1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Loricatus by shinji2k

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by shinji2k, 9 Oct 2014.

1. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

I have plenty of spare tops so I really should experiment with that. I figure I should start with 0.02" since that's the width of the slots and then try your 1/32". I've sort of moved on from the block for now since the prototype actually works (surprisingly), but I'll eventually get back to it. I really need to get the case design sorted out so I've been back to working on that. I'll figure it out one of these days :wallbash:.

2. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

I've been teaching myself Solidworks.

[​IMG]

Flow modeling was relatively easy to get to work, next up is figuring out heat transfer simulations.

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Damnnit. I sat and vegged on that for a full minute.

4. Vognen

Vognen Minimodder

Do you take custom orders for that top? :lol: Looks great

5. Ocelot

Ocelot Minimodder

Ooooh... that looks neat Shinji. Can you recommend a specific resource for learning flow sim?

6. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

The animation got sped up a bit when making it into a gif but it is kind of mesmerizing. It's neat how water accelerates through the channels and then creates a vortex on output. I hope to experiment with minor tweaks to improve performance once(if) I figure out the thermal simulations.
    I'll make all the tops you want, however, you're on your own for the base :p.
    Actually Solidworks has some pretty good tutorials either online or within the program. Between that and the occasional youtube video I think I have a reasonable grasp of basic modeling and assembly, of course I'm going to need a lot more practice. As for that animation, it was made with the FloXpress Wizard which is actually pretty easy to figure out using their tutorials. But FloXpress is really only meant to be a quick and dirty simulation, the Flow Simulation add-on is a whole different beast which I'm just starting to play with.

Last edited: 5 May 2015