1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink Losing 30kg in 100 days... my little Crusade :)

Discussion in 'General' started by phinix, 3 Jan 2010.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

It is funny.. and not;)
    Guys, general question - do you think would it be possible to loose 30kg in 3 months?
    It sounds really serious.. hard work etc:duh:. Let me tell you why I'm asking:)
    I don't know how about you, but for me loosing weight was always rather impossible than actually something I could do easily.. or just do! Thorugh my whole life I tried lots of things, but never worked for me. I'm reeeeally lazy:D For the last few weeks I've been thinking about it a bit more serious and I thought.. maybe.. well, maybe I could get some support from you guys:)
    I don't want to start a blog or sth like that, just wanted to talk about it here with you.
    Did you or do you have weight problem?

2. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Is it possible? Yes.

Is it healthy? Probably not.

I'm not expert, but that large amount of weight in such a short time seems like a lot to me. Anyone else wanna chime in?

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Tons of cardio would be one way, but you'd probably end up starving yourself too while running 18 miles a day.

4. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

A friend of mine lost about 15kg in a similar amount of time by just eating less, don't have any tips of my own though as I've never needed to loose weight.

5. Malvolio

Malvolio .

I'm all for people looking to get in shape!

Let me tell you of my story: at seventeen I clocked in at an impressive (but for the wrong reasons) two-hundred, eighty pounds, while standing at only five foot ten. Needless to say, this didn't suit me well... Though it wasn't until just about everything in my life had gone to pot that I realised just how bad my weight was (I won't go into it). So, I buckled down, cut out just about all foods (except for the basics - bread, water, some meat, that sort of thing), and started exercising like crazy (just got out onto my bike almost non-stop, every day).

This resulted in a full one hundred pound weight loss over the following three months from when I started this radical diet. Not only was I somewhat slim, but due to the job I had gotten at the end of the three month period, I was starting to grow a lot of upper body muscle.

Despite this success, I would never recommend anybody to try this, as there is a very good possibility of death, and other minor side-effects.

However, fast forward a few years to the spring of two-thousand nine, and through multiple problematic relationships with larger women (with bad eating habits), and a bit of loss of control over what I was consuming, I had rebound back up to a flabby two-hundred thirty pounds, with absolutely no muscle definition. Once more, this didn't sit well with me.

After picking myself up from a rather bad breakup, and facing the fact that I wasn't going to find a job in the city I was living in, I started a radical change in my life: reduce my diet to three small meals a day, no snacks, no chocolate, and exercise every day. I had dropped nearly thirty pounds within a few months of this, and though staying with it, I am now at a sparse one-hundred, seventy five pounds. That is the lightest I've been since I was in my early teens.

What am I doing now that is so effective, and yet am able to stick with it though the long term? Simple: breakfast is a bowl of cereal (high fibre) in 1% milk, lunch is two fruit and nut bars (and the occasional bag of home-made cookies, or muffins as a treat - once or twice a week), and dinner is something small that is high in protein - fat is irrelevant in my opinion. For exercise, I ride to and from work for a total of an hour a day of pushing pedals in the real world (my winter bike clocks in at a scamp forty pounds, so it's a good workout), plus I'm a mechanic by trade, so I do a good bit of physical exertion at work, and I try my best to do about twenty kilometres on my trainer at home (a single-speed road bike on a set of rollers) every day.

The key is to work treats into your diet. I've found that doing a good bit of baking helps loads. Chocolate chip cookies (with shortening, rather than butter, and no salt) are awesome, as well as muffins, brownies, or anything of the sort. I do still drink alcohol, but not to the point of carb-loading (not that I ever have), which basically means one or two bottles every couple of days.

I'm here for ya ;) Feel free to ask me what you like about my diet, or weight loss, I'm more than happy to tell you anything you like.

I do not pretend to be a doctor, so take my advice with a grain of salt, however, I've never seen somebody not do well with this type of exercise and dietary plan over the long term.

6. Matticus

Matticus ...

It entirely depends on how much you weigh. If you weigh quite a lot, but have the will power to push yourself then its very possible.

If on the other hand you are just a little over weight, then its very unlikely you can lose that amount without doing something very drastic.

Either way, setting a target is a bit of a double edged sword. It will help you achieve your goal but it also means you are drastically changing your lifestyle and diet which never works in the long run.

The best way to lose weight is to gradually change your diet and exercise plan, not only will it help you get into the habit but it will also give your body time to adjust so the results will last longer and it will be a hell of a lot more healthy.

30kg is something like 5/6 pounds a week, which is probably too much. When I piled on the pounds after drastically cutting down my exercise, I put on weight, then sort of plateaued out. The same was true when losing weight, in the first week I lost 5 pounds, I was about 16 stone (6 foot 1), then the next week was more like 1 pound.

2 pounds a week if your are a bit overweight, 3 if you are a bit bigger is probably an attainable target. This obviously doubles or triples your target time. But it will work in the long run and also weight loss isn't a linear process, you will probably find you visually look very different after only a few weeks.

I am no doctor, but am reading speaking from my personal experience and my own research into the matter.

Whatever you do, good luck and keep us posted :thumb:

7. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

You lose pounds and you loosen a belt.

/grammar nazi

:p

8. Mr Mario

Mr Mario What's a Dremel?

I have to agree with wafflesomd 30kg in 3months sounds to high. 30kg in 1year sounds more achievable, without to much pain. You could do it in less time but you would need a stricter diet and exercise routine.

I used to be quite large (a good 4 stone heavier than I am now). I lost weight mainly by changing my diet, so not to many snacks, I used to drink lots fizzy drinks and fruit juice now I pretty much only drink water/green tea and protein shakes. I then started running, went from running twice a week to 3 times to most days. I hatted running at first, but now I use a gym about 4 times a week and really enjoy it. I think the most important thing is not to see a short term routine as your goal, but to change your diet and life style indefinitely. You don't need to be over the top with it, treats every so often are ok. Also doing weights is really good for losing fat because more muscle with consume more calories.

The forum on men's health http://www.menshealth.co.uk/ is really good for learning routines and getting tips on diet plans.

Edit:
    QFT

9. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

There are drugs out there that will speed up the process...

10. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Good. I tell you guys, I was affraid that noone will reply:)
    Now I see I can get support from you, so first - the plan. I will explain what I what to achieve, share some details.
    So....
    I'm 29 years old, 132kg of weight, 178cm. Sorry, I cant get your feet, pounds thing:) I think that would be above 20 stones or about 265 pounds, 5'9 tall? ...
    I don't look fat.. I'm just built heavy for some reason. I have some fat, dont get me wrong, but if you saw me you wouldn't believe I'm 20 stones:D

Why 30kg? I don't remember when I saw two digit number on scale when I was standing on it:) I just want to go under 100kg.

Why in 3 months? On 13th of March I will turn 30. I'm scared...;) I still feel young and I don't want to die in next 10 years. I know that after those years being "heavy" I already worked out some health problems that will come up in next 10-20 years, but I believe I can do something and change my life. I know.. for some of you it may sound stupid.. but for me after years being a "big man" I'm really tired of this. I'm extremely lazy, hate commitments, love chocolate and meat;) So it will be hard:) BUT - I know that is someone will support me I am able to achieve it! See, 7 years ago I lost 15kg (from 120 to 105kg) just because I was embarrassed to show up on my wedding that fat... Right.. What I did was me and my fiance for 3 moths before our wedding had a walk every day, it was about 8km walk, every day. Plus some small diets being changed once a week or so. Just a walk and some diets. One of my favourite diet was to eat small meals for 5 days, then eat whatever I want during weekend:) Guess what? I didn't eat a lot during those weekends, just didn't want to loose what I achieved in a week, so always had some snacks and some treats but never a lot.

Drugs... hit me! Let me know about good, working fat burners or whatever its called, but I need to know that they work and won't do "anything else" to me;) I had some drugs recently, really good, what they did was they let you feel full all the time, cut off your hunger, even if you didnt eat anything. But the thing is I failed.. again! I stopped taking them, started to eat a bit more.. and all came back all over again..

To make it short... I know I can do it again... Second reason to do it is - in march-april, I will be going to visit my family after 2 years of not seeing anyone, plus want to see my best friend - we haven't seen for 5 years. Everyone remembered me as 120-125kg big man. I want to show myself (and my family) that I could do it. For me top achievement, "boiling point" is 80-90kg. I think with this weight I would look thin! But first I want to change my habits and satrt to like moving.. I mean excercising. Cause.. to be honest.. I hate it...
    Now. I went through hundreds of different diets, some worked, smoe not. Mst of the tiem they didnt work cause I failed. So believe if I keep myself off all my bad eating habits and going to gym I can do it. I know its possible.

So.. what I could try is I could start it now and try to see what is going to happen in next few months. I will cut down the amount of food in my meals and will go to gym 2-4 times a week. When I go to gym I excercise for 2 hours, 10 miles on cardio, 2-4 miles on steper or bike, then some heavy lifting...

P.S.
    Now.. lets get back to modding..:)

11. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Don't take any drugs. Period.

They're a crutch for those whom are not actually willing to do the work needed to get their body as they would like it to be. Plus, as you've experienced first hand, they're a temporary measure. So, please, just stay off them.

Otherwise, it sounds like you've got a good idea of what you need to do, so get to it! However, don't expect to drop those thirty kilograms in three months ;) You'll be lucky to drop that much in twice that time. Don't let this discourage you though, as changing your physical and dietary habits are fundamental to a healthier living style, and a more functional body. So stick with it past your thirtieth birthday, alright?

12. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I know, 30 is too much. I could end up in hospital;) So.. let's say 20kg! Why not! I need a target!;)

13. knuck

knuck Hate your face

14. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

for the first two weeks the you're weight will drop quickly as your body uses up its water reserves, the body stores a lot of water in its fat.

Then you'll suddenly spot loosing weight, this where a lot people give up because they think its impossible. At this stage your body needs to burn the fat away and its tough but doable.

May I ask what your trade/work is? Hobbies like sports?

I mean 130kg+ at 178cm is fine for a rugby player or an active trades men like a builder.

Oh and another kicker which hurts a lot, when your exercising as soon as you feel fatigue that is the point where the body starts on its reserves, so you have to push harder.

I miss training, all during college power lifting was the game for me, started uni and focused on studies, got flu during my first holiday home and by the end of my first year i had gone from an athletic 95kg to a 70kg shell and never recovered since.

Can't wait to fin uni and get back at it!

15. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

I managed 30 pounds in 2 months through a calorie-controlled diet alone when I was 16 stone. It went by pretty quickly, actually, but after a couple of years, the weight did come back.

I'd reckon 30kg in 4-5 months is possible and healthy, but faster than that, you've got serious rebound issues, as well as potential poor health during the period. Having said that, you're starting from a higher weight than I did, and are slightly shorter than I am.

A slimming group membership (Scottish Slimmers, Weight Watchers, etc) will prove more valuable than a gym membership here.

16. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

30 pounds is about 15kg. In 2 months - that is great result! I believe 20kg could be fine for me in 3 months.. OK, now I really want to do that:) I think I will start from tomorrow morning...

What is that slimming group membership? What do do they do?

17. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

I was a member of Scottish Slimmers. They give you guide books on what to eat. By their diets, you can have certain amounts of food per day, and some foods you get an unlimited allowance of, so you won't get too hungry (you can have fruits, vegetables, diet soft drinks, etc as much as you want!). They do a "set meal" range, where you're supposed to eat what they tell you, but I just went with the standard calorie-counter plan (they call them Checks - 1 Check = 25 calories). You get an amount of Checks based on your weight, and you're allowed those calories, plus the same number of grams per fat every day.

So, for example, if you were allowed 60 Checks per day, that's:
    (60 x 25) = 1500 calories per day.
    60g of fat per day.
    As much of the "free" food/drinks as you like.

You go along, meet up once a week, get weighed, then get some advice on diets, as well as some recipe cards, etc. It's really good, and nothing will motivate you faster than being in a room full of ladies who are getting weighed at the same time! You can't let the side down! ;)

18. grritsshawn

grritsshawn I'm not insane I'm a modder

along with lossing weight its hard to start at first but one thing losing weight the foods u stop ur self from eating and the certin things u dont eat can hurt ur body

19. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

The way that I've worked it out (and I have lost a little weight this way) exercise is key... I don't understand how I'm 22st, 6ft3, and yet I cycle 8 miles a day at least 3 days a week (think doing that in about an hour, with nothing but hills between your home and destination, then it's a bit more strenuous) and two days on top of that, I scooter/walk at least 6 miles, and yet I still look like a beached whale (cue harpoons jokes)... I should mention I have a bowl of cereal on a morning with .1% fat milk, two ham sandwiches on brown bread for lunch and usually chicken nuggets or some other kid's sized portion for dinner/tea and that's it (apart from the 4 or so litres of tap water I go through a day, but no way does water retention count for the 6 stone I want to lose)

In short, some people can't lose weight at a stupidly fast rate like that, I lost about a stone in about 3 months (put it back on over Christmas, not happy about that) so don't be surprised if you do stupid amounts of exercise and lose 10kg in that timespace.

20. Senny

Senny What's a Dremel?

90% of weight loss comes from diet, the other 10% is the exercise. There's a saying, "Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym.". If googles calculations are correct 132kg is 291 pounds and 178cm is about 5'8 - 5'9. You need to find out how many calories your body requires to maintain your current weight and then drop 500-1000 off. The more calories you drop off your maintenance number the faster you will lose but that isn't the best way to go about it. It is best to start off with -500 and if that's working for you then stick with it, as you lose the weight you will constantly have to readjust the numbers because the amount u need to eat at 291 compared to 200 will be entirely different.

Over the last two years I have lost a LOT of weight. Started off close to 30st and am now sitting in around 14.5 st. That is about a 200lb drop of weight over 2 years. If you need any help shoot me a pm and I'll be happy to pitch in. Good luck and stick with it mate, all it takes is dedication which you seem to have.