1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Macro Black

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by macroman, 1 Jan 2002.

1. Muttsta

Muttsta What's a Dremel?

does anyone here got an alternative to fablon for us north americans?
    this also goes for paint

2. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

you can go to any place that sells airbrush supplies like art supply or hobbie shops... usually called "frisk" film.

For paint, the best thing (at least around me) to use on acrylic is vinyl dye, (special spraypaint designed to for plastics) you can find it at Pep boys or any good automotive shop. Word is, you can find it in Wal-mart in the automotive section sometimes too. Plasticote makes the best that I have found.

You can also use acrylic based spray paint too.

3. DJMyst

DJMyst yeah baby

You can find it in the automotive section at Wally World, but the selection ain't that great. I would go to an automotive store to get a better selection of color.

4. a deadly fart

a deadly fart What's a Dremel?

macroman. was gonna psmg you but for some reason the forum wouldn't let me. anyways I was wondering about scratches. Are there any on the case? If so are they very vissible? because I was wondering which color would not show scratches on acrylic. I figure silver would be my best choice but I would really prefer my case to be black. any input?

5. Green Soda

Green Soda What's a Dremel?

<zombie like>
    UP-DATE...... UPPPPPPPPPPP-DATE!!!! GIVE US AN UPDATE!!!
    </zombie>

6. nadezico

nadezico What's a Dremel?

Hi! i saw ure incredible super nice mod and just wanted to ask u how u were able to make the glass 'invisible' until the catodes were turned on..
    can u please send me the answer on my mail??

henrik_chan@hotmail.com

subject must be invisble glass..okey?
    thank you very very much!!:D

(because i ain't hanging in these forums, thats why.. thnaks one more time)

7. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Green Soda, what is there to update? The project is finished :D

:rolleyes: nadezico did you actually read the article or just look at the pictures?

It is kinda explained in there :lol:
    :nono:

8. nadezico

haha okey..i will read the whole thingy :p

9. nadezico

oh.. macroman..I'm new here to and I'm from Norway.. so my english is freakin bad.

I love ure case so much that i can just say it like this: its mine! :p

kidding

i just wanted to ask you about a thing:

if i had a plexi window on my side door on my case with that black tint film thing.. and after that used an UV-pen to write on the film.. will it be able to see the writing srom the outside?? unless i turn on the UV- catode or other catode??

it means no light at all!!!

because it will be pretty freakin cool just to turn on the UV-catode to see the writings, and then turn on the blue catode to see everything in side!! what ya say??

any other ideas?? thx :D:D:D

i cant figure it out myself!! :wallbash:

10. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

The stuff on the fan controller hasnt been published, at least the last time I checked.

11. Aimless

Aimless What's a Dremel?

I was lookin for the fan buss info the other day and am hoping that macro can stilll put it togeather for his greatful fans

Thanks
    Aimless

12. PillPu$her

PillPu$her What's a Dremel?

Can you paint over tint?

Hi Macro,

I'm in the planning phase of a case mod that is based on macroblack. As you said in the article, this phase is very important because it's hard to go back. I have a couple of questions that would help me decide on my final design:

If there are areas that you would like to be chrome reflected ALL THE TIME (WITHOUT EVER LETTING LIGHT SHINE THROUGH), could you just apply your chrome tint (in whatever shape you want) then paint over it with black paint when you're doing the rest of the case? I think that's what you did on the symbol behind your motherboard. Does the paint react with the tint over time?

Also, I'm thinking of having a chrome symbol that has small holes in it, then covering it with black tint. How difficult was it to tint in between the small gaps of your symbols? Does the film fill those small spaces fairly easily or does it tend to want to bubble? Would you recommend a minimum surface gap (or in this case, hole size) to ensure adhesion of the film?

Thanks.

13. PillPu$her

Diffuse Lighting Alternative

If you wanted to light something diffusely in your case (like the Power HDD light, for example), couldn't you skip the bottlecap and just mount the LEDs directly into a piece of plexi. That way, you could frost the one side, then chrome tint the side with the inserted LEDS. Then, just use black spray paint on all sides of the plexi except the frosted side. Now you've saved some space.

Diffuse Lighting Schematic

Last edited: 5 May 2003
  14. PillPu$her

Enamel paint instead of acrylic?

Where did everyone go?

I noticed here in the forums that you discussed possibly using an airbrush to paint the case. It seems that this might make the painting easier. You mentioned in the article that you used enamel modelers paint for touch-ups. Could you use the same type of enamel paint with an airbrush or would you not recommend enamel for painting large surfaces area of acrylic?

15. Chrommonky

Chrommonky What's a Dremel?

That wire configuration used for the HDD LEDs...is there a way i can purchase that? i'm lost when it comes to wiring, and i really liked that idea. thanks.

16. Darkangel

Darkangel What's a Dremel?

bloody hell

hi new here
    bin moddin a while and got a nice rig to look at..

ive read all MMs article and like a few other it doesnt agree with me, as sed its personal preferance and uv basically put aload of mods in one case, but that doesnt stop me liking them...

Im amased by the originality of mirroring, in particular the window tinting film (id av never thought of that!!) and i can see it being used in many other 'normal' windowed cases.. id be interested to see wot it looked like if the whole case was done in the film (would lack the mirrored effect)
    Lookking thru the article its really hit me the HUGE amount of effort he has put into this case... GJ :thumb:

ps sorry if ive just sed wot someone else has already sed as i read thru the whole of his article and 8 out of 21 pages on the forum thread and tbh it got boring lol

17. eliab

eliab What's a Dremel?

i am 0wned...

...by this case. just signed up but had to add my congrats on this amazing box. i've been inspired.

18. daveppeters

daveppeters What's a Dremel?

I just signed up because I saw Macro Black on the bit-tech website. Are there still plans to publish the continuing article about the fan controller. It looks like this thread has died, but I would like to know how the fan controller works.

19. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

There are many different types of fan controller articles around, you might aswell go look at those. The chances are the one Macro used is quite an old design (it is quite an old case after all) and there will be better options available now.

20. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

Yeah have a search in electronics, along with the pic's you should find all you need to know.

I think it uses 2 bargraph ICs (LM3914/LM3915's) covered in linears IC guide here L http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8965 To achive the cool bargraphs. Not sure about the actual control circuit, probably voltage regulation and as for the VFD control i'm guessing over-ride relays. Could be wrong though

And if your intrested in his work in general, PC Review interviewed him not long ago here</pimp>

:thumb:

Tags: Add Tags