1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Lucasarts looking at reviving adventure games?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Jun 2008.

1. chicorasia

chicorasia New Member

If I'm not mistaken, most of these games predate MP3 compression.

(Fraunhoffer LLC released the first commercial codec in 1994, Fate of Atlantis was released in 1992...).

Come on Lucas Arts! Stop acting like you're selling the Golden Goose and just release the darn games, before gamers scummvm the heck out of them!

2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Great game, really like the way you can choose whether to go down the brains or brawn paths.

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

You're not the only one.. I reckon it's that mean beard that Norris sports, you know, the one with another fist instead of a chin.

On topic: (Good) Adventure games for the DS please. Hell. (Good) Adventure games for any hand held console, please!

4. riggs

riggs ^_^

As Demon Cleaner has already stated, the size limitation is complete rubbish.

I've done the same thing and have had various LucasArts games up and running on my DS with ScummVM. Ok, so the games take up between 100MB - 250MB, but that's with standard audio compression. Use MP3 and you could get that figure down to <100MB.

Now, as far as I know, the biggest DS cart at the moment stores 1Gbit (128MB), make it completely text based and there's no problem whatsoever.

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It hasn't really died, it's just the point and click method that has died. The only reason it used AFAIK was because of hardware constraints. Look at things like Call of Cthulhu, Dreamfall, Deus Ex, Bioshock, Morrowind and Alone in the Dark game. They all have traits of an adventure game but some decide to focus more on combat because it makes a more adrenaline rushed.

They aren't really dead, they've just evolved, point and click is dead(ish). When I played the new Sam and Max episodes, I did enjoy them, but I felt it was a point and click for the sake of being a point and click.

I would like to see some decent adventure games though, as Joe said in his review of Overclocked, the genre seems to attract bad developers. It would be nice a new (mostly non-combat/non-acrobatic) adventure game though.

6. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

but there are new point and click games being released, they just don't get the main stream media attention of old.

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Hey - we try! They just tend to be crap, like Overclocked. Even if they aren't crap then that's the general consensus of the masses anyway...

8. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

I hope this doesnt turn out the same as the Xbox port of Full Throttle. I almost did a sex wee when I heard about that, no luck. Almost cried.

9. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish New Member

I do believe *sorry* that they're talking out of their arses here :duh:

at the moment i have Day of the Tentacle on my DS flash cart:
    106mb in size and of that 106mb, 93mb is the MP3 soundtrack (extra 1.4mb if you include the actual scummvm NDS rom file as well)

there are plenty of DS Roms of 128mb in size floating about so i really can't see where the problem lies :confused:

Last edited: 2 Jun 2008
  10. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

there's still point and click games, many beeing developed in europe however.
    Check for:
    • "The longest Journey" and sequel "Dreamfall"
    • "Ankh" series (3 games)
    • "Syberia" series (2 games)
    • "The Moment of Silence"
    • "Black Mirror"
    • "Secret Files: Tunguska"
    • "Farenheit" (USA and Canada "Indigo Prophecy" i believe...not quite point and click though)

Xir

Last edited: 3 Jun 2008
  11. timmythemonkey

timmythemonkey Monkeymodder

Joe do they deduct from your pay every time you mention 'that Island'?

It seems odd that they're saying about capacity problems, I'd thought it'd be more a practical one. I can remember some aspects of adventure games, that feature a certain simian obsessed pirate, which are quite small on-screen and I'd imagine trying to find and click them on a DS screen would be near impossible.

As far as capacity, what about the PSP and its UMD format, those can hold up to 900mb (or 1.8Gb for a dual layer) of data! I know the platform may not be as popular as the DS but still, a market is a market none the less.

12. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I read a review of Rhodan recently, seems to be a fairly decent P'n'C game

Tags: Add Tags