1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Looks like I need a new mouse mat, recommendations?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeStorm, 17 Sep 2012.

1. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

The large is pretty massive, 43 or something cm in length, 32 or something height.

To compare, the standard QCK is 33 or something cm in length, and less in height.

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I guess I have the large one then. I didn't like the soft, found it way too squishy, let alone xsoft. Maybe you like that, but otherwise I guess you might try to find somewhere else that carries the other versions.

Also I have the white one, and I have to clean it CONSTANTLY. It's pure white and the glass makes it kind of sparkly so it shows any dirt like no other.

3. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

About softness, the Artisan definition of XSoft may differ wildly from the softness quoted by other companies, just to bear in mind :)

4. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

I covered an old glass Ice Mat with some 3M di-noc carbon fibre I won in the mod of the month contest a while back.

Turned a pretty decent mat in to the single best mouse mat I have ever used. It's important to point out that I've added teflon feet to my mouse and taken the weights out. Slides like a dream.

5. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Yeah, the Large sounds good :)

Sadly they're not available in the UK it seems :(

Yeah, may just go for another pad though, if I save money on the pad it might mean I can spend more on another mouse to try if I want etc :p

Also something I've noticed is the mouse will move on it's own when I leave it.
    Nothing major obviously, but just tiny movements, as though the entire table is vibrating enough to move it? Any ideas?

Last edited: 30 Sep 2012
  6. GeorgeStorm

Fair enough, it's the kinda thing I could put on any hard flat object?
    Or wrap around or whatever.

What mouse are you using?

7. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

Yup, I guess any old hard mouse mat would do the job, I did it to a freebie one at work and it's just as good. I'm using a G500 at home and a MX Revolution at work.

You can get it for less than £4 off ebay.

8. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

You can order any Artisan directly from their website, takes a few days to reach but you don't pay much more than what QuietPC charge you anyway.

About the random movements, I have no idea :D Have a google for it.

9. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Actually have a check for dust in the sensor or anything like that. Could be the issue.

10. GeorgeStorm

Had a looksie on the artisan website, very tempted although still a fair amount of monies, especially since I've got the itch to try out other mice :p

Do you mean take it apart?

11. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

No no just look at the sensor area and ensure no lint is there. Have a Google about it too.

Artisan pads are pretty premium things, only bother if you are serious about gaming IMO, interested in playing at closer to the professional level. Or if you have money to burn and just want something ridiculously nice :)

Check out the Goliathus and puretrak talent those are pretty awesome cloth pads that are worth a look too.

12. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Just to throw this in to the ring (and I apologise if I've missed any requirements you have, I think I've read most of the posts) - I've got this http://steelseries.com/products/surfaces/steelseries-ss

I think I've actually got an earlier version as I've had it for years. It is a phenomenal mouse mat.

13. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Yeah suggested that one earlier too ;)

Good mat no doubt!

14. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

My bad :)

It is a good pad, especially for the price as well.

15. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

I've got a £50 mouse (when I bought it a few years ago) a £70 keyboard and a 50p mouse mat :duh:

Shiny black card doesn't cost much, buy a square metre of it and cut to size, my G9 slides across it like it's on air, some won't like the feel of it but at least it's cheap to try and you've not lost much if it's not for you :clap:

[​IMG]

16. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I have the Razer Mamba (first generation) and it's the best mouse I've ever used.

Installed a third party battery to boot and it just goes on and on. No mouse mat, HARDCORE me! :)

17. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

LOL you should think about balancing that setup out imo (provided you don't have any other more useful parts in mind to buy).

Maybe a £30 mat, make it a nice gradual lowering of price, a sensible ratio of keyboard to mouse to mat :)

18. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

I've ended up using black card because I could not find a mat that I liked :rolleyes:
    I don't like padded mats they all seem to have too much give in them and end up curling at the edges and the hard shiny surfaces that the more expensive "mats" often have are too hard, overly slippery and skittish.

Maybe I should patent the card as the "Ultra Mouse Black Gaming Surface" Ultra thin, super smooth, cut to your own size and easily replaceable, add extra layers to get the exact feel and response that today's intense gaming demands, hype, hype, hype :D

19. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

You should do that :D

Of course if you're happy with it then enjoy yourself! I am intrigued as to what that surface feels like though, seems very interesting.

20. GeorgeStorm

I like the idea of the card :p

Well I keep putting this off, so I'm aiming to buy it today.

Current frontrunners are:

Puretrak Talent (£20)
    SteelSeries Surface S&S (£25)
    Artisan ShidenKai (£45)

Any other options?