1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage M.2 upgrade / clone

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by music4mybumhole, 26 Dec 2020.

1. music4mybumhole

music4mybumhole What's a Dremel?

I need to upgrade my NVME from 500gb to a 1tb drive and need advice on cloning the drive.
    I have an MSI B450M motherboard with 2x M.2 slots. If I simply put a new 2tb drive in the 2nd slot, can I clone my 500gb drive to it whilst using at as the boot / operating system drive?
    If so, how?
    Thanks

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

What makes are the drives - you'll probably find a free version of TrueImage for some of the more popular brands and some, like Samsung handle it with their software suite.

3. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

yes, you can do a clone from the disk you're running windows on. Recently I've been using the free version of Macrium Reflect. You may sometimes run into issues if you're trying to clone to a smaller drive from a larger one.

Does your motherboard BIOS support secure erase ? If so, after successfully cloning, I'd use that on the "old" disk then reinitialise for extra storage. Don't do any erase until you're sure the clone has worked properly - by booting into windows on the new drive.

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Another vote for the free version of Macrium Reflect, although as @David says, a lot of drive manufacturers have their own (rebranded) software.