1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOTR First Mod (Caran Rûn) [many updates]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Hacker2B, 10 May 2004.

?

Project Name Caran Rûn

Poll closed 2 Jul 2004.
  1. Like

38 vote(s)
    76.0%
  2. Dislike

12 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. Hacker2B

Hacker2B What's a Dremel?

LOTR My First Mod (Caran Rûn) [small update]

I''ve just started a Lord of the Rings themed Mod to a computer that I'm planning on putting together from all new/new-to-me parts. Yesterday I picked up an ATX case w/235 watt PSU, a broken CD-ROM drive :thumb: (it's a secret), a 48x? CD-ROM drive "working" (which i've got to take back 'cause it doesn't work at all), and a floppy drive for about $30. I'm too tired to download ftp client software from my extremely slow high speed internet provider's webpage but i'll do that and post pictures of what i've done soon (tomorrow?).

I'm still looking for good pics for the side window. Maybe the fellowship all trudging along through the hills, or the writing on the one ring, maybe even mordor. It could be a combination of side-lit, etched plexi and/or cut out of the case itself.

I'll also probably put a Sting shaped window in the top, a blow hole in the front, and some lights inside.

The only work I've actually done so far is draw the maximum size of my side wondow on the case, remove the giant "Laser" from the supposed-to-be-broken CD-ROM drive, and taken out all the covers from the drive bays. I'll actually do something as soon as I don't have too much homework. :dremel:

Last edited: 3 Feb 2005
  2. Hacker2B

Ok, i'm gonna see if the pics are gonna work.
    [​IMG]
    Ok, good, it works. Above is the area I have to work with for the window on the left side. Below is the main case that I have to work around.
    [​IMG]
    The drives I got:
    [​IMG]
    And some dissasembling of one of them.
    [​IMG]

I'm considering using one of these pics for etching the plexi windows.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Does anyone have any suggestions for patterns to put in the window shape in the first picture? Either one of the above, or something else. :idea:

Last edited: 12 May 2004
  3. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Welcome to the forums!

The pics do work.

[off topic]A fan of LOTR are we? (01001100010011110101010001010010 )[off topic]

4. Hacker2B

Ok, better stop that. Binary takes up to much space. :D :hehe:

yes, you better stop that - Mister_Tad :nono: /cleans up

Last edited by a moderator: 15 Jun 2004
  5. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

yeah this 8 characters for 1 character is alittle much

6. Hacker2B

I finally got the pics of Moria gate and Sauron eye to work in the second post. What should I use? for a window shaped like this:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 12 May 2004
  7. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

69662062696e61792074616b657320757020746f206d7563682073706163652c20686f772061626f7574204845583f00

and you should'nt hotlink I would highly reccomend www.photobucket.com its free
    i personally have over 300 images; check it out

Last edited: 11 May 2004
  8. Hacker2B

Photobucket comes up as a search site. I'm hosting all the pics from the webspace my ISP provides.

I have 10MB of space with 300MB bandwidth per email address.

Last edited: 11 May 2004
  9. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Don't worry, not many people I know could make it through the first time. The Silmarillion is a fairly difficult read. All I can say is just stick with it, and don't try to plow straight through it. Take your time. Read 2 pages/day if you have to. I can guarantee that you will be satisfied when you finish it :)

That being said...

I definitely think you should go with the Moria Gate etching on the window plexi. It would have a kind of dual meaning. Not only will it look nice, but the window itself is the door to your computer. Get it? The etching signals the door to Moria and your computer ;) To top it off, you could light it with a bright white or light blue color to duplicate the Moon writing look. Perhaps you could even incorporate a photosensitive switch, so the writing "appears" when you turn out the room lights...in other words, when the sun goes down, the words come out. Maybe I'm going overboard here?

As a dedicated Tolkien fan, I'll certainly keep my eye on this one. Keep up the good work.

-monkey

10. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

11. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

I have this exact case that is in line to be modded in the next few months. Cant wait to see how this comes out!

I like the ring scroll, and not the gate scroll, IMHO...

:thumb:

12. Bob 1234

Bob 1234 What's a Dremel?

THe 2nd pic idea u posted looks like a really nice (albit difficult) coutout for a cd-rom drive.. it's already in a circle. I liek the case should make things inturesting.

-Bob

13. Chief752

Chief752 What's a Dremel?

I modded this same case last fall. Can't wait to see what ideas you come up with for yours. :D

14. Hacker2B

Thanks Jesse, I set that up and it seems to be working.

The Ring writing would be pretty cool on a cd-rom drive. I don't think it would scratch the disc and it's already a circle with part missing just like the tray on the drive. I might want to get some old cd trays to practice on, and maybe a backup. :dremel:

I just got some rubber gasket material. Remember the supposed-to-be-broken cd-rom drive? :idea: Well, I'm going to make a cup holder/coaster for my computer. It will have a cd glued into the tray, to cover the hole, and this rubber glued on top of that. Without the Giant "Laser" in it, it won't break trying to spin the glued in disc. :rock: All u have to do is push eject, and u have a place to put your soda.

[​IMG]

I'm testing some glue on it now.

15. Hacker2B

Ya, I probably will end up doing the gate on the window. I'll look into phosensitive switches. that would be pretty cool. :thumb:

The only other idea i have is to have the two towers, Orthanc closer (on the left) and Mordor in the distance (on the right). Kinda like this:
    [​IMG]

But I don't know how to get a good picture of the whole thing, and it would be too complicated.

16. Hacker2B

Oh, good, that worked. IE crashed right after I submitted it.

17. Hacker2B

I'm almost finished with the cup holder. I think I will glue the CD to the tray to help stiffen it (right now it's loose). Anyway, here are some pics:

Sanded the cd to help the glue stick. I guess that cd won't work anymore :hehe:
    [​IMG]

Here it is glued on
    [​IMG]

and now I have a 54x cup holder! :naughty:
    [​IMG]

Now, about the windows...
    >Where would you recomend getting LEDs for the edge lighting?
    I've been kinda looking at the LEDTronic website

>I was thinking about buying a cheap automatic night light and taking it apart to try and use the photosensitive switch in it. It might burn up or not work though.

I also got a different CD-ROM drive (50x) that is acting really weird. It won't eject when it's empty, but it will when there is a disc in it. I tested it and it reads CDs perfectly. The used store i got it from hadn't tested any. Maybe it could be fixed. If i give it a little help with the emergency eject while it tries, it works.

I think I'll put the Moria Gate on the right side window, maybe fogged and maybe controlled with the photosensitive switch, with white LEDs on the edge to illuminate the etching; the sting shaped window on top with blue edge and background lighting; also the ring script on the CD-ROM drive tray; and I still need something semi-simple for the left side. :worried:

****, I should have been doing my Biology homework. I'll have to do it on the bus.

Good night. :yawn:

18. Hacker2B

Yay!! I found a high quality picture of Sting. The pic is actually too big even when it's scaled down a little. :rock:

[​IMG]

Oops, I forgot to go to bed.

19. rankie

rankie What's a Dremel?

you should be able to get "photosensitive switches" at radioshack, you just need to know what to look for(I can't remember the proper name for the switches, I'll dig out my old electroncs book)

20. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

they are called LDR's Light Dependant Resistors, they do pretty much what they are called, the more like the less resistance, there is a circut you can make which turns on when enough light gets through and off when there is little, instead of having it directionally proportional