1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Looking to buy a new HDD hard disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by boss1983, 6 Feb 2015.

1. boss1983

boss1983 What's a Dremel?

I am looking for a suitable 2TB storage heavy games, software and movies and more.
    Recommended wd WD2003FZEX black?

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Yep, nice and quick and you get 5 years warranty. WD Blacks have been my go-to performance option for some years now.

Of course, 1TB SSDs are coming down in price now so it won't be long before we can consign the mechanical drive to multi-terabyte backup solutions, and have all our games and media served to us lightning fast ;)

3. boss1983

I'm dying to buy a 1TB SSD but money a lot 450-600 dollars for me. It is better to buy a new computer future with 1TB another year or more.

If you have suggest otherwise.
    Seagate ST2000DM001 2000GB?
    They say it's really bad if this is true?

4. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I was in my local PC shop the other day, and they said that they don't touch WD drives with a 10ft barge pole (the green leaf ones). They use Seagate ones and said they have less failures with them than any other drive.

I now don't know what to think, hence why I've not bought a new HDD yet, :D.

I reckon you'd be fine getting whatever, if Seagate are selling more of the lower cost 2TB drives than WD black (which I would say is highly likely) then you will see more negative reviews of the Seagate than the WD.

£45 is a big price gap between the Seagate and the WD, and I'm not entirely sure it's worth it.

5. nimbu

nimbu Modder

Horses for courses, all drive will fail regardless of manufacturer. (Having to RMA a WD Red 6TB after failing within a month).

Will I buy WD again, sure. Will I always have backups of data I dont want to loose, hell yes. Now a days I look for a drive with a good warranty and is lightest on my wallet.

Blacks are great for high performance, at least until large SSD's come down in price. If you are flexible on the size you might be able to squeeze into a 512GB drive.

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

This. If reliability is a concern then opt for longer warranties and make sure data you can't stand to lose is backed up.

Whilst there are many general opinions touted with regards to which manufacturers are more reliable, and studies on disk reliability, they're far from perfect (e.g. limited sample, specific models/revisions). Environment also factors very highly in drive reliability, so just because some sample set says Seagate/WD is more reliable than the other doesn't mean your experience will be the same.

Last edited: 6 Feb 2015
  7. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

At the moment I'd be buying a cheap mechanical drive with a reasonable warranty and average performance for media/overflow storage (movies don't need fast storage), then putting the savings towards a bigger SSD.

5 year warranties and slightly improved performance/reliability are great, but it will still be night and day compared with an SSD speed wise, and in 2-3 years that warranty will have fairly limited value due to cheaper bigger SSDs (and HDDs for that matter).

And as above regarding failures/reliability.
    Back up is the only protection whether you go for the cheapest drive you can lay your hands on or a horribly expensive enterprise drive.

8. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Everyone will have had a bad experience with one brand or another. I've always had issues with Seagate drives so I tend to avoid buying them.

The majority of my drives are WD in one form or another. Apart from whatever is our laptops which I think are Samsung and Seagate drives.

9. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

WD (also Hitachi now that they are owned by WD) are always higher price than basically anything else so I never buy them. I usually go with Seagates or Toshiba as their prices are much better, like able to get a 4TB for the price of a WD 2TB. Performance wise they are also plenty fast so no reason to complain there at all.
    Any drive can fail. All brands have put out bad models at one time or another. You can always buy 2 same size drive in different make and/or model, one to use and one for backup. Thats a good way to protect against data loss to drive fails.

10. boss1983

WD black loud noises right?

11. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

No more so than any other 7200rpm drive in my experience.

12. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .

13. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Hitachi (if you can get a proper hitachi drive) are the most reliable but they do cost more.

14. JamesRC

JamesRC Minimodder

It's a tough call. I've had so many hard drives die over the years it's not funny. I feel that WD drives are more reliable, but you have to pay for it...

I'm not overkeen on the latest Seagate .14 editions as they have unnerving noise issues. If I were buying again, I'd buy a WD Red.

Either way it's all about backups, because regardless of the stats any drive can fail.

15. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

I have a few Hitachi and WD Blacks in various servers at home. Both brands have been reliable for me (as much as any mech drive is) only comment from me is the Hitachi's certainly seem to be the noisier of the two; if that is a consideration for you.