1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Macbook Pro (June 2007) Inards/Heatsink

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shomann, 11 Dec 2008.

1. shomann

shomann Minimodder

Hey all.

Not sure if this has been posted before, but last week I took my Macbook Pro completely apart. My reasoning was that I felt that it was getting hotter and hotter over time. Since it is well known that the MBP series of computers have had a reputation for generating excess heat and a track record of excessive factory heatsink application, I figured a little surgery was in order.

A mostly empty Macbook Pro shell:

[​IMG]

The Macbook Pro logic board:

[​IMG]

Yikes! Heatsink applied with a chalking gun!:

[​IMG]

Well, its a custom heatpipe alright:

[​IMG]

Dirty and inefficient heatwink assembly close-up:

[​IMG]

Ooohhh shiny!:

[​IMG]

OK, so I was happy with myself. Even more so that I didn't lose any of the 35+ tiny screws and that I got the case back together without damaging it. I took the opportunity to add a new Samsung 500GB HD which seems to be performing just as well if not a little better than the Western Digital 320GB it replaced.

As far as the main system heat goes, it doesn't seem to have helped the temps much at all. It definitely HAS spread the heat across the back of the machine better though - to the point where even when it gets into the 70C range it doesn't feel like there are hotspots as before.

Oh well, I still love the machine. At least I have modded it :-D