1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Looking for a small 5v to 12v motor for a case door?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by blue_lawnchair, 8 Jun 2005.

1. blue_lawnchair

blue_lawnchair What's a Dremel?

I am rather new at this but what I am look for is a small motor,(my PSU can run), that would open and close a door on my case I am building. One that is similar to a CD/DVD tray motor is about what I need, one that opens when you push the button and closes when you push it again, any help on what kind I need and where to buy one would be very helpful, thank you for your time.

2. Ghlargh

Ghlargh What's a Dremel?

you could actually rip the whole thing out of a CD-rom, you should be able to get one free from a friend, or maybe you have some shitty ones lying around?

There are lots of CD-roms that are either too slow or too worn out to be useful, but the tray opening usually works fine. The older the better, the older ones can usually be opened even if you rip out the reader assembly.

You might have to make a new controller if you don't want to have to use the large board from the CD-rom

3. theshadow27

theshadow27 What's a Dremel?

car seat motor, runs at 12v and has built in liniar actuator, online for about $20. you would have to build the control circut with limit switches yourself. to get exactly what you are discribing would require a industral grade L.A. which (with controler) runs $8000-$9000

4. blue_lawnchair

The CD-Rom was something I had thought of but was not to sure it would work. Also the motor from the car set sounds a little more interesting than my original idea. Where would be the best place to fine the parts to build the control curcuit. Thanks for all the info.

5. blue_lawnchair

If you remove the motor and board from the CD-ROM woudl it still work the same? You know, stop at a certain distance and retract back like normal?

6. Ghlargh

Ghlargh What's a Dremel?

Most drives have either 2 switches or one 2 way switch, common to all is that one contact is flipped in each end position, so if you had one small switch at the innermost and outermost position, you would be able to use the controller for older drives, some newer drives don't respond properly when the reader assembly is removed, but the generic 4x drive that was made in millions for old 486's and Pentiums works great with the whole reader assembly thrown away.

It runs either for a given time (so it doesn't catch fire if you try to open it inside a locked wardrobe or something) or until it hits an end position.

The time until timer shutdown on the models i have been playing with is roughly double the time it takes to open the tray, so you could have a linear movement a bit longer than the tray movement if you change the cogwheels to work for that, but no need to change anything in the gear part if you don't need a movement longer than the tray linear movement.

Before breaking the drive apart to use the parts, open and close it a few times without the chassi on until you are familiar with the mechanics of it. Allso figure out how the end position detector works for the model you have.

7. theshadow27

well, if you have a credit card, try ebay: http://search.ebay.com/power-seat-motor_W0QQfromZR40QQsojsZ1

otherwise, you can get them dirt cheap at junkyards. if you dont want to get your hands dirty, try to find one online that looks good, find out what make and modle it is from, and go into any autoparts store and ask for it. they may have to order it, but it is a lot easier the wrestling it from a rusted out car...

if you go to a junkyard, tell the guy youll pay $20 for a seat motor and you dont care what car it is from, then let him show you where to find it. this works better then bringing one back only for him to say "oh, thattl be $150".

other good car motors are "van door motors" "power window motors" and "windshield wiper motors", all run off 12v

8. blue_lawnchair

Thank you for all the great help, I like both ideas, I will see if could put both to good use. Again thanks you all have be great help.

9. Ghlargh

Ghlargh What's a Dremel?

Wouldn't that power seat linear actuator be really really slow and run off pretty high current for just opening a computer door?

On the other hand, if you're not in a hurry when opening that door, slow would probably look cool, like opening a gigantic door in miniature.

10. blue_lawnchair

The purpose of the door (which would be in the top of the case), is to let heat out quickly if the case gets to hot or that's the reason I am using. I am really doing it for fun, to add something different to the case. I will have two 120mm fans that are connected to a heat sensor so the will kick in if the heat rises to much. I am building a Final Fantasy style (mechanical yet magical feel) wood and acrylic case, have it feel like it came straight out of FFIII(U.S.) FFVI(Japan).I was wanting to have to motor connect to a heat sensor so when the fans started to speed up the doors would open giving it that feeling EDGAR'S castle getting ready to burrow in to the earth or something like that. But I have not really figured out how to do this or if it is even really woth the trouble. My electrical knowledge is not that extensive, but my dads is so some pluses there.

Last edited: 8 Jun 2005
  11. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom What's a Dremel?

I would steer away from a larger motor meant for in a car, they take a lot more current then PSU's like to provide, especially when you start loading them, plus they are rather large also.

For a small vent/door for a 120mm fan or two, a motor for a CD-rom would be ideal. You could probably go with a hobby servo motor, but getting the control pulses for that would be a pain. Though you could setup 2 555's (or a 556) in single-shot mode to provide a single pulse to make the servo jump to the position, but it wouldnt hold it without a constant signal. But then, again, neither would the regular motor.

If your ok with electronics, then the servo would be a good route, if your more mechanical, then hacking up a CD-rom would be good.

12. theshadow27

car seat motors are tiny, and draw almost nothing compared to window motors... sorry guys, but they work very well

and i have 2 of them in my case and the PSU is fine ;)