1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding M bolt question

Discussion in 'Modding' started by _Dan_, 11 Dec 2006.

1. _Dan_

_Dan_ What's a Dremel?

Can some one please help me understand this hol M3,M4,M5 bolt thing i dont get what it means :wallbash: does the "M" mean metric and what does the number after it refer to. anyhelp would be appricated thanks

DAN

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

AFAIK, it's the diameter of the bolt, in millimeters.

Often it'll be something like M5x25, which is 5mm dia. by 25mm length.

3. _Dan_

_Dan_ What's a Dremel?

aaaaaargh so simple :blush: im embarrased, anyway thanks a lot for the help now i can order some and get modding :dremel:

Last edited: 11 Dec 2006
  4. _Dan_

_Dan_ What's a Dremel?

hi just another quick question, say ive got some 12mm thick plexiglass and i want to place a bolt in the 12mm bit to attach it to a case. it needs to be strong so i was thinking of a M4 bolt as that would leave 4mm on either side of the bolt, would this be risking cracking the plexi or should i go with a smaller bolt? thanks.

5. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

M4 should be fine, as long as you make the threads with proper tools and not overtighten them

6. _Dan_

_Dan_ What's a Dremel?

thanks for the swift replies quys :D

7. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Don't be embarassed. I had to look it up at one point too. Last weekend I tried figuring out how to convert imperial units to metric measurements. Now THAT's a challenge.

Now, if you came here before checking google or wikipedia, THEN you're right in being embarrassed.

When drilling into the plexi (to make the hole for the bolt, if it's not yet holey), go SLOW. That's where you have to worry about cracking.

8. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Try to find the elusive acrylic drillbit made to lessen cracking i have heard the rumors.

9. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Stuey, get a calculator that has built-in conversions. I have a TI-86. It's handy for fan airspeed calculations, case masses and tons of mod-related and non-related stuff. I mostly need it for school, though.

10. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

...or use Google Calculator.

11. malccy72

malccy72 Minimodder

Tape both sides of that plexi to reduce chances of cracks.

12. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

I've got a Ti-83 plus but I didn't know it can do conversions. I use Windows calculator for simple things and google's calculator as well.

I spent about 20 minutes now trying to refind the conversion numbers without luck. What I found the other was bold size * .013 + .06 = diamater in inches. I don't know if that's right or not. Oh well I could always find some calipers. =)