1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Mad Dvd Idea Have A Look!!!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by tommy10uk, 6 Jul 2004.

1. tommy10uk

tommy10uk What's a Dremel?

i have a panasonic slot loading dvd drive and i just thought of a space saving idea if it would work.

The idea is, to use the dvd rom as a standard dvd player and hook up to my tv/amp.

i am not sure if there is any chance of this but i thought it may work, using some sort of electronics from the ide to a tv scart or sumit and use a 12v adaptor to power or wateva from molex but i aint really electronically minded so i need ur feedback on this.

before you tell me this may sound stupid or wateva but its just an idea ok!

Regards,
    Tommy

2. SJH

SJH Minimodder

I doubt the signals sent from the drive can be picked up by TVs. You'd need a graphics card to output the right signals, and to connect the two you'd need a motherboard, processor, PSU etc...so unfortunately it probably can't be done.

3. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

you'd need quite a lot of electronics, not something that can realy be done DIY...

Also part of the electronics includes mpeg2 deconding (either in hardware or software) which im quite sure you would need a licence to use (though that would probably be included in the mpeg2 decoding chip you would need)

4. nleahcim

nleahcim What's a Dremel?

That would be horribly, horribly complicated to get to work. Your best bet would be to get a dedicated mpeg decoder card (they were fairly common when dvd-roms first came out) and then to interface that with the dvd-rom with some high speed uP - but the complexities of such a system would be awful. I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole.

5. MaxWiz

MaxWiz What's a Dremel?

You might have more luck squeezing a nano-itx motherboard in to the DVD drive (or maybe a slightly bigger box). Would be much easier than trying to build everything yourself plus you get a full blown pc for surfing/email....

Max

6. tommy10uk

tommy10uk What's a Dremel?

cheers for the help guys i didnt think that detailed as it was just an idea

7. jgrade

jgrade What's a Dremel?

Basically that's what the Apex is. An off the shelf DVD player and a cheap MPEG decoder. That's why it plays almost every format.

I have seen players not much bigger than a standard DVD drive that are about $39.00 at Best Buy, CostCo, Sams, etc. Why go through all that hassle for a solution that is small and cheap and readily available almost everywhere?

Check out this link