1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Mafia 2 Demo is out!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Paul2011, 10 Aug 2010.

1. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN I want to change my name but I also don't

Anyone else surprized by the collectable? :D

I'm not impressed with the way this game runs on my computer.... it felt like 30FPS even though i can run GTA IV maxed out and never go below 60...

2. wuyanxu

wuyanxu still wants Homeworld 3

Ph4lanx, what's your setup? any nvidia physx card?

5870 + 8800GT for physX gave me ~30 FPS everything max including AA, 16xAF, high for PhysX.

there's really no need for a gtx280 to use high physX.

i personally don't see any reason to play at over 30 FPS for a single player game, even multiplayer just need to make sure it never drops below 30

3. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

My spec is here mate. I don't run an nVidia card alongside the Radeon. I have a world of 8800GT's in my office with me, but I use them for folding ;)

Not sure I want to start messing with ATI+nVidia for PhysX. To be honest I wasn't blown away with PhysX anyway.

4. Xonar

Xonar New Member

Just out of curiosity, when people were installing the game through steam, did it get stuck on:

for very long?

5. Pieface

Pieface Well-Known Member

Can anyone say if the Demo is actually any good?

6. smc8788

smc8788 ...at least I have chicken

Clearly you need to see the difference between 30 FPS and ~80-100 FPS on a 120Hz monitor :p

Would be interesting to see if overclocking that 920 would improve performance ;)

Hard to tell, since its very short (one mission, or 10 minutes free roam outside of that mission). The POV does need some getting used to, but otherwise everything else seems pretty good. The driving mechanics feel very similar to GTA IV, and the cover/combat mechanics feel really smooth and well implemented. Didn't find any bugs at all really.

7. Phalanx

smc8788, yeah I know mate. I've got a Noctua on it, but I don't trust it, so I'm waiting for some reviews of the Corsair H70, which will probably push me into overclocking :p

8. wuyanxu

:D

everything max, AA, 16xAF and high for PhysX

[​IMG]

and i never plan to, high res 27 or 30 inch H-IPS is my next target. colour is more important than a few ms of gaming, im getting old anyway :p

9. Phalanx

Interesting, 2 GB extra of memory makes quite a dent!

10. wuyanxu

that's with PhysX on high, along with my 8800GT card.

11. Phalanx

Ah fair enough, I missed that you had an 8800GT running alongside it. Makes sense. I just cant be bothered messing around with drivers and the like :)

12. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Is there anyway to view them again?

13. Showerhead

Showerhead New Member

Okay benchmarks for me
    E6850 @3.6Ghz Hd4890
    All benchmarks at 1920x1200

Low: Min 8.5 (33 according to FRAPS) Max 100 Avg 57.8
    Medium No Physx: Min 8.3 (33 Fraps) Max 100 Avg 47.3
    Medium with Phyx Medium: Min 7.1 17 Fraps Max 66.7 Avg 20
    Max no physx: Min 7.2 20 FRAPS Max 100 Avg 25.7
    Max with high Physx: Min 5.5 Max 50 Avg 12.6

Seems to suggest that it has problems detecting the max and min framerate and looking at the game counter it's changing many times a second.
    Also noticed at first when i was changing settings i was getting the same results it seems you have to exit and run the game again for the new settings to be applied.
    I too had no effect from applying AA which, coupled with the on/off nature of the setting makes me believe it's probably an edge blur effect rather than true AA.

To the demo it's self I liked the feel of the setting of the game and the interactivity around the house was a nice touch i assume the food in the fridge will restore health if you are damaged. Also liked the fact that you choose the car from the garage which is good for me as in GTA i would always find a rare car, store it in my garage and then never use it for fear of destroying/losing it.

Cover system worked fairly well but i seem to have an obscene amount of health assumin that is what the green bar around the radar is when hit i barely lost any apart from onve i lost all of it and died from what i assume wa a headshot from the guy with the shotgun on the stairs at my first attempt. Would also like to see more movemnt from enemies as at the moment all the seem to do is stay in cover and lean out to shoot.

Did anybody find any of the other playboy magazines? I got the one at the start but forgot about looking for others at the factory.

Edir: Anyone else have their screen go really dark once they exit the game?

Last edited: 10 Aug 2010
  14. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN I want to change my name but I also don't

Not that i know of.

Did anyone else find all five? I only really liked the one in the destillery, the others seem weird somehow....

15. Phalanx

Well, after playing through the demo, I can safely say it's as good as the original Mafia, so I'll be buying it.

16. JunkersUK

JunkersUK Great chieftan o' the puddin race

I downloaded it and tried to run it, but my monitor blacked out :p think my 8400 isn't good enough for Mafia II!

17. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

The physx effects are a complete turd.
    68fps without physx 30fps with it...
    Disableing sli and just using the second card as dedicated physx still only yeilds 30fps in the benchmark.
    Though it seems to be higher in the actual game.
    It's nice to have em but wtf is that all about?

18. Showerhead

Showerhead New Member

That's odd you get as big a drop as me yet you're using Nvidia.

Noticed that when i use Physx the CPU use never goes above 75% which is odd it runs at 60% normally would have expected it to use the rmaining 25% of my cpu to try to boost frames though i heard Physx isn't to well optimised for cpu use. (obviously)

19. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Thats interesting as i have a spare 8800GT and a 5870. I'm getting getting 60 FPS on a Q6600 4Gb RAM and a 5870 @ 1680x1050 with everything on high. AA will not apply on my card though. I can turn it on, run the benchmark and when i go back to the graphics settings it's off again. Turning PhysX to high makes it tank to about 20-30 FPS but it does look much better.

20. tripwired

tripwired Deploying Surprise in 3... 2...1...

Anyone else found the driving mechanics to be a bit.. well.. weird? Far too arcade-like.

Cars don't really behave as I would expect them to, especially while cornering. They all seem to slide far too easily, which ruins the sense of authenticity for me. I'll still end up buying it I'm sure, if only because I loved the original so much and crave more.