1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Mad Catz Tritton Pro+ 5.1 Headset review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 12 Oct 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

That's strange, I didn't see pictures of that in the review.

I only saw the ugly glossy white set with the red logo. You know the one that has "trying to not look like a knock-off transforms toy while still looking like a knock off transformers toy" look about it. And what's with that logo? Is it a t-shirt someone cut down the middle?

While the spec looks good, to my eyes it's another GAMER headset with GAMER style for GAMERS into GAMING with their GAMER gear produced by a company that knows all about GAMING and what GAMERS want.

3. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Design should really be 0/30. Seriously that is one of the worst, and most unnecessarily complex setups I've seen.

I feel like these gaming peripheral companies making headsets, completely forget that there is a market out there with headphones that are actually good, and much cheaper than what they're offering. $200 USD will net you a great set of cans. If you really need a mic, get a separate one. Even having them separate is an easier solution than the Tritton.

4. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

isn't that a DisplayPort connector?

5. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

However they would be quickly disbused of that notion:
    Once they realise that line noise with an optical input, let alone unfiltered USB power, is a sign of terribly shoddy quality. Add to that the USB input having to volume control: my ancient XMOD happily controls volume via talking to windows and provides on-board audio processing and surround expansion (both turned off in my case) over USB with no drivers needed. And that was for £30, not £130 (admittedly you have to provide your won headphones, but there are plenty of good choices for £100).

Also, the review mentions a toggleable "Pro Logic II" option, which implies that the optical input does not accept 5.1 (i.e. 6 discrete audio channels), but rather upmixes stereo. All the Mad Catz website mentions is Pro Logic II and the nebulous "Dolby Digital" (which could mean any number of channels from 1 to 6). Is this a 5.1 headset that can't actually decode 5.1?!

6. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

In that context, isn't it 'sound effects'?

7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I have this The AX Pro headset, and they sound mighty impressive connected to my laptop via the 3.5mm jacks without the decoder box.

Films/Games/Music sound awesome and crystal clear with ample of bass for any bass junkie!

I also find them very comfy to wear, and I think the design of them look cool, especially at night when the Orange logo glows. :)

I do find the 5.1 surround works very well, and BF3 sounds truly awesome.

I would recommend them to any gamer! :)

Yes it is DP. :)

8. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I think that might have more to do with a crappy amplifier than the optical input.

9. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Just to be unreasonably pedantic..
    While this is vaguely true, saying that it's physically impossible isn't really correct; it's just that the solution would be to use decent HRTF processing rather than multiple speakers in the headphones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-related_transfer_function

http://www.csounds.com/journal/issue16/multibin.html

It would be nice to see that kind of thing implemented in hardware processing in a set of so-called 5.1 headphones on the market sometime.

10. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I don't see the point in a detachable microphone if it has a proprietary connector. You're never going to seen in public with these, just make the mic fold up to the headband.

11. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Am I the only person who plays games with a pair of headphones and a non-gaming sound card and finds positional audio is already perfectly fine? It's not like it's CPU intensive to build it right into the game engine.

12. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Exactly: if you're getting noise over something with no electrical connection, you've got some exceptionally badly designed circuitry in there somewhere.

13. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

I have used the predecessor to this unit, and it has outlasted 2 back up headphone sets. Buy Tritton, you will not be sorry.

14. bagman

bagman Minimodder

I had the AX pro headset, biggest piece of crap I have ever bought, and I would advise everyone to avoid this as well. Gaming wise Razer Chararis...? thingy is a lot better, but even that I wouldn't recommend as mine keeps on braking all the time. You don't need all this 5.1 surround rubbish. You need a good pair of stereo headphones which have a large sound stage. Some excellent headphones for this are the Audio Technica AD700. But you should also get a decent sound card. At least the Asus xonar DX, the sound quality is superb and the software really helps this card outperform any other sound card in its price bracket.

I feel I should do my own thread on gaming headphones.

Last edited: 13 Oct 2012
  15. aedwards

aedwards What's a Dremel?

Is this a production unit? If so, how did it get that far without someone spotting that they'd spelled 'output' wrong on the back?

Makes you wonder about the quality control on the rest of it...

16. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

Ugly thing!

17. sandys

sandys Multimodder

USB connection is seperate soundcard for comms not game audio, when set up correctly you can independently set the level for sound and comms via inline remote, it is also the source for noise if you don't have it wired right or in use with the volume set to max, turn it down, no issue.

I use similar on PC/PS3 and 360 and just switch opticals into the decoder with optical switch and usb in my 4way usb switch, jobs a good 'un :D

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I wanted some decent headphones a little while ago, so I went for a pair of Grados. I started recording voiceovers for YouTube videos earlier this year, and I used the microphone in my webcam. I'm looking to upgrade that to a proper microphone now, so that I can use a pop filter, a proper mount, have better quality etc..

Moral of the story? Buy a peripheral that's designed to do one job and do it well. I don't need a poor quality microphone on my headphones, I don't need an extra box or complicated wiring just to use my headphones (especially not when I already have an external audio interface) and I don't need 5.1 sound packed into such a small space when I already have a perfectly good 5.1 speaker system.

Please please stop making "Gamer" peripherals, stop trying to pack more and more features into everything and just design a device that does it's job well.

19. MidnightKhaos

MidnightKhaos What's a Dremel?

k i was wondering if i could get some help....the headset isnt recieving any power from the main box ....no lights on the headset.....can i get some help please i've only had these for 2 days

Tags: Add Tags