1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress M.Z.A. Inc. Presents: RAt MoD - Absolutely no update whatsoever

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_Crapman, 13 Jul 2012.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun. Lover of bit-tech

Bye Bye Paint :) - 15th September

So with my ankle pretty much back to normal and being able to stand without wincing like a big girl's blouse, I finally got all the paint removed off the case. I also went over the panels I'd sanded by hand. I'm so glad I decided against painting it. All the sore fingers and black bogies were totally worth it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With that now sorted I could get to further modifying the panels, sticking pieces of 1.5mm aluminium sheet in various places for various means. Now the keen eye'd of you may have spotted the the upper surface of the top panel wasn't sanded nice and smooth, but rough and ready like a 2 bit hooker. I'd given it a rough sand with 120 grit paper and scored it with the corner of a file, as this gives a good surface for the JB Weld to attach itself too.

Unfortunately I completely forgot to take any pics of the piece of alu that I did the same for and not really knowing how long I had to spread the epoxy before it set too hard (not to mention getting it all over my fingers and having to run and get it washed off quick :duh:) I didn't get any pics of the gluing process either. But here it is all stuck together and held in place with some grip clamps.
    [​IMG]
    There's some blocks of wood underneath spreading the load across the whole sheet.

Here you can see where some of the glue has seeped out from the sides. A wipe with a wet cloth soon took care of that though.
    [​IMG]

That's all for this little update. I really need to get this finished in the next couple of months as I might be moving into a flat soon where there will be no where for me do work. :sigh: But at least it'll kick my arse into gear and get this finished.

So watch out for the next instalment of this crazy craptastic adventure soon crapfans. Same Crap time. Same Crap channel.

2. The_Crapman

Ta da! sorry it always takes me an age to write an update. :rolleyes:
    Thanks very much. :thumb:

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Looking good, mate.

That looks like it was a real pig to sand.

4. The_Crapman

Thanks Dave. It was a real awkward bugger. Powder coated steel and lots of nooks and crannies. I probably would have given up and painted it if it weren't for those drill sanders. Absolute life saver!

Still got to sand down the rad stands and HDD cage, then go over any bits of alu that get added. Might do them with just the wire brush to give a bit of contrast.

5. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

:rock::thumb:I'm loving this build Crapman..

6. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Yeah man really good work there.

7. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Okay that's better.

Looking good mate!

8. Egami

Egami Why is the dremel on fire?

That is one lovingly sanded case. Gorgeous stuff! :thumb:

9. The_Crapman

Cheers phame. Shame i'm already sorted for a res or could have tasked you a little work for it.
    Thanks Andy. You never realise just how much work goes into a build till you do one. I've done so much but still so far to go. :sigh:
    I may be slow, but i'll get there in the end! ha ha
    thanks very much. She sure is a beaut!. Hopefully lacquering it wont spoil the finish.

10. The_Crapman

Houston, we're f****d.

I need your help guys. Just thought of a major design flaw in my proposed loop which would result in flooding. If your a watercooling guru I could really do with your advice here.

Thanks

11. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Have you got your potential flooding issue sorted, Crappy?

12. The_Crapman

I recon so yeh. Spreadie had some adapters for the oddly sized ports on top of the res, so I'll be running the inlets from the top front of the case, down the front panel, then back to the res. I'll put a couple of valves in just before entry to the res to stop it flowing back up when off.

Progress has stalled somewhat again due to a hectic schedule, but should be back on it this weekend.

13. siliconfanatic

Bump
    Not blaming you for a lack of updates mate, I just don't want to see this die.

14. Asouter

Asouter --------

^THIS^ be good to see you get going again Crappy :D

15. The_Crapman

It's beginning to get a bit GwassGween isn't it (sorry cheaps ;)). I've not had any time to anything lately, life keeps getting in the way and I'm moving into a flat this weekend with no place for metal tom foolery. The project will be staying at my mum's house for me to visit at weekends, but there will probably be no further progress till after Christmas. It'll also take some time to save and buy all the fittings and gpu block. Don't worry though, it will get finished. Eventually..... :worried:

On the plus side, these pauses have allowed me time to sit back, reflect and come up with a couple of nice touches that would have been missed otherwise. It'll be worth it trust me guys :thumb:

16. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I have just been through the whole lot again for a recap.. The way you stripped that back is really good. It's as clean as a whistle. Nice work

17. The_Crapman

Thanks very much Jeff, was so pleased how it came out. Some of it was going to get hidden under alu panels to strengthen some panels, but seeing how it's come out I'm changing how they're going in, so most of it should still be visible at the end. Going to go over the PSU case again to give it the same finish too.

18. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

No cheesecake for you!:(

19. The_Crapman

I never get the cheesecake :sigh:

20. siliconfanatic

Sorry for the thread necro, but was browsing through my subs, saw this and
    [​IMG]

Any news on when you might be able to revive this?

YEHBABY likes this.