1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Looking for advice on a new build for gmaing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Abraxas, 3 Apr 2013.

1. Abraxas

Abraxas What's a Dremel?

Hi guys. I built the PC I'm using right now back in September of 2010. 2.5 years is a long time in PC tech and it's getting a bit long in the tooth for playing games on higher settings. My current setup is:

Core i7 950 (4Ghz overclock)
    GTX 460 1GB (not overclocked. I've tried to OC in the past but it just crashes when I bump the clock up on it)
    750w XFX PSU
    Asus P6X58D-E board
    Patriot 3x2GB DDR3. Unsure of exact specs :D
    HAF 922 case
    LG monitor. 23 inch, 1920x1080 max res.
    Also got Crucial M4 and OCZ Vertex SSDs, 3 internal HDDs and 3 externals.

I wanted to ask about the cpu and mobo first. If I get an ivy bridge I'll need a new mobo as well. I think the i7 3770k is the most popular right now. Would I notice a big performance increase compared to the i7 950? Also what board would you recommend? I've had quick look and the Asus sabertooth looks good but I've no idea how it compares to Gigabyte's offerings. Also I find that with the P6X58D-E I don't get the maximum read or write speeds on my SSDs. I read it's something to do with the Marvel controllers not being very good (but I'm not 100% on that). I would prefer a board where I could actually get max speeds.

I've only ever used Nvidia cards and don't really know what AMDs are like compared to them. The 680 looks like the best option for me. 690 is out of my range a bit. What would be the closest AMD to the 680 in performance and would you guys recommend it?
    Would I need a better PSU for a 680 or would 750w be enough?

Thoughts on new RAM or should I keep my Patriots?

What's a good monitor? I'm looking for around 26 inch and higher res than LG. Not fussed about 3D. My current one is 3D but I hardly use the feature.

Also are there any better cases than the HAF for around £100? I don't mind it but a few people have said it's a bit dated. I think the front USB ports are only USB 2.0. Most newer cases have 3.0 I think.

I used this forum when I was building my current build and the advice was invaluable to me. I hope it can be again. I also liked the bit-tech buyers guide but it's not been updated in a while. Cheers for any advice anyway guys. :)

2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Honestly? If I were you, I'd buy a new GPU and some more RAM and keep it going!

Either a 680 or 7970 but make sure the card you buy has 3Gb VRAM minimum.

I'd personally go for a Sapphire 7970 GHz ed, or:

EVGA 670 F.T.W (670 GPU on 680 PCB) or a 680 SC

3. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Buy a GTX670/680 or a HD7950/70 and call it a day. The i7 950 at 4GHz is still a storming chip.

4. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

This. An Ivy Bridge would be around 20% faster than your current chip, which just isn't worth it when considering the price.

Your power supply is fine. For reference, the system in my sig pulls around 330W from the wall on full load.

As for the monitor, a Dell U2713HM is not a bad choice. Keep in mind though that 1440p monitors come with quite a price premium compared to 1080p and 1200p monitors.

5. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

I don't think you'll notice much difference to your day-to-day usage with a new CPU. In fact I honestly don't think you will notice any difference at all, I would definitely go for a new GPU and monitor. RAM upgrade is not necessary either, that's another part that will net about no noticeable real world difference (unless you find yourself actually filling up those 6GB often?).

26" monitors don't seem to exist, so you're looking at a 27" one. If you're after a higher resolution than your current one, as well as 27", then it's best to go for an IPS screen (as 120Hz aka 3D monitors at higher than 1080p don't exist). You should note that the switch from a 120Hz capable monitor (which I presume yours is) to a 60Hz IPS may be a bit of a shock, there are pros and cons of both technologies you may want to make yourself aware of.

As for case, it obviously isn't super necessary if you're happy with your current one, but yeah there are some much nicer options out there. Have a look through the Bit-Tech reviews and see if you can find one that takes your fancy, I know a lot of people here like the Fractal R4 and with good reason - it's minimalist stylish and very quiet, with adequate cooling too.

6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

As others have said, splash out on a GPU (GTX 680) right now, which will have a real impact on your performance. If you really want to replace your CPU/Mobo I would recommend waiting for the Haswell refresh in the summer, and picking up the i5 4670K (quad core) and associated board.

For gaming, an i7 is a waste of money.

The Dell U2713HM is a good buy (2560x1440), but you'll be needing that 680 to power it.

7. maple

maple Minimodder

Your hardware is pretty good even now although your 460 may be not so good on latest games, there's definitely room for improvement on the GPU side, but cpu,ram side not so much

8. Abraxas

Abraxas What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the response guys. I've decide to just upgrade the gpu for now. I'm trying to decide between the Gigabyte Windforce GTX 680 and AMD Radeon 7970. Would you guys definitely vouch for the 680 in this case? Also I haven't looked into IPS monitors too much. I will be though.

9. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Personally I would, but that's because I prefer the green camp (drivers/control panel/noise/power consumption).

10. AverageNinja

AverageNinja Almost an EpicNinja

For the monitor: get an achieva shimean. They're pretty much rejected Apple Cinema Displays. There's a shop for those on eBay with free worldwide shipping. 2560x1440 for $300.

11. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Or, if you prefer to have a warranty on the monitor, plus a proper stand and not a rejected B-grade panel, get a Dell U2713HM.