1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Looks like I need a new mouse mat, recommendations?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeStorm, 17 Sep 2012.

1. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

OK thanks. If the usb port couldn't cope then it is possible it would fail only when moving fast as at that time the largest deviations in X and Y movement are being transmitted very quickly. But then again I'm not entirely clued up as to how these things work :)

"The Boogie hates it" seems to be the only explanation then :p

Edit: here's some information on flawless sensors: http://www.esreality.com/post/2024663/mouses-using-flawless-sensors/

The list is a few months outdated, but the EC1 and EC2 EVO version (which you have) use the same sensor as the Zowie AM, so look for the AM in there.
    (FYI The original non-eVo EC1 and 2 use a different sensor that has prediction)

Last edited: 21 Sep 2012
  2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Trying 2300dpi and really low W7 and in game settings, might be ok actually.
    Are there any downsides to that over a low dpi?

3. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Well no actually, in theory the higher DPI should always be better than low because the mouse is sending more information so your slightest nudges should be recorded, more so than with a lower DPI.

(FYI the possible disadvantages of a high DPI is if the case exists where the sensor doesn't truly give the stated amount, and instead uses software interpolation to simulate it - that is basically losing information so should be avoided. An example of that would be the Sensei, the Sensei can go up to 11,400 according to the marketing, but anything above 5400 is just interpolated in reality)

Luckily for you, the ADNS 3090 actually behaves optimally at 1800-3500 or something DPI, so 2300 would be recommended.

Regarding W7 mouse settings, for true 1:1 behaviour the middle setting is best, but in reality choosing a lower setting does not affect your tracking once you are used to it, and is identical to a lower DPI at higher W7 setting. Many professionals have the Windows setting slider at 3rd or 4th or 5th notch. But anything above the middle setting (7 I think is the middle setting) will cause loss of information again, much more drastically than you would expect too (like windows will add extra pixels of movement to the cursor to make it seem faster).

To conclude: Zowie at 2300 DPI is recommended.
    W7 settings at the halfway point or below are compulsory so as not to lose information.

4. GeorgeStorm

For the mouse to be comfortable on the desktop at 2300dpi I've got it on the 3rd slider in W7.
    Will do some more testing though to see what's what :)

5. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Sounds good, the 3rd setting IIRC will omit every second signal or something like that, so it will be identical to having half of 2300DPI. So:

Mouse sends 2300DPI, Windows halves it to 1150DPI.

If you had the mouse at 1150DPI, and the slider at the middle, then it would be:
    Mouse sends 1150DPI, Windows leaves it as is.

I think the numbers are right, but it is definitely something along those lines. I read an article on it a while back :)

6. GeorgeStorm

I'm not overly fussed what it does on the desktop aslong as the speed is something I'm happy with.
    Main game I play uses raw input so W7 settings won't matter. I'll just have a play with other games etc and see what sliders I need to change etc.

7. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Btw the best mousepads in the world are
    the Artisan ones. The good models cost the earth and have to be imported from Japan.

Be prepared to spend about £40-£50!

8. GeorgeStorm

Right, since moving back to uni I tried using the mouse on the desk (wooden) and it seemed to work fine with no skipping etc.

So I'm going to get a new mousepad. Don't mind spending a bit if it'll last and will be good etc.

So you'd recommend an artisan if I don't mind spending the money? No question?

9. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Yes Artisan make their pads with the utmost care and attention to detail, and they are really good as a consequence. Be sure to research whatever pad you are thinking of going for though, I have heard some issues regarding cleaning dust off the Artisan Hayate cloth pad. Make sure at all times that you know what you are buying and that it will suit you.

Btw I had a look into negative acceleration/skipping with the EC1 EVO sensor, and found something interesting. The mouse has such a low lift off distance, that people using cloth pads reported that the mouse would basically skip during fast movements because the players tended to lift it just a tiny bit too much off the pad.

A hard pad may solve this issue, explaining why it happened on the Bug but not on a wooden desk with you.

Have a look at the Artisan Shiden, it's a unique glass coated bendable mat. I've got one on the way to me now actually, I can give you a review soon hopefully.

10. GeorgeStorm

Had a look, and they look pretty nice.

Yeah it does have a very low lift off distance, so I guess if you're not pressing down on the pad, the slightly uneven nature of the cloth could make it skip I guess?

What are the downsides of the glass compared to the cloth? Glass seem to be cheaper, which I wouldn't have thought would be the case.

11. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Well it isn't glass like the icemat or il-2, you can bend it like a standard cloth qck. It's just this special coating it has.

Difference is basically the fundamentals of cloth vs hard. The Shiden (glass coated) has a fast initial motion, a lot of glide and is less easy to stop in comparison to the Hayate (cloth). Of course this is all relative, both pads excel much compared to the the likes of the cheaper options on the market.

As for cost, it could be due to materials used, for example the cloth one may be much thicker than the hard one. Not sure myself :)

You may want to find out more about the cloth one, it is much more tightly knit compared to standard qck pads so the low LOD of the EC1 might not be an issue.

Be sure to watch many YouTube videos comparing the different options!

12. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Quietpc seems to stock a lot of Artisans btw

13. GeorgeStorm

Yeah Quietpc is where I've looked.

Been looking into it more, and just checked with mouserate checker or something, and my hz is variable it seems? It's meant to be at 500hz, but it varies from less than 100 to over 1000 :/

That probably isn't helping things?

14. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Check it against other mice see if it's normal.

15. GeorgeStorm

Seems to be :/

Regardless, going to do some more research into those glass surface artisan pads.
    Might look at some slightly cheaper options aswell.

16. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I've got an Artisan Shiden mid, absolutely love it. Would defineatly reccomend.

17. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Bought a mionix propus 380 off Hamza and love it. razer destructor now put away as a spare

18. GeorgeStorm

I'd have to get the large, but yeah it does look rather good.

19. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Not size, hardness. I have a bigger size one, not sure which but it's wider than my Poker. They have different hardness of the inner foamcore, xsoft, soft, mid, hard, xhard. Mid is probably closest to the density of average office grade pad, so you can still press down on the mouse for quick stop as it will dig in a little bit since it has some give.

20. GeorgeStorm

Ooh, only the XSOFT versions seem to be available from quietpc.
    And sizewise I think both the medium and large would be bigger than the poker according to:
    http://www.quietpc.com/art-glass