it it just does not tick all the boxes. Ii don't really do photo printing as no matter what they claim home printers cannot compare to a professional finish. I use refillable cartridges without issue. it's wireless which was important. As I said not really anything wrong with it just not quite there.

8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Went for a Canon PIXMA MX 535 in the end as Tesco's had them in their outlet store for £45.

Only really need it for basic printing, letters, kids homework and the like.

At £45 I don't care about the warranty and will just refill or chuck compatibles in it.

Last edited: 29 Aug 2016