1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M³ Car PC *18.8.04 - Case Update Online!*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Der Me!$ter, 1 Jan 2004.

1. Der Me!$ter

Der Me!$ter What's a Dremel?

It's a year 2000 Mercedes E280 :D. Still didn't get any time to take pics of it... I'll do that tomorrow (I hope :worried:)

Yes, thought of that too, however I think I'll leave that to a later point in time. I tried connecting my laptop in the garage over WLAN and was pretty disappointed in the speed. As my parents are building a new house, I will take that opportunity to fit a WLAN antenna in the garage. That is going to take some time though (build the house).

2. Der Me!$ter

Another update!

Took some time working on the project today (instead of doing my math homework :worried:). Anyway, here is the current progress:

I convinced my father to trade his 60GB Maxtor for my 30GB IBM since he only uses around 5GB of that drive. So now I had to copy all of his files onto the new drive, format the 60GB, install Windows, etc. I also recieved some "shock absorbing screws" in the mail yesterday and here is what I used them for:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the HDD mounted :)

These shock absorbing things absorb at least some vibrations from the car and reduce the stress on the HDD (may be unnecessary in some sense, however I don't want any head crashes).

Here's a pic of the PCI card mounting:

[​IMG]

I simply dremeled off the tops and bottom of the card holders and drilled a hole for the mounting screw. The hold rock solid.

Here is the drawer in which I am going to be mounting the DVD drive:

[​IMG]

It sits in the front dash and is relatively easy to remove. I also got down to making a mechanism, which automatically ejects the CD when the lid of the drawer is opened.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see the mechanism of the drawer in the above pictures. The key is that the small "arm" which is hooked onto the rails travels two different paths depending on if the drawer is being opened or closed. When opened, it takes the left track and when closed it travels on the right. So I simply attached a cable to the left track and another one to the "arm". By opening the drawer they touch for a short amount of time closing the connection between both wires. By soldering the other ends of the wires to the eject button of the DVD drive, it will always eject the CD when the drawer is opened. I know I originally intended to eject it using a touch sensor, however I think this way it is far easier to eject the media as you only have to perform one action instead of two (the DVD drive is going to be mounted in the drawer behind the wooden lid :D - if you couldn't figure that out :D). I am going to use the touch sensor for something else...

Last edited: 8 Jan 2004
  3. orb

orb satisfying.

Do you have a pic of the car?

4. Der Me!$ter

Still didn't get to doing that :sigh: I always get home, when it's already dark on school days, so I can't take good pictures then. Promise to do it on the weekend!

Until then just try Google - it's a Mercedes E280 (old version).

5. Der Me!$ter

Got a little late, but better late than never: Here is a pic of the car:

[​IMG]

Some progress has been made in the last few weeks, although not much due to a hell of a lot of homework :blah: Anyway, I enclosed all of the electronics, which are going to be mounted behind the dash into some cases now (includes touch sensor control, start sequence circuit, IR receiver, volume control and LCD shutoff circuit):

[​IMG]

The small case on the left is the LCD shutoff controller. I had to hack the LCD cable a bit as the LCD does not have a power button. I found that the LCD is powered off of 2 4.5V lines and the inverter off of a 12V line. So I simply switched a relay in-between each line. The circuit is designed so that it latches the relays into an on or off position if the touch sensor momentarily closes a connection. This allows the LCD to be switched on or off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see I have two Sub D connectors on the "blackbox". The small 15 pin connector connects to the PC in the trunk and the larger 19 connector attaches to the control panel on top of the dash:

[​IMG]

This is a diagram of the control panel on top of the dash. It is going to be CNC'd out of 2mm black, anodized aluminium. As this is only the design for the front plate, the actual touch electrodes are missing. They are going to be 2mm thick, black aluminium disks (20mm diameter) and are going to be mounted on frosted plexi glass (attached to the back of the front plate) so that there will be a 0.5mm thick plexi circle between the electrode and the front plate. The plexi is going to be lighted up with LEDs (different colors for each sensor), which are going to illuminate when pressed or when they display status (e.g. power).

I also managed to get a semi cheap touch screen kit for the LCD:

[​IMG]

The picture only shows a real quick test mount of it (protective film still on top). Works beautifully! :clap:

Lastly I have gotten some nice connectors I am going to use to wire the amp to the PC:

[​IMG]

I'll try keeping you updated :) ...

6. jonesie

jonesie What's a Dremel?

Excellent work mate. I am amused that you have free reign over that set of wheels :)

btw when can you guys learn to drive? is it 21? When you're 'responsible'? os I want something to justify the fact that all the driving schools in this crazy land use 3-series bmws!! In the UK =wWe have to make do with a corsa or micra, or some equally underpowered pos... :grr:

7. Der Me!$ter

Thanks, here in Germany we can drive at the age of 18, however some people are trying to implement new laws which let you drive at 17, unfortunately only under the supervision of an experienced adult :blah: . And yes, many driving schools use BMW 3 series cars, however the majority use VW Golfs. I've even heard of some using Porsches and Ferraris right here in Germany :jawdrop:

Oh and my father is "not amused" at me doing this, fortunately I am a very convincing person :D

Last edited: 2 Feb 2004
  8. Der Me!$ter

[EDIT]
    Damn, hit reply instead of edit... :wallbash: Someone please delete this post!
    [EDIT]

9. Goldberg

Goldberg What's a Dremel?

Looking good so far. I always love Carputers. I'm thinking about putting on in my car after I got myself a new car.

10. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

wow really nice! wish I had the keys to that car, Very good job on the electronics too, better hten I could ever pull off

11. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

wow, some very nice ideas there, love that electronics

here we get out learner licences, at 16 and 6months, then at 17 we get our Provisionals and then our Opens at 18

12. Providence

Providence What's a Dremel?

I know your handle is "Der Meister," but please, for the sake of the Mercedes, don't put that on the panel. Leave it clean...no offense, but I would laugh at someone who had "Meister Machine" written on any part of their car.

It's a great WIP, that's my only recommendation.

13. fillip

fillip What's a Dremel?

Sweet!

That is some impressive work, especially your electrical engineering knowledge!
    heck, wish i knew how to do half of that stuff.
    Really lloking foward to the finished article!!

p.s. not surprised your dad agreed to swap hard disks with you, look what he's geting in return!!!

.: Fillip :.

14. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

when i get a car i have always planed on putting in a carputer, however since i got my laptop i have been wondering, for those of us with laptops woulding it be easier to build a "cradel" with an inter face for the laptop?

oh yeah, thats some sweet work there.

15. Der Me!$ter

Sure it is possible to do this. Search for car laptop mounting solutions or similar on Google. It is the easy way to get a computer into a car.

16. jonesie

jonesie What's a Dremel?

But cheating and no fun! :D

17. Der Me!$ter

I fully agree!

18. Providence

Providence What's a Dremel?

If you need more resources, check out mp3car.com :)

19. WasfeM

WasfeM What's a Dremel?

Need To know something.

:jawdrop:

Der Me!$ter:

I Just need to know , Wich kind of VGA Card ur using for this screen ( is it 8 pin with the DC connector or is it 6 pin like a normal screen ? )

Im planning to do the same project in my Alfa Romeo 147.
    Please Just inform me .
    Thanks.

20. naelq

naelq What's a Dremel?

look who's here! :clap:
    how do you do Wasfe?! :D