1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Looking for new RTS

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by terrorbyt, 19 May 2012.

1. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Been playing a lot of Rome: Total War but would like a more recent RTS. What would you guys recommend? I've played Age of Empires III to death as well xD. My favourite RTS to date is probably Star Trek Armada but that doesn't run on anything after OS xp.

lilgoth89 likes this.
  2. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Company of Heroes.

3. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Bought it a week ago, found it very small scale and to be honest the 'what beats what' is very unclear at times. Graphics are very nice, but I'd prefer better gameplay.

4. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

World in Conflict.

CoH is amazing too. Give it some time.

5. feathers

feathers Minimodder

6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Company of Heroes is hands down the best RTS since Total Annihilation. Once you've worked out the units and their uses it's simply the most awesome thing ever. There's s a few of us who play online, we can teach you the ropes :)

Other series I can recommend:
    Men of War - very in depth, more accurate, but can be a bitch to control and understand, horrible tutorials and a storyline worthy of a daytime soap.
    Supreme Commander - massive scale, but not my favourite.
    World in Conflict - modern setting, but once I'd completed it I never went back.
    Star Wars Empire at War - it's Star Wars, enough said.

7. feathers

feathers Minimodder

TA is my favourite RTS of all time. I completed SA but didn't like it as much as TA.

Tried to like WIC but found the training mission so boring that I didn't continue.

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I still play TA - it still looks good, and hasn't been beaten. It constantly amazes me that it was made in 1997, and that I've been playing it since then! Supreme Commander was a massive let-down in comparison.

9. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

It's small scale because it's purer tactics based than pure zerg rush.

You'll need to learn the tech tree to an extent in any RTS, that's kind of the point :p

I like a bit of C&C3 every now and then, myself.

10. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Heresy D:

Speaking of, the Dawn of War series might perhaps take OP's fancy (though the second games are very small-scale).

11. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I should play TA again.

I've got Oil Rush too. Not bad or though you can only move units from one oil tower to the next. There is no freedom of movement as in a regular RTS.

12. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

your getting rep just for likeing star trek armada

i had both the first and the 2nd one

on topic, you should perhaps look into command and conquer the first decade ( everything after was made by EA and they basically took a large turd on the series ) or perhaps suppreme commander 2 ( with the fixed engineif your after GIAGNTIC battles

dawn of war isnt that bad either

hmm

*looks at old laptop*
    windows 98SE...
    OMG!!!! star trek armada 1+2

13. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Yeah, Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance all the way. Eats your machines resources, but epic on such a scale. The engine is really nice in SupCom 2, but the economy model is what throws me off, don't like it at all.

14. improprietary

improprietary FT03 is a bitch to watercool

^^ this.

15. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Fair comment, I've not given CoH much of a chance.

I didn't like it tbh. I loved it!!!

Played about 10 skirmishes and just got irritated most of the time. My anti tank guns walk up to tanks and then fire, my anti infantry get killed by infantry etc. I like to be assured when I send something in that it doesn't get slaughtered by what it's supposed to be good against.

I've played a lot of C&C3 as well, may go back to it at some point :D

To be honest I'd like a Space themed one, like Armada. After buying CoH not sure I can be bothered with World in Conflict. Whats Starcraft like? I've never played it.

16. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Personally, I enjoyed the campaign in Starcraft and Starcraft 2. Skirmishes against the AI can be ok, but generally, if you mess up your build order at all, you're screwed. Little to no leeway for error.

Seriously, get Supreme Commander. SupCom 2 and 4 other Square Enix games are on Amazon download for less than a fiver today (for all 5 titles), check the Steam sale sticky thread at the top for details. If you like SupCom 2, you'll like SupCom 1. More advanced economy, larger scale, really really good.

Wargames: European Escalation is also seemingly very good. A few of my friends got it recently and they've been coming back with some really good feedback.

17. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Star Trek Armada 2, I'm pretty sure i had that working on W7.

Sword of the Stars, not the second one yet imo, it still needs work, and it's turn based - like total war- but with real time battles.

Dawn of War 1 + 2, both different styles of game but both good.

Sins of a Solar Empire - new one out soon though.

CoH, SupCom 1 + 2.

Red Alert 2, ignore Yuris revenge imo. CnC2 +3.

Star Wars Empire at War

18. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

you have to support the anti-tank weapons with infantry. also, the guns will follow the enemy tank if you right click on it. Best to rest the guns down and let the vehicles come into range.

Which infantry vs what?

I've played over 800 hours about the game so i pretty much know what beats what in most situations. So i can probably give you tips on everything.

19. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Will take a look at those you suggested, but can't find Armada 2 anywhere. I don't want to torrent it, do you know of anywhere I could get a copy?

Thanks, we'll give it another go and let you know :).

20. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I would also recommend CoH, annoyed I didn't pick it up on the steam sale last weekend, already own the original and Opposing fronts, but was tempted by all 3 for around a fiver, especially since them being on steam would hopefully ease the arduous nature of updating it.

Star Wars Empire at War is good fun, love some of the small touches, such as the hero vs hero fights on land, animations are awesome :D Overall far prefer the space battles though, even though they're only on a 2D plane, work well in my opinion :)