1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maestro card.

Discussion in 'General' started by kye, 25 Aug 2007.

1. kye

kye What's a Dremel?

Hey.

Im getting a Maestro card from AIB (Allied Irish Bank). I can finally buy things online. I was looking up the differance between a visa and a maestro card, and read that since maestro cards are debit cards, the security is not as good as a credit card. Does anyone else share that view? Is a debit card not safe to use online? Someone went to the extent of saying everyone should avoid using the cards althogether online for anything.

Kye.

2. The cheapskate

The cheapskate One custom title before Matty

there right to a point. In reality a credit card is a lot safer, HOWEVER if you stick to shops that are recognised you will be fine. aka www.superhotnakedladieboys.com would be one 2 avoid useing a debit card on, while things like dabs, ebuyer, tesco are just as safe as useing a tradional shop.

edt: thank god that link wasnt a real site, that would have been intresting...

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I've never had any trouble using my maestro online. I only have one credit card which has been used only twice - its there only for emergencies since I tend to forget to pay it off.

Use common sense when shopping and your maestro will be fine.

4. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

A debit card is perfectly safe online to use, I've been using mine online for ages now.
    When they say security they mean with a credit card if someone gets your details and takes some money, you don't lose a penny, the bank has to deal with it. With a debit card it's your money, and you'd be lucky to have your bank look into it.

Just don't be a dumbarse and clock on all those phising emails.

5. kye

kye What's a Dremel?

If its down to me and the PC that im using, then there wont be a problem. I was worried there might be an indirect way that someone might get my details.

Thanks for the info. Once i fill the card with hard earned moneys, a black looking 360 shall be flying from Jersey to be with me :)

Kye.

6. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

If the shop isn't using some form of encryption then it's possible someone might hijack your card details.

7. RTT

RTT #parp

It isn't a view, it's fact. Debit cards by nature are not protected to the same degree as Credit cards - Credit is basically pretend money. If something bad happens (fraud, whatever) you can just have the bank dispute the payment and reverse it without much hassle - or just not pay the bill.
    With a debit card it's a whole different ball game - once money has been taken, in most cases, the money is gone and that is that. I would never use my debit cards online.

By the way, not all VISA cards are credit cards.

8. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Exactly. CCs are protected and any loses can be reclaimed. Also, yes you can get Visa Electron cards which are debit.

9. RTT

RTT #parp

Actually VISA Electron can be a credit card too, but it is usually offered in debit flavour with Children's accounts - it isn't really a 'proper' debit card (no overdraft facilities etc)

There are VISA debit and credit as well as Electron (mostly debit, rarely credit).

finance geek ;D

edit: re-word

10. kye

kye What's a Dremel?

I'll get a VISA. I have a weekly income so i should get one, and im careful enough not to use my overdraft. I wasnt keen on getting a Maestro. It will do for the time being.

Just a side question. Should a joint account be debit or credit?

Kye.

11. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

In all seriousness (and as a long-married man), I'd say if you're both working, don't have joint accounts. Sort out the regular bills and living costs fairly between the two of you and have your own personal accounts for personal spending.

12. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I have a Visa Electron (forced by my age) and there is an overdraft, but they don't let you access easily. For the most part it functions as a normal debit card apart from less places accept it.

13. RTT

RTT #parp

Ramble, Natwest issue Solo cards which are accepted everywhere unlike Electron.

14. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I know, I'm jsut too lazy to get one (and I've not had a problem with being accepted where I want to, like OCUK).
    HSBC do one too I think.

15. greywolf

greywolf What's a Dremel?

I'll second that thought! Been doing that for the last 17 years works like a charm.