1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Macro Case - by Macroman

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Koolvin, 4 Oct 2001.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

its the electrobus in the article I pointed you to

2. robbydobby

robbydobby New Member

are the pots in this baybus the push on push off?? which have 6 leges on them and not 3 like are shown in the electrobus he only shows a every day pot w/ a 3 way switch

3. macroman

macroman The One

The pots are from http://rswww.com part no.377-4782.
    The pinouts are as follows looking from behind.
    [​IMG]
    1=CCW connects to R1
    2=Wiper
    3=CW connects to R2
    4+5= Switch which is connected in series with the +v feed output to the fan.
    6=Not used in circuit

This pot replaces the one used in this circuit.
    http://www.bit-tech.net/article/52/5

4. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

Nice case and all Macroman, curious to the small 40mm fans on the back, how much noise do they produce, the experience i've had with such small fans is a noise that'll make you tear the hair from your head after a while. Manufacturers quote small db's but the high pitch whine they create the neglect to mention. If anyone knows of 40mm "quiet" fans and where in the UK i could get some, that'd be real sweet.

5. macroman

macroman The One

The 40mm fans are Y.S. Tech FD1240105S-1A
    They are not very loud but you can always put them on a bay bus to quieten them is you want. TBH I don't think they are worth fitting since they don't actually bring any real benefit.

6. Dragon

Dragon New Member

From a computer fair I got some 40mm Papst Fans (£3 the lot)which are very quiet.

What size bolts did you use to mount them Macro?

7. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

I was wondering what beneft they had, they look funky though and at the right kinda level to carry the warm air out from my rad so i may just squeeze a few in. Thanks for replying macro, most appreciated.

8. Nate

Nate New Member

Nice case! :)

Last edited: 24 Oct 2002
  9. Nate

Nate New Member

I'm having a horrible time trying to find those potentiometers. :wallbash: The ones from http://rswww.com, part number 377-4782. Neither RS Components nor any of its distributors will sell to the USA. The part is made by Meggitt Electronic Components (MEC) and its manfucaturer part number is 17PCSA103MC19P. The tech spec can be had here. However, everywhere I look locally looks at me crazy when I ask for a push button pot and seem bewildered when I show them the printed spec. Searching google has not come up with anywhere that sells this part, nor any parts that provide the same functionality.

If you know of a place that can ship this switch to me in the USA or you live in the UK and would be willing to buy this switch and send it to me, please post here or email me (natedone@hotmail.com).

Thanks!

:waah:

Update:

Found the parts at Arrow Electronics and Mouser.

Last edited: 1 Nov 2002
  10. Milk Kid

Milk Kid New Member

First off, nice mods.
    Second, have recently purchased PC60 and am in process of modding it myself. (Possibly use some of ur tips ;) )
    Third, was looking at castors aswell, but became unsure on the one positioned under the mobo tray, did u just drill a new hole away from the slide rail?
    Forth, looking at making Rheostat, but will discuss when time comes to making.

11. Nigel

Nigel New Member

This work is an inspiration! Although I've years (too many it might be said!) experience of PC building, I'm new to the modding scene. For me "quality" is what counts and I've found it at Bit-tech.

A question, if I may: How would you tackle a Pioneer slot drive if one was fitted to the Macro Case?

I have a PC60 etc and in my newbie status I had thought of something like a CoolerMaster aluminium front with a hinged draw flap (instead of attached to anything), but after fitting one to a standard tray-loader I've gone off the idea.:sigh:

I've seen a stealth mod using a Lian-Li bay cover on another site (sorry - I looked!) but wondered how it would be approached from here.

Thanks!:baby:

12. macroman

macroman The One

13. Nigel

Nigel New Member

Ahh, yes thanks. That certainly does look the neatest I've seen. I think I'll be going in that direction. I'll break out the drill and coping saw this weekend!

By the way, do you find the CD drives get hot being next to one another? In my configuration I'll have (from top to bottom) Eksitdata fan control, Matrix Orbital 2-line display, slot DVD drive and then a Teac CD-RW. I know most people worry about temps in other parts of the kit but memory reminds me these units can get warm too.

14. Nigel

Nigel New Member

Just a P.S to that.

Here's an idea... Why not attach the new CD facia, with it's neat new slot, to the back inside of the Lian-li or Coolermaster front panel? That way if you change your mind it's no problem re-using the drive as there's nothing attached to it, and if we still use sticky pads there's still enough movement to activate the eject button. Put the pads at the top half of the bezel only... The way to go would be not to cut off the side plates of the bezel completely but leave eough to bend at 90-degrees outwards to form attachment points. I think I'll do it this way with my newly cut slot facia (took me a couple of hours, on and off, yesterday).

15. Tim S

Tim S OG

16. Nigel

Nigel New Member

:)
    Ah!! Thank you TimS. Marvellous! A breath of fresh air. This mod is still my favourite, most practical, most mostest... And it was what put me on to Lian-Li in the first place, and all those possibilities.

My current PC is in a Lian-Li (PC-7 Plus) too, and undergoing gentle, hopefully stylish, mods. To see this article again refreshes my imagination! :)

17. BioSniper

BioSniper New Member

Cheers Tim and the team for bringing this one back. I remember this way back then and it was a fantastic sight to behold and it's still not really dated.

Practical and well finished without being over-stated, a true classic.

18. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

4 years after bit-tech and this mod and i arrive, and it shows i missed soo much in those years. Very nice and clean looking mod. Shows how simple mods can look good.

Sam

19. Slink

Slink B7

Still better than some of the mods around at the mo. That's how i like it, nice and simple. Clean. Not in-your-face.

Macroman the leg end.

Now get 7 of 9 posted up.

20. Mattt

Mattt Member

ahh i remember this the first time round lol, pritty much the mod that got me into modding

Tags: Add Tags