1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple MacBook Pro SuperDrive replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mac_Trekkie, 12 Mar 2012.

1. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

I have an early 2009 Unibody MacBook Pro with a dead disk drive. I have a long dead old pre-unibody MacBook Pro with a perfectly working optical drive. Can I simply switch the drives and be able to play disks again?

2. wsmccusker

wsmccusker What's a Dremel?

Well you should be able to if the one from your old macbook will fit in the new one, and that the connector hasn't changed, you know how apple loves their proprietary connectors.

In my experience try taking it to an Apple store. They are very good with their customer service.
    My friend dropped his Ipod into water (i think it was a pool while on holiday) and they gave him a replacement (although it was refurbished) free of charge even though it was 2years out of warranty. Give them a try.

3. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

Tried that already, currently I have a fractured logic board, damaged plastic on the rear antenna cover, so many dents it isn't funny, and a whole host of other problems. They want $1500 for a full retooling, and I can't afford it right now.

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Should work, as the disk from the older MBP will be an official Apple drive (ie: firmware), and both use SATA interfaces. Won't be the same spec (read/write blah blah) as they usually get silent bumps over the years though.

No harm done trying it either. Unibody MBPs are incredibly easy to open up, and your dead machine won't mind.

Seriously, stop going on about this. Apple have used IDE/SATA as long as anybody else, the only proprietary stuff used to be the old Apple Display Connection used pre-2005. Pull your foot out your mouth.