1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Machine restarts when disable network connection

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ErisDS, 3 Feb 2007.

1. ErisDS

ErisDS What's a Dremel?

Hello, its a while since I've been here!

I had just stuck a shiney, new, much bigger harddrive in my computer, and installed a fresh copy of windows on it when I encountered this problem, it could have been around a while... but I have no way of knowing.

I did give my PC a good dusting whilst I had it apart earlier so I'm thinking maybe i shorted or otherwise broke something.

Basically I tried to disable my main net connection and my machine restarted itself. I tried rolling back my drivers and just installing fresh ones and both things also caused the machine to restart.

Just to be sure, I booted my machine with the old drive, tried disabling the connection and lo and behold... my machine restarted.

Giving that it's two separate installs on two slightly different OS versions (both XP pro.. the new one with SP2 included, the old one a naughty copy with SP2 installed on top) and my Ethernet is on-board, I'm guessing this is a hardware issue.

It doesn't seem to present with any other issues, but I was just wondering if anyone had encountered this before and had any solutions apart from getting a PCI NIC? My net is working ok, but I don't like to think there's anything wrong with my PC, especially anything that could develop.

Thanks in advance for reading time and advice, 'tis appreciated,

Eris