1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Mafia 2 PhysX Performance

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 3 Sep 2010.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan New Member

very interesting read. I would like to know what, lets say a lesser (read cheaper and less power hungry) Nvidia graphics card dedicated for physx will bring to the table.

3. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Agreed, the most obvious option being the 8800GT which can be picked up for under £50.

TBH though with a bit of physx tweaking I have made the Mafia 2 demo perfectly playable on my single GTX460 1GB with physx set to medium. It's probably not as good as a dedicated physx card but I am not buying a 8800GT for one game.

The physx effects arn't exactly earth shattering either.

4. Jezcentral

Jezcentral New Member

I would have preferred you tested a 1GB version of the 460. that's a much better card.

Someone's never satisfied, eh? :)

5. eldiablo

eldiablo New Member

This is what i've done, upgraded my pc and decided instead of selling my 8800gts to keep it as my physx card. Otherwise i would have never bought an extra card just for physx, but if you have one collecting dust you should definitely install it in you're computer.
    I love the scene's where you can destroy most of the stuff and al the debris is collecting up on the floor.

6. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

7. HyBry

HyBry New Member

It would be nice to know if something like 9400 can handle physx without serious loss in fps. That card is what, somehting like GBP25?

And I must say that it is interesting to see how bad the implementation of CPU physx is. For a game that lets everthing beyond 2 cores just to sit back and do nothing there really should not be such a penaly for physx. Then again I believe that it was discovered somewhere earlier this year that physx code is ancient and not well optimised for CPU (although that could be easily achieved).

8. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

The 9400 is incapable of running Physx (at least properly) as the minimum cuda core count is 32. The absolute minimum you could get away with is a 9500GT (or the older 8600GT).

I have noticed that the *sweet spot* seems to be the GT240 (96) or the 8800/9800GT (112) although anything from the GT220 (48) up to the 9800GTS (128) would do fine. A GTX260 or above is complete overkill imo. Whilst it nets a potential higher framerate the mere fact is that what shows on screen vs the processing power required simply doesn't add up.

9. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Only with AA at high res would the extra ram make any discernable difference. The test was carried out with no AA and not at the top end screen res, so 768MB (as seen from the results) can cope pretty well with Mafia II.

10. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

Hmmm,
    where do you turn on/off Physics, is there a seperate driver? In Game?
    How do you "dedicate" a card for physics?

11. blood69

blood69 New Member

I think the problem is program writers are using real physics formulas instead of using tricks. There are good libraries to overcome the problem.
    I know that is not comparable with the new games but HL2 had good physics that still amazes me. Look at PORTAL, it dosen't require all that "ComputaPowa" has i like to call it".
    I like the idea of having dedicated paralel hardware to process the physics like they are, its more easier for program writers, but it costs more to consumers.

12. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

13. r3loaded

r3loaded Well-Known Member

Maybe the GTS 450 would make a good PhysX card? And when you're not using PhysX, you could run folding on it.

14. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

Physx for this game is Very badly coded you tried this game on an GTX480 on med or high game becomes unplayable (unless they fixed it in the retail game)

i but an GTS250 Blacknight that i had lying around yes that did fix the problem but it was using over 50% of the GPU resources and due to poor cooling the GTS is dumping its heat into my GTX480 even at idle i can hear both of the GPUs (think its more the GTS250)

@Xir
    if you fit an second nvidia card the driver norm auto picks the secondary card (Nvidia control panel you see the arrow very small one above the cards is pointing at the second one)

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag New Member

Not true, I've done physx with an 8400GS. I used it as a dedicated physx card, and then I used a HD5750 for my main graphics. The 8400gs is pretty crappy when it comes to physx but it works. It even says on the box of the card that its physx capable. Unfortunately, since mirror's edge is the only good game I have that uses a PPU, I just stuck the 8400GS in one of my Linux setups; it needed something less power consuming than my old 7900GTO, and I don't do gaming on it so the 8400GS works fine.

If physx gets more popular thanks to mafia II, I might use my 8400GS for physx again.

16. Burdman27911

Burdman27911 New Member

Fixed, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Sep 2010
  17. thehippoz

thehippoz New Member

it's just bad coding, especially for what you see.. the in game aa isn't optimized either imo

driver shens? 6 cores performs as well as 2- caps? I just really don't like physx to tell you the truth..

crytek might catch flak for making a gpu heavy game.. but at least it walks the walk for those who have seen it full up and doesn't use the gimmicks.. mafia 2 is a console game end of the day

I find it very odd the game won't even start without the latest nvidia driver also.. why can't we see what we can do with older drivers to confirm

18. Evildead666

Evildead666 New Member

Me too, like a 9800GTX or even, a 8800GTS 640 or something ;)

19. steve30x

steve30x New Member

I wonder did they turn on the OSD to display if the GPU is using Physx. Lately its touch and go if the driver enables Physx. I had serious problems getting Physx running on my GTX280 along with a lot of others. I done everything from reinstalling GPU graphics to reinstalling Physx drivers but nothing worked. In the end I had to do a fresh windows install for Physx to use my GPU.

20. erratum1

erratum1 New Member

I think real-time physics is an interesting idea, but the effect doesn't really blow me away at the moment. I can live without debris collecting on the floor and the drop in performance can be huge.

Tags: Add Tags