1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Looking for some JRPG recommendations

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by silk186, 7 Aug 2015.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

Hey, I've kind of grown bored of current games- waiting for JC3 and a few other jems like Mighty No. 9 and Yooka-Laylee. I'm looking for something with interesting combat and good story that is fun to play. I'm playing through zelda like to the past. I run dolphin and a few other emulators. I was thinking of giving PSP emulation a go. I tried looking at some best of PSP rpgs on youtube but they were all crap- talking with no game footage. I was thinking of looking for some decent snes remakes or squeals on PSP. I will be playing through the banjo and conker games after I get an N64 usb controller next month. What are some games that I should consider?

Does anyone know how Chrono Trigger HD is coming along? I just found it.

2. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Dolphin also runs wii games, if you don't know.

Baten Kaitos for the Gamecube (dolphin) is a fantastic if somewhat strange RPG. It uses a card based system, but it has full voice acting and a great story.

Arc Rise fantasia is a good J-RPG for the Wii. Weak english acting, but you can turn them off. It's compatible with gamecube controllers, so the controller you're using for gamecube on dolphin will work.

If you haven't, for the sake of Horus play Xenoblade chronicles. It's one of the best RPGs of the entire generation, no joke. Fantastic voice acting (all english and canadian), memorable characters, engaging story and a great battle system.

Zelda games for Gamecube and Wii as well are always good choices too.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

I'd stick to jrpgs with subs the dubbed versions have awful voice overs in most cases.

Hyper dimension rebirth is decent on PC. Has a fun story and does not take itself to serous. Like most jrpgs it's a grindy game. The second one you get xp boost thing and it's a lot less grindy. ( you can get a similar item in first game but it's 30 hours + to that point)

Outside of that true jrpgs are hard to find. Ignoring final fantasy the choices are few.

The list of PC released jrpgs is tiny. If you have a PS3 Star ocean is brilliant.

4. Tomhyde1986

Tomhyde1986 What's a Dremel?

Tales of Symphonia on the game cube would be worth a look.

5. silk186

silk186 Derp

I don't own any consoles. I have dolphin and game with an official wiimote (remote plus with nunchuk and sensor bar) and 360 controller.

Baten Kaitos looks familiar, I think I bought it for a friend.
    Arc Rise looks good.
    I triend a Xenoblade on PS2 before so I will look at Xenoblade chronicles
    Zelda is good, was playing link to the past and before that skyward sword. Both are great fun.
    Tales of Symphonia is another I've missed
    I haven't heard of Hyper dimension rebirth, it looks like a dating sim. Is it like Brave Soul or Knights of Xentar?

Looking into what is good for PSP as well. I haven't played all of the FF games and it seems that some have some good remakes.

6. Darkwisdom

Xenoblade chronicles is unrelated the series on PS2. It's just a similar name, it confuses people.

Hyperdimension neptunia (rebirth depending on which platform) is a JRPG which functions a little like a dating sim. You don't actually 'date' any of the characters, but the conversations functions similarly. It's funny, sometimes obscene, and the voice acting is Excellent, english or japanese. The battle system is unique but it works very well once you work it out.

PSP does have a few RPGs worth mentioning. Gods Eater burst is an action RPG similar to the Monster Hunter series, but it's set in a post-apocalyptic setting. Crisis core if you're a FFVII fan, as it tells Zack's Story in an action RPG which is very good. There's a few persona and Shin megami Tensei games on the PSP as well if you like those. There's Jeanne D'Arc, Wild Arms, Star Ocean: Second Story ( which is a port of the PS title, but it's been done well).
    For the PSP, one of the very greatest RPGs is probably Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky.

7. silk186

silk186 Derp

I have not played anything in the persona and Shin megami Tensei series, where should I start?
    Is Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky better on steam or PSP?

This is one of my main problems, which versions of which games in which series are the best...

8. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Chrono trigger (SNES) and Chrono cross (PSx) for me. Vagrant story and Breath of fire 4 (PSx) + Breath of fire - Dragon quarter (PS2) are worth playing.

9. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Haven't played many JRPGs, but I really enjoyed Tales of Symphonia. It's been very long since I last played it but I remember the story being really interesting; it's long too (I don't know any other Gamecube game that used 2 disks).
    The combat was great, I have lots of fond memories of playing local coop with my brothers to defeat the tougher bosses.

Golden Sun is fun too. It had a few tedious bits, but the story was pretty cool.

10. Darkwisdom

The steam version I'd say.

And persona is named like final fantasy, in numbers, so start from the first one.

Shin Megami Tensei is a little more confusing, it has multiple games on multiple platforms, with many different suffixes, so.... not sure there. Digital devil saga is a good start, good games.

Loved Tales of Symphonia, the Tales games in general were fantastic. There was a few more games on PS2 and they're all great in their own ways.

11. silk186

silk186 Derp

with persona does it make a difference where I start, with final fantasy the games are not connected.

12. Darkwisdom

Not particularly, no. I've only played persona 3 and 4 and I don't feel as though I've missed out at all.

13. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

The Persona games are independent of one another, set in the vaguely the same universe, but with different story mechanics, etc. They're a different spin on the Shin Megami Tensei games, with a bit of social/dating sim thrown in. They can be pretty tough, though.

I won't copy 'n' paste my thoughts on various JRPGs from another thread, just provide a link...

If you PSP emulate, the Disgaea games on the PSP are well, well worth it (as discussed in link) otherwise, I've been pleasantly pleased to discover a fair amount of JRPGs (mostly the Idea Factory/Compile Heart games) coming to Steam... Agarest/Zero/2 I actually quite enjoyed, despite struggling horribly with them at points due to the utterly unforgiving nature of the way the games are set up. They're also on GOG if you don't want DRM.

I've also enjoyed the Hyperdimensional Neptunia games, along with Valkyria Chronicles. Fairy Fencer F has been released, but I've not played it yet.

Legend of Heroes is better on Steam, IMO, largely because of the tweaks and typo corrections that have been made.

Also, while I'm probably going to get flack for this... FFXIII-2 on Steam isn't half as bad as I thought it would be, given how much I hated FFXIII...

14. Darkwisdom

No, i think you're right.

XIII is a massive insult to all of gaming. It's half finished, the PC version is just atrocious - possibly the worst PC port ever made.

XIII-2 isn't much better, but it's at least more of a 'game' rather than just auto-battling. The port isn't bad either, with proper graphics options this time.

I think all of the XIII games are pretty bad RPGs, and I've played at least one game in every RPG series I know of.

15. silk186

silk186 Derp

ok, I will skip XIII

16. rollo

rollo Modder

Ff13 depends a lot on the user. Some love it and some hate it. It's the only final fantasy I know to split the users so much.

Ff13 has better late game content than ff13x2 which gets a bit easy if you over farm
    Or use the better monsters. Ff13 you can't really over power the optional stuff and getting 5* for all requires some tactical thinking of Google for the lazy.

Ff13-2 you basically use the same 3 monsters in all builds ignoring dlc extras. ff13s main character is a dlc monster in ff13x2 and it's super overpowered and is basically game breaking if used.

Lightings revenge is the best of the 3. The battle system is fun and your banned from all dlc till the second play through. Not so much fun with dlc cloud and yuna costumes are stupidly broken.

Most fun I've had is probably from hyperdimension it's a bit grindy and the story is a bit nuts but it is funny as hell. It does take the mick out of a lot of existing jrpgs.

17. Darkwisdom

I've not played Lightning Returns, the third one. But out of the first two - of which neither are particularly good games, XIII is just god awful. Any game out of any other series has it beat really. It's one of the only cases where the second game is better.

18. silk186

silk186 Derp

thanks guys, bookmarked for after I finish The Legend of Heroes - Trails in the Sky
    It is pretty good so far except I have to run it in windowed...