1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOTR First Mod (Caran Rûn) [many updates]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Hacker2B, 10 May 2004.

?

Project Name Caran Rûn

Poll closed 2 Jul 2004.
  1. Like

38 vote(s)
    76.0%
  2. Dislike

12 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. Hacker2B

Hacker2B What's a Dremel?

Thanks for LDR info. I'll check that out the next time I can get into town.

I think i'm going to use the picture of Smaug from the Hobbit on the left window. I printed out all the patterns that I'll have to cut and taped them on the case to see what it's gonna look like. Note: Sting will probably be a little bigger.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm also going to make a custom fan grill for the blow hole in front. I don't know what to put on it though. It could be a rune, dragon, ring, sword... :confused:

2. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

Hi! nice pics! what program did you use to print out that sword? I need a program to print out the large dragon on the right side of my case.

Keep up the good work mate :dremel:

3. Hacker2B

Thanks.

I used Microsoft PictureIt, but it's not even really designed for it. All i did was position the large image of Sting over the small paper so that about half was on the paper and the other was hanging off. Then I printed that. Then you just move it over so the other half is on the paper and print that. Leave some overlap so you can tape 'em together. You would also have to move it up and down. Decide on how many pages first, probably 4. Also, if you have a Dell printer, the software that comes with it has an option for printing large posters that are composed of up to 16 pages.

4. Hacker2B

I finished the Etching of Smaug for the left side window.
    [​IMG]
    And edge-lit:
    [​IMG]

I think it came out pretty good.

5. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

try putting the light on the other side of the etch so that it lights it up more or try more than one led to increase the effect

6. FourDee

FourDee What's a Dremel?

a bit off topic but:
    This sometimes happens to me too, how come?

7. Acid Burn

wow nice dragon! I hope my dragon will be as good as yours :baby:

8. borumas

borumas What's a Dremel?

Nice etch there, looks like a nice project, I'm working on a LOTR themed case as well although I have been busy and not done much in the past month. Here is the thread on mine if you want to check it out and maybe get a few ideas:Project "Pellenor Fields"

9. Hacker2B

Thanks.

I will have lights all around it. i was just teting to see what the edge lighting looks like.

borumas, you're project looks great. I haven't read all of it yet :) ,but it was one of the cases that inspired me to start this.

Computers are too complicated with too many switches. Someday it won't happen. Maybe...

10. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Glad to hear that. When I first saw the picture I was hoping it wouldn't be so small...that would just be a shame. Maybe you should also try tilting it a little to one side, so that it doesn't just run down the middle. If it goes form one corner to the other, it might look a little more interesting ;)

Well, let's see...you have Smaug on one side (looks very nice, by the way!), Sting on the top, and Moria Gate on the other side. I think a rune of some kind would help fill out the theme. the first one that comes to mind is Gandalf's rune. I'm at work right now, so I don't have access to any of my books to grab a scan. Here is the best I can find (thanks Google):
    Gandalf's "G" rune

I think that would be pretty keen for a fangrill.

The progress you've made on thise case is really inspiring me; I think I know the theme my next case will have. I'm thinking maybe Bag End for the side panel, using the sky as the negative space and the rest of the details painted on as a mural.

Your case is looking good so far, keep it up.

-monkey

Last edited: 28 May 2004
  11. Hacker2B

Thanks. I think the "G" would be good too. and it's simple :D . And the angled sword. It would look like Frodo set it down on my computer!

12. Kolmik

Kolmik What's a Dremel?

Now computers really DO have cup holders.. :D :D :D (thinking back to horror stories in tech support)

13. Hacker2B

Hehe, ya. I was trying to find instructions on how to make a (more advanced) cupholder for a CD-ROM drive but I only found thousands of sites with the same tech support joke. :D

I'll post more soon. I cut a window.

14. Hacker2B

Window

I got the Left side window cut! I did part of it with a dremel and my dad did some with a jigsaw. I also got a couple handles for the cover to make it easier to remove. I've decided that this case is going to be a red and black theme.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    note: the above is just lit with a couple of little flashlight keychain things. it's going to be edge lit and ahve a few "cannon lazers" inside.

I also transfered my old Gateway P2 166MHz mobo into the case. It's pretty crowded inside. I am hoping to buy components for a completely new, good, system. I'm looking into getting a SATA 120GB hard drive, an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (maybe overclocked), and an Abit KV7 SocketA ATX Mobo.

I overclocked for the first time! I got my P2 166 MHz all the way up to a wopping 199MHz!!!! Now that's what I call high performance! :D :rock: :jawdrop:

15. Hacker2B

Does anybody want to do my homework for me? :confused:

16. Acid Burn

I like it! :D

17. Etacovda

Etacovda What's a Dremel?

Incidentially, that larger tower is housed here at Te Papa, its pretty amazing to see close up... actually, I'm not sure its still here, but it was a couple of months ago.

18. Hacker2B

Here's the rune G on the fan grill. What do you think?
    [​IMG]

19. Hacker2B

Are you talking about Orthanc? That would be cool to see. I wish I could go to New Zealand.

20. Hacker2B

Small Update:

I took apart my keyboard and grouped everything into plastic bags. I'm planning on painting the letters and number pad and main body black and the other keys red. I've bought some paint for plastic. The test peice I did still feels a little wet but it looks like they'll work. I also got some gloss black paint for the case. note: i'm thinking of having the drive fronts red.

>I need to find some way to put the letters on the keys. I'll try typing without them but I doubt I'll be able to do it. I know where the keys are but I have to look down to type half the time.

Here are som pics:
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]
    Paint:
    [​IMG]