1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Mafia II PC System Requirements

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Lucy2005, 9 Jul 2010.

1. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

Exactly.

And annoyingly, there is nobody I can really blame. nVidia are doing a good job making graphics cards with built in physics. Pity they are hot, noisy, and expensive. AMD are doing a good job making great graphics cards that are decent value, quiet, and cool. Pity they have no physics ability. And the developer is doing a good job making a great game which uses modern bells and whistles and eye candies. Pity it's expensive to run it in all it's glory.

So they are all doing a good job, but any way I turn results in a kick in the nuts. My only hope is that my CPU can take care of the physics, or I can just turn it off and the game will still be really nice looking, but just miss out on some minor eye candy. That won't be too bad.

Yeah scary. I won't mind though if that's super ultra cranked settings, and if in reality you can lower the physics and the game is still gorgeous and runs on more realistic hardware. Fingers crossed.

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Let's see if they make it worth playing though. Stating a high spec could mean the game is amazing. It could also mean sloppy coding.

3. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

What? Let me say that again, WHAT?

nVidia and ATi are competitors. nVidia have the physx technology, so they have every right to make it a nVidia-only feature. If you want Physx, you buy nVidia because they are selling the better technology for your situation.

Your argument is the same as saying "It's a shame that because I bought a Ford, I don't get the cool laser windscreen HUD that some BMWs have because BMW want it to keep it on their cars only. I won't be buying a BMW because of it."

You said it yourself, you had the choice to buy ATi. So stop moaning about the shortcomings of the choice YOU made.

How people don't understand that nVidia want to keep one of the few upperhands over ATi they have to themselves....totally beyond comprehension to me.

4. ian8415

ian8415 What's a Dremel?

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRR!!!

This is so annoying. An i7 920 and 480 gtx, then a 280 GTX or better just for physics. Its so funny the references to crysis, because that is what situations like these do to the high end Pc building/gaming industry.

Anyone who has played and loved the first game will know that this game just has to fulfil the great story based game it should be, and not get caught up in me verses you tech wars of various companies.

the way its meant to be played?

with enjoyment again, again and again

5. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

This is something else Apex brings to the table:

Along with particle/fluid and vegetation physics.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No, it's like saying "If I bought a BMW I get to drive it on the few special BMW roads built, rather than roads made for everyone." The PC platform and PC gaming has always been about interoperability - we'd all be pissed off if AMD only let you use ATI graphics on their systems, or if Intel actually brought out Larrabee then told CrossFire and SLI to FO, for example.

7. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

No it's not. His argument is that when spending the same amount of money on an ATI, it's a shame you'll miss out on this eye candy.

He isn't moaning, get off your high horse.

8. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

Let me guess, you've got an nvidia card right? :hehe:

As Bindi and robots have said, I was merely saying that it's wrong for the game developers to exclude higher end features to people that have bought ATI hardware.

I wasn't complaining about anything if you actually read my post properly. ;)

9. Matarsak

Matarsak What's a Dremel?

And I, like many other ATI card owners, actually would buy a lower-end nVidia card for PhysX--if they didn't purposefully lock that feature, requiring extensive workarounds.

10. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

Yeah I'd like to do this but i'd worry that I would buy a nVidia card and then not be able to get it working. I guess I need to do some research first....... TO THE INTERNETS!

11. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Bull$hit!

It's like BMW creating a car that runs a certain type of BMW only performance fuel and then offers petrol stations incentives to stock their type of performance fuel IN PLACE of other types. Maybe no problem there but... Then you go out and buy a BMW car to take advantage of the performance fuel, you pull up to the fuel pump but the fuel flap on your BMW won't open cos you also own an Audi.

Elton and pimonserry like this.
  12. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

Yeah me too. I even have my old 8800GTX I could use, but I don't think I have enough PCI-E slots on my motherboard.

I also was hoping to sell my 8800GTX.

13. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Best analogy ever!

14. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

I would not buy a card just for a game. Play at the recommended levels and enjoy. It is a surprise that a few new games are quoting quad-core processing for recommended settings. Especially in a recession - not everyone can upgrade.

I have almost finished my new quad-core new build but will stick to consoles for my gaming (one price - every game fits). But if you've got the money..

15. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

QFT.

16. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Absolutely.

17. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

I paid for both high end ati and high end nvidia hardware. I made the choice to have both. Nvidia has subsequently taken away some of the technology that I have paid for because of other components in my rig. The excuse that there could be compatability issues does not fly as compatability issues are part and parcel of building ur own rigs. Realtek audio codecs associated with realtek on board sound frequently cause compatability issues but realtek don't disable your speakers because you decide to use other hardware that might cause an issue. If nvidia was bought by samsung monitors and then they decided to encourage people to buy sansung monitors by disabling graphics features if another brand of monitor is detected the community would be up in arms. It's not about a hardware choice as the hardware is capable.