1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Mafia 2 Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 19 Dec 2009.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2009/12/19/mafia-2-preview/1

Mafia, one of the most criminally underrated games of all time, is finally getting a sequel and it looks set to offer a level of quality we just can't refuse. Appearances can be deceiving though, so is Mafia 2 really as good as it looks or is it all just one big con? We find out.

:cooldude:

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

what's the controls like? GTA4 mouse control or consolified auto aims?

3. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Excuse me while I take a moment to reminisce about the awesomeness that is Mafia...

I loved that game and even with all the reservations I have about the sequel, I'm sure I'll approach it with rose-tinted glasses, enjoying every moment of it while mentally I'm just replaying the original. Sweet, ignorant, bliss.

Jokes aside, as Joe stated, the recognition (or lack there of) that Mafia received was indeed criminal. The game was ground-breaking but forever damned to be compared to GTAIII (which was released about 6 months before it), a game which IMO it surpassed in so many ways.

So if nobody minds, I'd like to hijack this thread and turn it into Things we love about Mafia - I'll begin:
    • Climbing through the ranks of the mafia underworld
    • The engaging story
    • Your 'crew' shooting out tires from the passenger seats (a first in an open world game???)
    • The 'thunderstorm' mission when you drive into the countryside into a nice suprise
    • The driving speed limit that suited the game perfectly
    • The fantastic ending

Note: avoid the console version at all costs, it's vastly inferior.

4. OWNED66

OWNED66 What's a Dremel?

Who makes made men mad?
    Mad men.

5. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Merely morons might make made men mad. Markedly, many made men may mercilessly murder meddling miscreants.

*ahem*

I guess i should give Mafia a try then. I'm one of the people who completely missed it. I saw a friend play it on XboX once, and wasn't too impressed, probably it's better if i just take my time for it and play it on PC

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Oh god! You make me cry inside. Buy it now. Now Now Now Now Now.

7. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

one of my all time favourites, possibly my most replayed game too. Im almost wetting my pants in anticipation for the the sequel. Im pretty sure it was the first to have tyre shooty goodness.

8. fadi299

fadi299 What's a Dremel?

the original Mafia was one of the very best games i've played in my entire life. the level of variety in the missions was just amazing!, the game lets you do all kinds of missions and tasks you'd amagine a true mafioso from the 30s would do, it had everything from bank robberies, car chases both in city and countryside, assasiantion and sniping missions, a rainy whiskey smuggling mission in a farm outside of town, secret meeting in a parking lot gone wrong, interrogation missions, stealth and driving missions, just to name a few....

it was the most complete and authentic gangsters game ever made!, the shooting was much better than GTA3 could ever be, it was satisfying and deep, the car physics were ahead of it time!, cars handled differently and behaved realisticly with real-time damage models and tyres and glass that could be shot, the game was truly ahead of its time!. it was also one of the most atmospheric games ever, the setting were perfect and very well done!, the game really took me back to the 30s for the 20 hours i spent playing it.

feel sorry for all those who never played it, especially the pc version........

9. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

The console versions of the original Mafia were severely flawed at best.

Get the PC version and enjoy the sweetness, it is an AWESOME game.

Can't wait for Mafia 2. :)

10. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

Wheres the footage?
    Pics mean nothing to me and im sure many others are thinking the same: Where the F***s the footage? :p

11. Xtrafresh

dont cry patr ... Richard! instead, feel the satisfaction that you as a journalist turned my attention to something i should know about, i.e: job well done sir! :thumb:

12. Xtrafresh

damn, wrong thread, ignore please >.<

Last edited: 19 Dec 2009
  13. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

I chuffing loved Mafia, i actually played it most of the way thru again recently when it was announced that mafia 2 was delayed til 2010,
    i was impressed with how good it looked this many years later! it doesn't disgrace itself at all.
    I would class Mafia as one of my favourite games of all time just because the story grabbed me so much, i actually can't think of another game that dealt with so many things like sex, drugs and violence in such a mature way. Mafia 2 better live up to the name... the delay was heartening, they know they have to make it right.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Right, that's it, I'm digging it out and playing it again now >_<

15. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

good man! you're back in the gaaaaame! *high five*

16. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Need to play the original, wish they'd release it on steam or something

17. lankyn

lankyn What's a Dremel?

So will they have a racing level this time?? God, that was brutal!

18. zimbloggy

zimbloggy Genius Extraordinaire

I prefer a game that is made really well and isn't exactly original to a game that is experimental and new but isn't great. Games like Myst IV, Splinter Cell 3, HL2, and Call of Duty 4 are all games that I wouldn't exactly call "revolutionary" or "innovative" but they are all extremely well made and polished games. Compare those to a game like Assassin's Creed I, where it was "innovative", but not a great game.

These well made games are good because the developers have learned from past experiences and improve upon the originals to make a very polished game, whereas the innovators spend their time and money innovating and not polishing.

19. Natima

Natima What's a Dremel?

Zimbloggy.... what are you talking about? Would you care to weave Mafia into that paragraph somewhere so we understand what your point is?

Anyway.... I'm certainly looking forward to Mafia II just as much as I looked forward to Half Life 2 back in the day.
    Mafia is the best game I have ever playing, in tied first place position with Half Life 1&2.

20. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

But for every well made "safe bet" games, there are 5 shite ones. Gaming wouldn't be where it is today if people didn't take risks and innovate.

Assassins Creed was innovative and it was a good game, it wasn't amazingly brilliant, but it was far from bad, there's plenty worse out there. There needs to be games like assassins creed, becuase without those games that open up new play styles, we'd be nowhere. You might notice that all those titles you said were sequels, that's because they had to start from somewhere.

Tags: Add Tags