1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Looking for a VPN.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Otis1337, 29 Mar 2017.

1. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

So i use to use NordVPN, which is the most secure i know with the best policies but there software is very buggy and i use to get constant drop outs with inconsistent speeds.

Anyone else have any other recommendation. Must be able to use on the home router and phone.
    Speed and connection stability is important.

2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

PrivateInternetAccess. I think it'll run you to about £30/year.

3. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

it's more than that, I used to pay them about 7 quid a month when I was with PIA.

now I used CyberGhost VPN as I got a year sub from a humble bundle a while ago - it's less good than PIA, but it's cheaper for a year. When the sub is done i'm going back to PIA as it's the best.

PIA have a whole multitude of ways to connect, including being able to dial an IPSEC tunnel from your router, or ssl vpn, or they have a little app which you can use.

all the normal stuff like no logs, etc. etc. etc. etc.

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I'm paying $40/year for PIA. I think doing it monthly is considerably more expensive though.

5. Margo Baggins

I didn't realise could do it annually, 100% going to do that when I sign back up again!

CyberGhost is crap, but got it with a $15 humble bundle for a whole year, so can't really complain.

6. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

I've been rolling with airvpn for aronud 6 months and have been pretty happy with it.

7. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

That's the ticket. Annual. I thought $40 was alreet

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

9. Margo Baggins

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Same way any of 'em do: by telling you they don't keep logs while hopefully not crossing their fingers behind their backs.
    Looks like PIA might have changed that, then: that article says it was updated in January. I'm pretty sure it used to be listed on The One Privacy Site as logging, but it's now listed as not - so either they have changed it or I'm misremembering. They're still listed as problematical for a number of reasons, including being in the US (Fourteen Eyes member and 'Enemy of the Internet' status), while AirVPN is based in Italy so gets Fourteen Eyes status but not 'Enemy of the Internet'. They also meet the PrivacyTools criteria, which PIA doesn't.

EDIT: Although, at the moment, their homepage is borked and showing this image...

[​IMG]

Last edited: 29 Mar 2017
  11. Margo Baggins

I bet Italy's internet police are as bad as their postal system too - so that's a prime spot for the vpn service to be hosted :D :D

12. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

+1
    Same here.

13. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

I signed up to PIA last night after reading this thread, I had been meaning to do it for a while tbh.

No issues during sign up and I have all my traffic running through the PIA VPN from my pfSense router over OpenVPN.
    I also now have my phone set to connect to my home domain through my Sophos SSL VPN.

[​IMG]

14. alfizzle

alfizzle Ooh aah just a little bit..

I use PIA, no complaints with the service or software.