1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M³ Car PC *18.8.04 - Case Update Online!*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Der Me!$ter, 1 Jan 2004.

1. modmaster

modmaster What's a Dremel?

hiya,

wow man this is some dam inspiring stuff. gr8 work so far. just 1 question, what are you using for ur LCD??? is it a laptop screen or summat else, u probs said i must have missed it. :thumb:

ne way keep up the good work. :clap:

2. Dimazz

Dimazz What's a Dremel?

thats pretty cool, i never got how people put pc's into their cars. Where do you get the power? ALso dosent it drain the batter where the generator/recharger thing can keep up?

And one more thing, how would you get it to boot up and to right to a folder with music and all?

Very nice mod heep it up!!

3. Altron

Altron Minimodder

It's powered off the alternator/battery, either through use of an inverter and a regular PSU :eyebrow: or through the use of a DC-DC converter :hip:

It usually won't drain the battery too much (they output a lot of juice).

There are many strange and complex ways to modify windows to do all sorts of crazy stuff, even using winamp as the gui.

4. Der Me!$ter

Der Me!$ter What's a Dremel?

It's a Vampower 7 from Datadisplay. I might add that these cards are mostly very expensive (and extemely slow) and almost impossible to get directly. I got mine off eBay with the screen for around EUR 90. The card has two connectors: one standard VGA and one 44 pin for the LCD (it only uses 16 of those pins...). The 44 pin connector is a digital port connecting to the LCD.

Thanks, to be exact it is a Sharp LQ10D42. It may be used in some laptops although I would expect it to be utilized in industrial computers. I got mine off of eBay. Unfortunately you cannot connect it to a standard VGA or DVI port, you need a special LCD controller to interface it.

Thanks, it is pretty easy to power the PC in a car. Just like Altron said, you can use an inverter which converts 12V DC to 230V AC. I personally am using this option since I am powering a pretty power hungry computer and didn't want to invest more money into a DC to DC converter. The DC to DC converters take the 12V DC from the car and then act like a normal PSU supplying your computer with the correct voltages (this is the more efficent way). The power drainage is quite a lot so you should try to have the car running when you have the computer on.

5. Dimazz

Dimazz What's a Dremel?

do you know where i can get one of those dc to 230v ac converters? BTW im in the USA

6. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Why 230vac in the US?
    Most electronics or car supply stores sell inverters.

This inverter is 400w (which should be plenty to run a PSU off) for $50, to be safe you might want to get two because PSUs take a lot of juice to start up (My antec truepower took 1200w, or at least that's what the box said, to start up, but once it got running it was only using about 200w) and those 2 inverters can handle 600w each, which should be enough for powering up the PSU. However you will need to attach it to the battery with thick wire.

7. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

Since you are in the US, you would want a 12v to 120v converters. Radio Shack has them.

EDIT: Altron, you posted while I was typing.

8. Dimazz

Dimazz What's a Dremel?

Ya i wasent thinnking, i thought they only made to 230. And i was reading the post while typing so i guess i just didnt notice what i typed. thanks, ill stop by radio shack and check it out.

ADD :: Sorry for pooping on your thread!!!

9. wharrad

wharrad What's a Dremel?

That's good stuff man - been thinking about putting a cheap 'puter in my car, but figure I will only have it for another year or so before I get a better one. For now I just use minidisc to play tunes.

Did think about installing something to watch videos, but thought that might be a touch dodgy. I know if a passenger is watching a film, I'll get into it and then crash on a boring motorway. Britain's not really big enough anyway - takes like 7 hours from home to law school once every 3 months and that's covering most of the country.
    I can see the point more on main land Europe or the States.

Does look mighty good though, and being able to check these forums and use ICQ would be pretty cool when I'm going to Tesco.

Just for the driving school point - small cars (golf's) / good cars (BMWs) are used 'cos they're easier to drive and park for beginners. Gives you a better chance on your test see. Also means when you come to driving on the motorway, at night, in the rain, in a big ex-police tuned 180MPH Volvo you have no idea what you're doing - but hey.

(Always thought it weird in the UK you could get a licence without experiancing motorway, rain, darkness or powerful cars - bah)

w.

10. Der Me!$ter

Minor update:

I am currently working on making 3D models of some components of the computer to get measurements accurate and simulate things like flipping down the LCD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also found a VERY nice plugin for girder on its offical website: Voice recognition! It uses the Microsoft voice recognition engine in Office 2003 (or XP) and you can program it to do virtually anything. Currently I have programmed 69 commmands into it e.g. whole alphabet (military style e.g. alpha, bravo, charlie, etc. - it doesn't regognise single letters all too well) or media control: play, fullscreen, shutdown, etc. It does an excellent job of recognising my voice through a headset (even with a lot of background music) so I have decided to order a bluetooth headset:

[​IMG]

With this I can then talk to the computer wirelessly and respond to calls on my cell phone. :rock: The microphone is noise canceling so it should give an even greater accuracy than before. I didn't try it in the car yet, however as already said with very loud background music and had almost no problems.

Last edited: 8 Feb 2004
  11. WasfeM

WasfeM What's a Dremel?

Check ..

Der Me!$ter

I have the 7" TFT Screen , I want you to tell me if its ok with your VGA Card !? ( if you please.. )

[​IMG]

12. Der Me!$ter

It looks like that TFT has an S-Video connector. It will not work with my VGA card, however it will work with conventional VGA cards featuring an S-Video output (most modern cards have this). I however would't recommend using it for anything other than viewing videos as you can generally not read text on those displays. See if you can get a Lilliput or Xenarc 7" TFT monitor with VGA input.

13. naelq

naelq What's a Dremel?

it's not a conventional s-video out! (his my friend! ;) )
    i think that this connector also include the power connection, cause there isn't any other connections.

14. Altron

Altron Minimodder

How many pins?

If it's 4, it could be 2 for power and 2 for a composite input.

15. djengiz

djengiz Pointless.

Very nice! But a merc and M3 combi?

16. WasfeM

WasfeM What's a Dremel?

Der Me!$ter

I guess its not S-Video ,Because as Naelq Said it has just one connector , without any other ****en cables..

it goes with 8 pins , i guess two for Power and what could be the others .. ??
    ( if it is sure that two of them for power so we have six pins .. which connection could it be ? )

This screen is DC12Volt 6 Watt.

17. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Could be component video in.

18. Der Me!$ter

Sorry, I'm out of ideas... :blah: Try asking whomever you bought it from.

19. WasfeM

WasfeM What's a Dremel?

Ok..I will search by myself..

on 22.02.2004 Im starting my project.. Car PC.. On My Alfa-Romeo 147.

To be or not to be that the q .
    :clap: :waah: :clap:

20. naelq

naelq What's a Dremel?