1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Mafia II PC System Requirements

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Lucy2005, 9 Jul 2010.

1. Lucy2005

Lucy2005 What's a Dremel?

This is the one game im looking forward to this year, loved the first. Also whats this APEX stuff?? i havnt read much about the game because i dont want to read any spoilers that might ruin the game.

2. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

This is what I found on YouTube. I can't wait for this game :D

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

A GTX 285 or better for PhysX? SERIOUSLY?

What. the. ef?

Meh I'll just used PhysX on my crippled CPU, thank you, Nvidia.

Still wanna play the game though.

4. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

Can't wait for this game. Looks really good!

5. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

So this APEX stuff is only available on Nvidia hardware? Can you run an ATI GPU as your main GPU and use a Nvidia GPU for physics?

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nope. Nvidia helpfully blocks that in its drivers.

Yaaaay.

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

looks like i bought 8800GT for nothing :( need a 285 for high PhysX

8. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Nvidia beta drives allow this in beta 257.15. Nvidia have said they will continue to not support hybrid setups in their whql drivers but from what I can gather didn't confirm or deny if further betas would block it. Originally they said it was a mistake and took down the beta drivers but then they put them back up with a spiel about listening to the outcry of the masses. Nvidia maintain that officially supporting hybrid systems would cost more than their entire physx operation. I for one will be more than delighted to have unofficial beta drivers as a happy medium

Read update #2 to this article quote from Tom Petersen
    http://www.ngohq.com/news/17916-nvidia-driver-bug-removes-hybrid-physx-blockage-updated.html

More interestingly there has bin a lot of debate about what type of card is a good physx card lately in the forum with lots of discussion about what's required. Mafia ii is supposedly using new physx capabilities that will push physx cards harder so it's interesting to read that a gtx285 is optimal. Should be in for some real eye candy! Pretty sure recommended physx card isn't a gtx280 as from my experience these cards run almost as hot as a gtx480 and the two combined would turn ur pc into candle wax!

Last edited: 9 Jul 2010
  9. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

From the looks of those specifications, this could be the next Crysis, :D

10. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

meh, physx is bull.

The hardware demands for very little return is a joke.

"Cost of running physx on high......Your soul" !

So the choice is play it on console, or win the lottery and play it on pc.

Hmmmm, decisions, decisions!

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nikols - they pulled the beta drivers that allowed it and said it was a mistake. So you *can* get beta's around that allow it, but not from Nvidia direct.

Why can't Nvidia just say "we don't test for this, run it if you want to but don't come crying to us when it ****s up"?

12. tautas

tautas What's a Dremel?

good game great feedback? :clap:

13. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Just got home and applied the 258.69 beta drivers to my system and have to conceed that you are correct, Nvidia have retreated to their old ways (f@@kers!:wallbash::sigh:). Physx can be enabled on 258.69 with ati but not without reverting to a third part physx driver modifier tool which in fairness is less complicated than getting the 257.15 drivers up and running

14. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

Jeeze I can live without the moving jacket ffs. Should save me a few hundred.

15. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Hopefully it's more than just moving jackets though :thumb:

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You CAN get the originals though - you just have to look around for it. Try an ATI forum ;)

robots - by that argument why not live without high def textures, high res gaming and anti-aliasing and just buy a GTS 240? ;) Save you a few hundred too :lol:

17. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Cheers bindi, I have the 257.15 drivers but extending my desktop with a dummy monitor causes powerdvd 10 to turn into a lemon. Using GenL's workaround which has been greatly simplified in the new version for 257 drivers and above does not require a dummy display and therefore doesn't bugger up powerdvd... Yes I know I'm old school watching movies on discs! My scores on fluidmark are the same whether using 257.15 or an altered 258.69 driver.

Robots - physx in this game is used for a he'll of a lot of the debris and destruction in gunfights. It will definitely make it more immersive. It has been designed as the most physx intensive game to date hence the dedicated card requirements. Second hand gtx280's are regularly selling for about £80-£90 on eBay. Not saying it's worth it to play one game tho!

Last edited: 10 Jul 2010
  18. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

We'll see. I saw a movie of a bunch of people shooting up a building with tommyguns, and the building was shattering in to thousands of pieces and bits falling off and stuff. Looked very nice.

Well you gotta draw the line somewhere, otherwise you'll spend thousands on your PC. I draw it at my HD 5870. Whatever it can do, it can do, whatever it can't, I'll have to go without. And I'll be disappointed if I have to go without. Although I'm hoping my CPU can take the slack left from my lack of dedicated physics card. Again, if that doesn't work out, I'll be pretty disappointed.

Having said that, if the physics is mind blowingly brilliant then it may be time that I rethought physics.. but I doubt it. We'll see.

Last edited: 12 Jul 2010
  19. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

It's a shame that a person's choice of graphics card manufacturer will isolate them from the more advanced features.

I certainly won't be buying an nVidia card just for Physx!

20. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

A game that recommends a GTX 480 and an i7 920...scary times!

A Crysis moment in the making...