1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Magic anyone?

Discussion in 'General' started by crazyg1zm0, 5 Oct 2008.

1. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

Exeter. Home is not far from Chester.

2. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

i am sure there would be somewhere in chester that did magic events etc.

and on another note spent about 3 hours yesterday organising all my commons and uncommons into a new box in set, alphabetical and colour order just to make it that little bit easier to find them.

3. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

been testing my artifact deck tonight and fine tuning it as i have a standard torunament on firday.

i was just wondering what all of you regard as the perfect opening hand in your opinion? with repesct to land, monsters, spells?

4. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

The perfect opening hand is different for every deck. If you deck has a potential for turn 4 or less victory with certain hands, drawing that hand is perfect. I think my earliest possible win is turn two using my Time Spiral(the card, not the set)/Brain Freeze deck. But anyway, in a normal game I like having 3 lands and 4 other cards. The other cards are usually 2-3 spells and 1-2 creatures unless playing one of my 3 heavily creature based decks(of 10 decks or so) in which case I would prefer 3 creatures and 1 spell.

5. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Trying to build this deck at the moment. need 3 more thoughtseize but they cost £15 each

Creatures: 18
    4 x Demigod of Revenge
    4 x Dusk Urchins
    3 x Viscera Dragger
    3 x Ashling, The Extinguisher
    4 x Ashenmoor Gouger
    Spells: 19
    4 x Thoughtseize
    4 x Nameless Inversion
    3 x Unmake
    3 x Profane Command
    3 x Raven's Crime
    2 x Loxodon Warhammer
    Lands: 23
    21 x Swamp
    2 x Leechridden Swamp

6. Gravemind123

Oh yeah, that's an expensive deck with the Demigods also. This is standard legal I assume, as otherwise I would expect to see Buried Alive, Reanimate and the like. Looks like a good deck for standard, although I personally just play by the Vintage banned and restricted list.

7. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

It varies massively depending on how the deck is supposed to work, general deck style and the mana curve in the deck. I could quite easily build a deck where not having any lands wouldn't be a catastrophe (granted involving a fair few Power 9 cards ;) )

8. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

yea it standard leagal. the demigods are really common (well for me) i have 6 of them because when shadowmoor was released in april the demigod was the promo card and i have 1 of the non promo which is quite nice. hopefully if someone i know has teh 3 more thoughtseize i need i should be running this deck in a standard tournament tomorrow

9. Gravemind123

I have decided to bump this thread for asking for deck help. I am planning on going the Grand Prix Chicago in March next year and I'm trying to spec out a Legacy deck. I was thinking of going some variant of ProsBloom(Prosperity + Cadaverous Bloom combos) since it is pretty cheap. Here is what I was looking at so far:

4x Cadaverous Bloom
    4x Squandered Resources
    4x Natural Balance
    2x Storm Seeker
    2x Demonfire
    3x Prosperity
    4x City of Solitude
    2x Arcane Denial
    4x Impulse
    2x Meditate
    2x Infernal Contract
    2x Dream Cache

5x Island
    6x Swamp
    5x Forest
    2x Mountain
    4x Gemstone Mine
    1x City of Brass

If anyone has any advice on the deck, it would be much appreciated!

10. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

Is this card already kicking around in Legacy tournaments? I am not familiar with any of the current sets, but a quick look through those cards in Gatherer and I would say the following things:

4 Colour decks are too risky for something like Legacy. The potential to end up with a screwed mana base is far too high when you will have decks with turn 3-4 kills in them. One of the reasons that the Goblin and Control decks are so effective is that they are generally mono, so the risk of the mana going awol is vastly reduced. The only possible time I would run more than 2 colours is either in a novelty deck or using the Fetch lands and the original series Split Lands, but that isn't legal in Legacy and costs a bloody fortune.

There doesn't seem to be much mana acceleration, and your main mana generating card costs 5 mana to cast. I am sure that once the mechanic is in play that it will work rather well, I'm just not convinced you'll be alive long enough to do that.

There is of course the potential that I have missed something here, so don't take the above as Gospel!

11. Gravemind123

I'm not really sure what to build, as most legacy decks are too expensive for me to actually be able to afford. This deck isn't really a legacy decktype, but my new take on an old decktype that originated when Mirage block was still standard. I was also considering a nearly mono-red version of Protean Hulk that uses red mana acceleration and Through the Breach to get some Disciples of the Vault and X cost X/X artifact creatures into play for the win. It can first turn win and can probably go off by turn 4 just about every game.

12. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

I have thought about legacy decks like you but i have been put off by the price also

the 1 deck i have thought about is a charbelcher deck which uses some insane mana ramp and tutors to make a turn 1 win easily possible. the deck only runs one land as that is all it really needs. and just combos off perfectly if you know how to play it.

A mate of mine has one but due to me not playing when the cards were standarnd legal i dont really know how to play it as am fairly new to the game. but i think a quick google will bring up this deck easily. I think it should be fairly light on the wallet.

but remember legacy decks are usually expensive for a reason, and that is they use insanely powerfull cards to combo off in the first couple of turns before any control deck has the mana to effectively prevent you from doing it.

13. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

The biggest question is what style of deck do you like to play. If the deck doesn't tie in with that (e.g. someone who loves red -green trying to play permission) you aren't going to play to your full potential.

I often found that Goblins produced a pretty successful legacy deck without being obscenely expensive. Goblin Piledrivers were the most expensive thing required if memory serves.

I had started writing out what I could remember from my goblin deck when I found this:

http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Legacy_Goblin_deck

Which will do the job very nicely indeed.

14. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

i do like a good old goblin deck my first ever tourney with a borrowed kithkin deck my first round was against goblins (came 3rd that tourney)

i have loved the decks and they are very very cheap and easy to play and pick-up quickly

15. Gravemind123

Well, my play style really is all over, I can play aggro, control or combo. Goblins would work, but that deck's lands alone cost over $100, Lackeys are $12 a piece, Piledrivers are $12 each, Mogg Fanatic, Siege-Gang and AEther Vial are all around the $5 mark each. I also don't currently have any of the cards for the deck. This puts it way out of what I can afford.

I was considering going for a straight burn deck as I already own the Fireblasts, Lightning Bolts and a few other important cards for it. It would cost me much less then Goblins and seems to offer a pretty fast kill. The deck doesn't require any expensive non-basic lands and given the prevalence of them in the format, the card Back to Basics should be a pretty effective. The most expensive 4-of card in the deck is Chain Lightning at $8 a piece. Behind that in cost is Fork at $10, and I would probably only run 2.

16. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

In the linked deck, you can quite happily swap the fetch lands for mountains, they are right at the bleeding edge of deck efficiency (ie stripping out excess mana), and you could still play very comfortably with say just the Ports there to provide some upset. That should save you a fair amount on the land front. I must confess I hadn't realised just how expensive the Lackeys are, but given their ability, it really doesn't surprise me. When I got my Piledrivers (when they were still in T2) I think they were £12 each ($24 at the exchange rate then) and they were still a good value card in my book. If you can't stretch to them, you probably cannot play a goblin deck.

If you are going for straight burn, Nevinyral's Disk (check spelling) is a bit of a beauty, and can work nicely with Standing Stones (one of the World's decks ran that combo a few years back).

Edit: eBay is your friend as far as Lackeys (half price you mentioned) and sometimes even more of a reduction for the Piledrivers.

Last edited: 17 Dec 2008
  17. Gravemind123

Even the Ports are a good $12 a piece and Wasteland is about $10. Even if I strip back to just mountains and ports it's pretty pricey.

I was thinking of using Disk to take care of creature threats, but was also considering Flamebreak as an answer to Goblins, since it damages the opponent in the process and can be dropped turn 3 rather then not being usable until turn 5. I may run both or put Disk in the sideboard to take out decks that get larger creatures then Goblins, perhaps as an answer to Threshold/'Goyf decks.

Alternatively I could make a Brain Freeze, I own everything I need besides Force of Will, Cunning Wish and Reset, which is really an issue, but I could make a more budget version, but it could only win on my turn, which makes it weak compared to actual Solidarity. I could afford to buy the Wishes and the Resets, but Force of Will is just going to be too expensive for a playset of them, though I may be able to get 1 or 2.

Thanks for all of the advice, I think I'll just keep pondering what I'm going to do until the tourney draws nearer and I have a finalized decklist.

18. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

That was a little while ago... I played during Onslaught mostly.
    My favorite deck ever is my infinite elves/infinite life deck. I also liked Pemmin's Aura (I am superman) a lot. A bit later I made a sliver deck which can be fun to play with. I don't like going to tourneys, because I feel like many of the players are jerks - liked playing with my friends much better.

19. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

That was a mental combo with Wirewood Channeler. I did build a deck around it, but only social so it was a bit erratic (playing too many counter spells in a social environment tends to annoy people).

20. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

you should see the twinsanity deck out now.

it employs the best counterspell about in standard at the moment cryptic command which keeps your opponent on lock and coupled with twin cast which allows its effect to be doubled and sanity grind which allows the caster to mill the opponent for x where x is the number of blue mana symbols in the casting cost. the record is 26 in 1 combo and he did the combo twice in very short amount of time.

its hilarious to watch this deck work as the opponent just watches his library becoming his graveyard in 1 big go though i managed to win by getting a demigod of revenge out onto the field with the other 3 in my graveyard so i swung for 20 flying in 1 turn :D