1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M³ Car PC *18.8.04 - Case Update Online!*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Der Me!$ter, 1 Jan 2004.

1. Der Me!$ter

Der Me!$ter What's a Dremel?

WTF??!!! Those names may sound tacky or corny or whatever to you, however I do not care as they mean something to me! Meister is not some name stolen off of American Pie, it was my nickname long before that movie existed. Just in case you don't know: Meister is a German word which translates into Master in English. Tacky to you? Well it's my design, my mod, my father's car! Do you think it is tacky that Creative labs write Creative on all their products or what about BMW (Bayrische Motoren Werke - Bavarian Motor Works)? Those names would probably just sound as stupid in your opinion if they weren't as well known. Also it's not M3 but M³ which has a totally different meaning (not only in math). And no I did not steel this "name" either - read the first post in the thread and you will see what it stands for. Sheesh, you really gotta loose that attitude! :miffed: I know different people have different tastes and I respect that, unfortunatelly you don't. If you want to comment on my design please do so in a more mature fashion.

Thanks to all of you guys who supported me!

Last edited: 4 Mar 2004
  2. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Do you mean to tell me that this comment wasn't sarcasm?!?
    That's patently sarcastic. And my response was justified - it's fair enough for someone to makes one rude comment then apologise for it, but someone who appears on the boards purely to slate other users' work, then comes back at people who tell him it's not on by insulting the entire purpose of the forum deserves to be told where to go, which is precisely what I did.

Anyway, can we just drop all this o/t "banter" and let Der Me!$ter have his log back?

3. Der Me!$ter

Thanks mclean007! I do think your response was justified. You were just reacting to the immaturity of rooroo.

4. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

Keep it on topic guys, don't destroy someone else's log with distructive comments. :nono:

5. Gnemelf

Gnemelf Minimodder

like the way those plans look :) I can't wait to see some more :thumb:

6. J453

J453 What's a Dremel?

lololol thats you told, i think it sounds great!

excellent mod! keep up the great work!

btw you ARE the master!

Last edited: 4 Mar 2004
  7. tekcajder

tekcajder What's a Dremel?

... fantastic mod :eeek:

just one question, whereabouts did you pick up the touchscreen for the lcd?

8. Der Me!$ter

You can get the touchscreen at DigitalWW. They ship worldwide :thumb:

9. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Mei$ter did you get the panels yet? I'd love to see some moddage. ;)

10. ubernewber

ubernewber What's a Dremel?

hey, how bout hooking the computer into the OBDII on-board engine interface, then you would be able to have the cars health and other statistics on your comp
    all ya need is a OBDII serial interface

Last edited: 8 Mar 2004
  11. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

/me wants updatage :)

12. Der Me!$ter

Sorry I didn't update this log in a long time. I had a lot of stuff going on around school, etc. so there was little time to work on this project.

Anyway, the panels have arrived and they are just plain BEAUTIFUL :thumb: !

[​IMG]

The touch sensor/status front/rear panel with the touch sensor electrodes

[​IMG]

The TFT with mounted touch screen and the front panel (rear panel not shown)

[​IMG]

Test fit...

[​IMG]

Test fit again...

[​IMG]

The connector panels

[​IMG]

The DVD front panel mounted in its housing

[​IMG]

And finally the new DVD drive I got off eBay. It is far better than the Pioneer I intended to use as it is smaller (you can remove the front bezel), less susceptible to shock and has a better loading mechanism which pulls the CD in "gracefully" without having to shove it in half way.

Unfortunately I am currently having a lot of problems with my TFT. It worked fine until I mounted it in the custom case. On first mounting the touch screen didn't work because the cable had a break in it so I had to unscrew the whole case, replace the cable, etc. When I put everything back together again the TFT just gave me a blank screen. I re-soldered all connections, replaced all cables, etc. - nothing helped. When measuring the outputs of the controller card I noticed that it supplied 2.3V instead of the usual 5V to the TFT. However, even when connecting the TFT up to an external 5V source I only got a black screen with a couple of vertical colored lines. I guess I must have fried the controller somehow :waah: The major problem now is trying to get a new controller which fits the TFT without spending a myriad of money. I am trying to go for an VGA A/D board or a DVI interface as the PCI controllers give me problems when playing back larger movies because of their minimal RAM. Currently I am trying to participate in a group buy of a Dicon A/D board over at MP3 Car Forums It will take some time to get this fixed... :(

I'll try keeping you updated!

Last edited: 29 Mar 2004
  13. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Wow, those look great! :thumb:

Too bad about the TFT, hopefully you can fix it. :duh:

14. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Wow! Those panels are awesome! Whever you sent them to have them made did a fantastic job! Your design looks very pro...should fit in nice in the Mercedes... :thumb:

15. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

yes.. it looks good

16. Altron

Altron Minimodder

The input/output connector panel looks very professionally done. Well, the whole lot does, but the connector panel especially.

:rock:

17. modderman

modderman What's a Dremel?

Just wanted to say "Nice work" to Meister Man. I believe you said you were 16 - me too - I'm out here in the U.S. and I have been thinking about doing some stuff to my own beat-up 1994 Chevy Suburban. I was thinking about buying an LCD touch screen, but they run about $1900, and I don't have that kind of cash. Your project has inspired me to make my own, if you wouldn't mind answering a few questions for me, please email me your email address at microsoftman@comcast.net. Other than a few trips to the library I am banned from these forums, but I would still like to ask a few questions if you wouldn't mind. Thanks.

18. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

:eyebrow:

19. 1st time modder

1st time modder What's a Dremel?

where did you get those panels made?
    how much did they cost to make?

20. y_N_e_M_a

y_N_e_M_a What's a Dremel?

very nice. were and how were those panels done? and how much did they cost.

Whats sort of switchs are you goin to use for those buttons on the control panel?