1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Lost wap54g admin panel...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fusen, 17 Dec 2004.

1. Fusen

Fusen What's a Dremel?

may seem abit odd, but I have lost the address to the admin panel for my WAP54G its default is 198.162.1.1 but I changed it when I first installed it as my router, befdsr41w used the same address and it became confused, then I couldn't remember what ip I set the access point to and so I changed my router to 10.1.1.1 and reset my acess point and then tried 192.168.1.1 but still couldn't get the admin panel. I've also tried things like ipconfig /all to see if it shows the ip of the access point but that just shows my routers ip.

is an odd request lol but can anyone help me locate it?

2. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

You have to have your IP the in the same range as the router. So your IP would have to be 192.168.1.* to access the router. I experienced this at a lan party. Took a while to figure it out too. :wallbash:

3. Fusen

Fusen What's a Dremel?

my router is at 10.1.1.1

do you know of any programs to brute force ip's so I can scan from a certain number on my network to see if any give a responce

Last edited: 19 Dec 2004
  4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Why not just hit the reset button on the back of the router? That little tiny thing that needs a paper clip...

5. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Yeah, I have experienced the same "problem" (it was more forgetfulness on my part in that instance!)

I seem to remember the reset button didn't help in my case - it might in yours.

To get around it, I downloaded the software from the linksys site. When you install that on a computer connected to your network it searches for all the access points. From there it'll not only tell you the IP, but allow you to change it.

You might need default username: admin and password: password

6. Fusen

Fusen What's a Dremel?

:]

7. Fusen

Fusen What's a Dremel?

I still have the CD doesn't matter what pc or laptop I try and use it on it can't find the access point on the network :/

8. mikecx

mikecx What's a Dremel?

Do an ipconfig and look to see what the gateway is set as. It should be 192.168.1.1 if it's been reset. If it hasn't been properly reset, while the router is on hold the reset button for about 30 seconds. Do an ipconfig /renew. If the gateway still isn't 192.168.1.1 go to http://gatewayaddress. If it's seeing it as the gateway on dhcp and you are getting an ipaddress from it and you still can't get to the control panel you may need to RMA it.

I'm also not sure on the WAP54G but if it does have a wired port you can use, use it. When doing any kind of administration use the wired option if there is one as wireless communication can sometimes cause problems. I know it's different but on the WRT54G when it's reset the wireless is disabled and it must be connected by cable to be changed. If it does pop-up remember the default name/pass is blank/admin.

9. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

if the MAC address is printed on the unit (all good brands do this) then just add the MAC address to an IP (any IP) in ur ARP table, then that machine will be able to talk to it, via that IP you've just added.

(start -> run -> cmd -> arp -h)

10. Fusen

Fusen What's a Dremel?

it just shows the gateway of the router

11. Fusen

Fusen What's a Dremel?

I did this from main pc (wired) and laptop (wireless) and setting the ip of my laptop on both times to that mac address of my access point didn't seem to do anything also the command to view is -a and to set a ip is -s, -h didn't return anything

12. Rod10k

Rod10k What's a Dremel?

everyones fav friend...

Nmap

I beleive that that can scan a set range of IP and tell you if it "sees" anything

Rod

13. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Be careful with the software... the one on my CD was different from the new stuff on the web.

14. Fusen

Fusen What's a Dremel?

using -sP to just ping any hosts doesn't work on internal networks and using the other options like -sT, my router seemed to have stopped it from seeing anything anyway I did a scan on nmap -v -sT -O 10.1.1.1-254 and theres at least 3 pc's online starting at 100 to 103 and it didn't pick any of them up let alone ip's that I don't know

15. Rod10k

Rod10k What's a Dremel?

you could try ethereal

It is a packet sniffer but you may well pick up some broadcast packets such as "This is x where can i find y"
    Maybe clutching at straws but worth a try I guess

Rod

16. Fusen

Fusen What's a Dremel?

gave same results of just telling me the ip of my router

17. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

Personally, I think Cain and Ble work best for cracking network passwords, however, Nmap works extremely well also, but Cain and Able should work fine. Link

18. Fusen

Fusen What's a Dremel?

I'm sure that would help if I needed to crack the password ;P

19. Phrozenpenguin

Phrozenpenguin What's a Dremel?

Think this is the program i have used before.

Put in an IP range and it scans it. Found the stuff on my network, including print servers etc. There are loads of similar IP scanners on google.

20. Fusen

Fusen What's a Dremel?

the only guide I can go with is that the ip either starts with 10.x or 192.x so scanning it is gonna take a while

Tags: