1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Lost Data

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by MadGinga, 4 Dec 2009.

1. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Hi All,

I've been somewhat of a muppet. In a rush to re-install windows I failed to check which drive it was going to install on, so I managed to install windows onto my data/storage HDD. :duh:

Basically, I did the following:

Booted from the windows xp cd
    Deleted the original partition
    Created a new partition
    Formatted the new partition (using the NTFS (quick) option)
    Installed windows
    Disconnected the HDD

What are the chances that any of my files are recoverable?
    Is it something that can be attempted by myself (I'm loathe to try and make things worse) or is it worth finding a "professional" data recovery firm to do it for me? I've emailed a few and i've had widely varying responses from "easy, we can recover all your data" to "anything under the windows install is gone".

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :waah:

Cheers

MadGinga

2. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

IMO your files are lost mate. Take this as an important lesson learned and backup regulary.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

You could try a professional recovery service, but once you start writing more files to the disk you're in real trouble.

4. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

If you have a secondary storage drive you may be able to restore it yourself (never restore to the drive you are recovering from)

For the best chance of recovery stop using that drive and instal an OS to a different drive NOW.

You can try some data recovery apps yourself such as GetDataBack (NTFS) or similar. If they allow you to restore/can find your lost data it's worth purchasing and most are around $40-$50 which isn't too bad.

I had to do the same from a failed SD card the other day, have a quick forum search as thats where I found my recovery software. Search for "data resovery" and trawl through a few posts and there should be something that will help you.
    If the data is just something like music you've ripped off your CD's, game installs etc, and not irriplaceable stuff like Photos then just chalk it up to experience and get re-ripping :)

5. MorpheusUK

MorpheusUK a Noob that knows something

been there done that, lesson learnt.
    Best option allbeit very pricey is a data restore service, never did trust apps on a DIY basis.

6. johnmalc

johnmalc That shouldn't happen....

Don't give up as easily as some here suggest.... GetDataBack or EasyRecovery Professional have allowed me to recover data that has been deleted and the drive then formatted. Neither are pretty but they do an excellent job.

7. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

8. Akava

Akava Lurking...

Your best bet really is a professional recoverer service, you might get lucky with a free app, but the chances are just as likely that they will just make it worse.

I wish you luck as I had a similar experience some time back, but I hadn't written any files to the hard drive, just formatted it, so I got lucky.

EDIT: I think it was FreeUndelete I used in the end, it doesn't sound like a great app, but it worked a charm.

9. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

I have used getdataback successfully in situations like yours. However, it's not going to get 100% of your data back; sometimes portions of that data is just gone because it's been over written too many times.
    I would suggest that if you are going to try to get the data back, you don't use it anymore until after the data restore attempts.

10. Ravenheart

Ravenheart What's a Dremel?

I've used this PC INSPECTOR™ File Recovery 4.x several times and it's a very good piece of FREE software so you could use that or this PC INSPECTOR™ smart recovery both apps are from the same company.

2 excellent programs and both FREE! And both have recovered a lot of files even after a format and because you've only done a quick format you have more chance of recovering your files, but do what someone else suggested stop using that particular drive right now as you risk overwriting the "free space" where the files you've lost originally occupied.

Just so you know by the way the files are still there (the ones you haven't overwritten by putting something else on the disk) you just can't see them! That's where recovery software comes in, chances are you won't get all your files back but you should get a fair amount back and these professional services people are talking about are usually only for if something really major has happened to your hard drive like it's been damaged/won't spin/has suffered static damage etc and they would charge you a small fortune, but trust me you won't need a professional company as the 2 programs (and others mentioned) will recover a hell of a lot of your files.