1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Low Profile CPU Heatsink

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by talladega, 1 Nov 2012.

1. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I'm looking for a heatsink that will perform better than intel's stock heatsink while maintaining the small size.

The CPU I have is a Intel Pentium G620.
    I would like to be able to have my system very quiet. Unfortunately the case I built for it was planned out very well in pretty much all aspects except the cooling.

Right now I have only got the CPU fan and two small 50mm fans exhausting out the back. I dont have room for anything else.
    It isn't doing too bad the way it is, but I'd like to be able to have the fans running as slow as possible, or atleast so they are quiet.

Maybe I need better 50mm fans. I just got cheap startech.com ones.

Any ideas on a heatsink that will give better performance and not be louder or much bigger would be great.

2. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

which case? link please.

3. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

What size-restrictions are there to the height of the CPU-cooler?

A Prolimatech Samuel 17 is 70mm with a standard fan, or only 57mm when used with a Scythe SlipStream SLIM (12mm thickness)

And for the 50mm fans, well.... Noiseblocker BlackSilent Fan XS1 - 50mm are very decent for their small size. They are specced at 6.8CFM and only 16dbA.

4. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Seconded, I've got one in my 2nd rig and it's very quiet and capable.

David, YEHBABY and Teelzebub like this.
  6. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Case is custom built by me.

Motherboard is mITX. I dont need the PCI Express slot. Height is what concerns me the most.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are some pictures.
    As you can see the card reader and the cable plugging into it is pretty much sitting on top of the cpu fan. If necessary, I might be able to to modify it which would allow it only go as far as the edge of the motherboard.

Besides the card reader the only other thing that could be in the way is the USB 3.0 cables that plug into the motherboard. The connector is pretty large and might be in the way.

For height, if the card reader wasn't in the way I have about 1" of room above the CPU fan.

7. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

8. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I just lapped my intel stock cooler and used some proper tim. It's totally fine for the g620. I don't think I've ever gotten it hotter than 60c at full load doing transcoding. But I also have way better air flow in my Lian Li PCQ08. Even still if you haven't done that you might as well try it first before hunting down another cooler.

9. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

This one looks pretty interesting.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2012/10/01/phanteks-ph-tc90ls-review/1

I did under clock the CPU to 1.6GHZ as it is just playing MKVs so it doesn't need to run at full speed.
    I have it set to be on automatic speed control with the target at 45C. Maybe I could raise that target higher?

I'm use to having my PCs run at like 30-35C at the most and very quiet. And with this being a HTPC having it very quiet is a bit more important.

10. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Set the CPU fan to automatic and further decrease the minimum fan speed to 1000rpm. My G550 stays around 30°C that way.

11. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Am I missing something or is there no directed air flow in that case from one end to the other? Like intake A goes across MB to output B?

12. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

With a 25W CPU, it doesn't really matter.

13. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Correct. There is large holes in the bottom panel for cool air to enter the case, but there are no intake fans. This was to keep the the side panels and clean as possible. I will post some pics of it in Modding section yet, but am waiting to totally finish it up.

The inside is ugly but the outside looks very nice if I say so myself.

About the heat and noise, I've been running it for a few days now and the heat does not appear to be an issue. I need to do a bit of wiring on the small fans to get them slowed down and that might reduce the noise enough. If not, that Phantek cooler is what I would probably get.

14. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

He wants quite and directed air flow is more efficient and therefore you can use much slower spinning fans--> quite :D

15. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

16. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London