1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Lots of networking / server questions.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SparkuS, 4 Sep 2005.

1. SparkuS

SparkuS What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Server
    Intel Pentium III 500MHz
    256MB RAM
    40GB HDD for system. 160GB HDD for storage
    Windows Server 2003 ??
    Purpose: 24/7 server for running Azureus, FileZilla, FireFox and Ultr@VNC

PC1
    Intel Pentium 4 630 3.0GHz
    512MB RAM
    160GB HDD
    Windows XP
    Purpose: Gaming / General-purpose

PC2
    Intel Pentium 4 1.7GHz
    1GB RAM
    80GB HDD
    Windows XP
    Purpose: Gaming / General-purpose for my brother

Laptops
    Windows XP
    Purpose: Word processing and browsing throughout the house.

That's the basics, now for the questions.

a. Is Windows 2003 a good choice for the Server operating system.

b. Have a look at my network diagram, is the server placed in the best position? Would there be any advantages to placing the server inbetween the modem and the router?

c. I already have a wired router at the moment. I want to replace this with a wireless router to enable the use of my laptops throughout the house. Can anyone recommend what I should buy? It is important that the signal is strong enough to work well throughout a fair-sized house. I've been looking at the D-link DI-624 and the Netgear WGT624.

d. I'd like to control the internet bandwidth of my 2mbit connection. Is there a way to restrict the server to having a certain amount (say 1mbit) during the day, but at night, allow the server to use the full connection to download.

e. Any other suggestions on what I look to be doing?

2. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Nice graphic.

a) WS2k3 is pricey and windows XP pro will do fine for a home network server, and is easier to use, if you want to stop other members of the house using the server, all you need is a firewall to just allow you to access the server, or you could go for w2k as an OS

b) Putting the server in between the modem and router will slow down the connection to the rest of the house. Putting it in the location as in the diagram will not cause you to lose any speed, but the response time to downloads will be affected by a splitsecond, not worth sacrificicing speed to the rest of the house for this!

c) AFAIK Netgear gives the strongest connection with the furthest wireless field. But depending on the material of your house and how big it is you may need a Wireless Access Point. If you live in a terraced house, you will not get much wireless reception. I tend to avoid D-Link as I've seen a fair few problems with their products. And stay away from the Linksys routers, they are bad too. (My opinion anyway).

d) There are some third party software that you can install on your server to limit bandwidth. A lot of download managers will have this implemented already.

This should be enough info for you!

3. ChriX

ChriX ^

I would use w2k as suggested on that spec machine, unless you actually need the things that 2003 does over it, in which case I would get a load more ram for it and hope for the best! Although I think XP pro would do fine too as you don't seem to have mentioned anything that would use the features of 2k or 2k3.

4. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

why're you runing firefox on your server :eyebrow:
    seriously, more ram in the server
    if you're going to be using it as a fileserver try and get server 2003 because windows workgroup networking is horribly slow. Setup 2000/2003 server and a domain, performance goes through the roof :p

5. MrWillyWonka

The workgroup is slow yes, but I use the drive mapping, and it works extremely well for me! And doesn't firefox take up less memory than IE? Also firefox is more stable, you don't want your server crashing don't you. As for reliability, WS2k3 is more reliable, but if you are not actually going be using the server face to face then you don't need to worry about stability so much.

6. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

why would you be running a web browser on a server full stop
    even mapedp drives on a workgroup are slower than domain file sharing
    i use mapped domain drives :p

7. MrWillyWonka

I find it quite the opposite. I don't have any problems and my map drives connect immediatly after I log on to the computer! Domains take time to connect in my experience!

As for the web browser, well he did say that he would be using the server for downloads, so you would use the browser to locate the file? Anyway, it doesn't matter whether the browser is there or not, it only uses a few megs of space!

8. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

dunno seems like a better idea to setup azureus to auto-import torrents from a directory and just save torrent files into the dir

properly setup domain is faster than a workgroup for networking :p
    logon time is marginally longer, like 1 or 2 secs if that, dont even notice it especially when i hardly ever log on as this machine never goes off

9. SparkuS

SparkuS What's a Dremel?

I've decided on Windows 2003. Enterprise Edition, Standard Edition or Wed Edition?

10. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

standard

11. MrWillyWonka

I think it is a bit stupid to use WS2k3. Not only it costs a bomb, it is hard to configure if you do not know what you are doing, there are so many features there, most you will not use. For simlicity, go for windows 2000 professional.

But in the end its up to you.

12. SparkuS

SparkuS What's a Dremel?

Your right. The cost is an issue, however my friend has the Windows 2k3 disk and is helping me set things up. Hopefully it goes smoothly =/

*edit*

thanks for the help btw :thumb:

13. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

illegal servers are always the best :worried: :D

14. SparkuS

SparkuS What's a Dremel?

Completely legit, wouldn't have it any other way.

:)

15. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

using your friends disc to install is illegal unless you've bought a license for it, have you? :)

16. SparkuS

SparkuS What's a Dremel?

Tags: