1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Looking for a washer? Spacer?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by m0ng0lh0rde, 1 Sep 2005.

1. m0ng0lh0rde

m0ng0lh0rde New Member

Here's what I'm looking for. I'm not sure what to call these, and so have had no luck finding them in the forums, or on the web. Basically, these would be (preferably) anodized aluminum spacers/washers. Shaped sort of like a cone, and designed for countersunk screws. They'd be something like below:
    _____
    /_|_|_\

Please forgive my poor ASCII art skills...
    The center portion is where the bolt would go through, and the top would be shaped to allow a counter-sunk bolt to sit flush.
    These would be around 3-4mm high, maybe about 4-5mm in diameter.

Anyone know what to call these, and where I might find them?

2. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

i know exactly what those are, i forget what they are called, i had to pick up some of those for the resturant i work at just the other day at lowes, im pretty sure an equivilant store around you sells them, they are cheap, and really save time when when doing things, when used right, they often look better then if you had actually countersunk the hole

3. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

at this site (link) they sell 'M3 finishing caps', is that what you're looking for?

edit: look under 'general parts' and then 'fasteners'

4. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

My dad is a carpenter so will probably know what it is, I'll ask him what it is when he gets back from work!

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

6. m0ng0lh0rde

m0ng0lh0rde New Member

OOOO!
    Pretty much exactly what I'm looking for!
    Made the mistake of e-mailing a company a request for quote on these things, anodized blue, 50 count order....

They wanted $6.70/ea(!!) and $105 plating charge(!!!!)

Next question:
    How do you think it will look using these finishing washers, and flat head socket screws, to hold a side panel window on?
    Case is a CoolerMaster Stacker. I was looking at possibly going with black anodized, but blue is good too....

7. Nexxo

I think you need countersunk screws with these for a cleaner finish (it's how I plan to do my window). I'm sure that if you Google around a bit you can get both in black, in the US. Ask Scopedog --he has a good US scource for fasteners.

8. m0ng0lh0rde

m0ng0lh0rde New Member

Yeah, the flat head socket screws are countersunk. I thought about using dome-head screws, but they don't seem to come in countersunk, and in which case, I could just use the dome-heads by themselves...

9. Nexxo

Try looking for "fairing bolts". They often have a suitable shape.

10. m0ng0lh0rde

m0ng0lh0rde New Member

**PERFECT**

Now to find a US supplier of these things, without having to wander around motorcycle shops....

All the online places with these bolts individually are in the UK....

11. Leeum

Leeum New Member

I use these 'countersunk panel washers'.

[​IMG]

They're in anodised aluminium, loads of colours and fit countersunk M5 bolts. Sorry, UK link again, BSR Aerotek. Perhaps they might ship to the states?

12. m0ng0lh0rde

m0ng0lh0rde New Member

Nope, unfortunately, they don't ship to the US....

And they had what I was looking for....
    :sigh:

13. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

hmm they seem to ship to the US

'Overseas carriage charges: These will generally be 2-4 times the cost of UK carriage. The further away you are, and the more off the carriers "beaten track" then the costlier the service. We do not aim to make a profit from our carriage, however we can not afford to make a loss either. Eg : Europe is double UK carriage, USA and Far East is quadruple.
    '

14. m0ng0lh0rde

m0ng0lh0rde New Member

Seems like I'd need to phone in the order, as their online order page spits up "No carrier to selected location" when I try to move past shipping address...

I've found what I'm looking for though at an RC Helicopter place that was linked higher up in the thread. M3 sized....

Just took a tape measure to the button heads holding the side grill on, and found they're 1/4" (about 6.25mm). Maybe I will call these guys and see what they charge.