1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Looking for Laptop Suggestions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by twentynine, 25 Aug 2008.

1. twentynine

twentynine Can never win...

I'm looking for a laptop. Although I'm buying it for school I want it to be able to do more than just type word documents. I don't just want an expensive typewrite in other words.

I'm open to any suggestions. I'm particularly interested in what the users of Bit-Tech think of the Eee PC(1000H or 1000HD?). I really don't know a whole lot about them, besides the review on this site said. So any help or suggsetions anyone can give on any brand/model is greatly appreciated.

Also, just a few spec guidelines - Preferably 2GB(or more) of RAM, must have WiFi, bluetooth is optional. Storage size is variable, I have a 250GB 2.5'' Drive in an external enclosure for extra storage if needed). As for the OS, any is fine - I use Vista, XP, and Linux on a daily basis.

Thanks for your help!

2. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/148824

that should pretty much cover your needs... you're only after something inexpensive so why not a refurbished product?

It's also cheaper than the top-level Eee and it's on Vista Home Premium so none of Home Basic's 36,843 day long file transfers:)

3. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

Where are you from - 'coz there's no point in us providing links to laptops in the UK (as above), if your from (i.e.) the USA :idea:
    Equally important - due to the wide range (specs/prices) available... we need to know your budget as well :idea:

But unless you're a gamer... I'd think the Asus Eee PC is an excellent choice for a student ;)

4. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

but again, that depends on a student of what... if you're doing Media and Still Image (like me next year) you're going to want something with a decent amount of oomph

Says to me he wants it for gaming or graphics (or both), so the Eee might be a bit low-end for him, which is why I suggested the Fujitsu Siemens

5. twentynine

Ah. Sorry guys. I'm in the USA, Texas specifically.

I'm going into the field of Computer Science, focusing on Digital Imaging and Animation, or Computer Graphics in other words(whatever you want to call it). So yes, I'm going to need something a little more robust in the graphics department.

Ideally I'd like to spend a little under or over $1000....but if need be I can spend as much as $1,300. I'd rather not go that high though.

6. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

7. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

lenovo t61. they're on a sale right now because they've announced the t500 model, so you can get a great deal on an amazing laptop. also, you can try the coupon code CAPSAVET61W for an additional 20% off (although that code may be canada only). unless you're going to be hooking up an external monitor, don't buy a computer with less than WSXGA+ (1680) screen resolution if you plan to do multitasking on it (and coding is all multitasking).

8. twentynine

Thanks for the suggestions guys. One final question - Processor Speed?. I know it kinda sounds like a stupid question, but I don't really know what is considered worst, good, and best or even standard when it comes to laptops. Desktops are easy...but with laptops I'm not so sure.

Please excuse my noobness with laptops...I wouldn't even be buying one if I didn't have to. I much prefer to do my work on a desktop.

9. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

c2d T5750 at 2.0GHz seems to be standard. my sister just got a laptop with one, and it is very adequate for normal use. they top out at 2.8GHz with the T9600.