1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Magic: The Gathering Duels of the Planeswalkers review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 15 Jun 2010.

1. Mentai

Mentai New Member

Yeah but don't you have to pay just as much money as you would for real cards in that system? There's no way I'm buying virtual booster packs, ever.

2. PegasusM

PegasusM Stand back, I'm doing science

I think they're cheaper actually and if you get a complete set you can have the physical cards from that set sent to you for $4.99.

Also you get loads of cards (over 300) when you get a starter account (I think its about $9.99 which is cheaper than most games) and I haven't needed to buy any other cards. You can get free common cards from bots in the marketplace too.

I agree on the virtual booster pack point, and so far have avoided them myself.

3. TCoZ

TCoZ Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo...

Lack of deck customisation makes this game interesting but not worth buying imo.

4. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

It's quite unfortunate that they didn't allow for deck customization, or include a complete Library of all the cards Wizards of the Coast has released for the card game. the lack of those two features means this game falls well behind a variety of fan-made programs, at least for advanced players like myself. anyone who has been playing this game for a while will tell you, the preemptive strategy of deck building is a key part of why the game is so fun.

the game seems like a great introduction for beginners, but it simply wont work for long-time players who are looking for a reproduction of the card game.

5. Vajz

Vajz New Member

To reiterate the point made before ... deck customization is very much the core of what makes mtg the great game it is. In Duels, you merely have a sideboard of up to 20 cards which can be unlocked by winning a game. One win unlocks one card. The customization is limited to selecting which of those 20 cards you want to put into the deck you've won with. 8 Decks sums up to about 160 unlockable cards. Which require 20 wins per deck.
    It's quite tedious to get 100% since you don't necessarily want to play that one deck you don't like, that often.
    And you can't trade cards between decks even if they share the same color. Hell, you can't even edit cards out of a deck if they aren't hard-won sideboard-cards.
    I think it's quite sad to see that the 1997 released MtG PC game has more to offer than the one released in 2010. Maybe Wizards of the Coast put some limiters on the developers so they can't encroach on the Magic Online playerbase.

6. Kilmoor

Kilmoor lurker

When I saw this game come up on Steam, I must admit I got a little excited. I've always enjoyed the gameplay and strategy of MTG.

Lack of a deck construction facility may not be all bad- MTGO decks are as expensive to build as physical decks, and MTG is not exempt from the "he who has the most money wins" axiom. Not by a stretch. The ability to just pick up a prefab deck and go at it with other players has its appeal. Sure, it simplifies the game by cutting out the planning elements, but it also levels the playing field to an extent because the other guy is playing with a prefab deck, too.

I already have $300 MTG decks in plastic sleeves. I'll be damned if I am going to rebuild them as virtual decks with DRM as is the way with MTGO. This dumbed-down version of the game may be just what I need to get back into Magic.

7. robots

robots New Member

I doubt this game is as attractive as it seems.

The whole point of Magic The Gathering, is that you gather cards, and then you assemble them in to your own decks. That is mainly what makes the game special. Without that, it's more like a kind of Solitaire experience. With pre-made decks, the outcome of a game is mostly dictated by luck of the draw. If your opponent has a great draw, and you have a terrible one even after mulligans, then it doesn't matter how good a player you are - you are screwed. So it's largely a game of luck, with some element of being a good player and playing the right things at the right time. But where the real skill comes in, is choosing from tens of thousands of cards to make a deck where there are almost unlimited concepts for the deck. The deck concepts are seemingly endless, and that's what makes MTG an amazing game. So getting good at identifying these concepts, and then putting them together successfully as a deck, is largely what MTG is all about.

This game has none of that at all..

So what you are left with is a Solitaire kind of game, where you have pre-made decks, and it's all about luck of the draw and playing what you are dealt as best you can. There is still plenty of fun in this though. Some may even argue that it can make for better matches. When all the decks are pre-made, you are less likely to get the complete mismatches that MTG often has, when one person is trying to make a zany fun deck, and the other person is trying to e-peen himself to victory in 3 turns with the cheapest, dirtiest trick he could steal from the internet. It's this which makes this game appealing to me.

The thing is though, MTG is notoriously bad value, so I'm just wary that this game will be the same.

People don't often talk about it as being bad value because they become hooked fans, so somehow manage to justify it to themselves that spending £300 every few months on a bunch of cards is ok. So my one hesitation with this game, is that I can imagine it gets very boring very quickly, with such a restricted selection, and the way to 'unlock the fun', is to start buying more decks. I bet these will be at least a few quid each, so just like MTGO, the initial seemingly good value £6.99, can very easily become many multiple times more expensive when you start buying more and more in the endless quest to keep the game fun and fresh for yourself. The interesting thing to me, is how much that will cost in the long term. With single cards cost $50 or more, anyone knows that if you start buying deck after deck in MTG or MTGO, you can easily end up spending hundreds of pounds, if not thousands. If you can do that in this game but it costs much less, then it could end up being a good value alternative.

" but if you’re looking for a computer-based version of Magic: The Gathering then this is definitely the best we’ve seen."

Well Magic The Gathering Online is undoubtedly the best. I also hear that the old Microprose game was great and I bet that is better than this. But this is a nice modern alternative.

Last edited: 16 Jun 2010
Tags: Add Tags