1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Mags or internet?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mik3yB @ CCL, 1 Jul 2010.

1. Mik3yB @ CCL

Mik3yB @ CCL Everything is not going to be OK

Do people still read and subscribe to magazines or do you browse the 'net for all your leisure and info?

I've just subscribed to Mountain Biking UK as I couldn't really find an all in one website for all my mountainbiking needs although the Bike Radar site is alright I suppose.

I cancelled FHM as it was never getting read every month. Very dull these days.

Also, is Edge still good?
    I stopped reading it in 2005 although the articles used to be good the news section always seemed out of date, sites like Eurogamer or Giantbomb are much more up to the minute.

What do you guys read?

gymman39 likes this.
  2. gymman39

gymman39 What's a Dremel?

i use the net for everything ..i used to spend a fortune on mags...

3. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I subscribe to PC Gamer, I'm considering a Custom PC subscription but some of the things in it are repeated on here..

I do prefer magazines for reading articles in, but for news I much prefer the 'net, it's always up to date.

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I've never subscribed to any mags. Quite likely never will, either. Especially tech mags are useless as you can read about the same hardware/releases for free form the 'net some times weeks earlier.

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

used to buy PCZ but over the years its gotten thinner, expensive and more ad infested so i kinda stopped. still have a small collection in the mag rag next to the bog :)

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Some ;)

You'll miss 90% of CPCs labs tests and some UK specific stuff that gets put in the mag only.

Even I still get the mag to read and I work here! :p

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

And 90% of game coverage is re-written too, so at least you get different jokes and explanations.

8. gymman39

bit tech staff very quick to post on this thread ha ha

9. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

I subscribe to Empire only. It's a great mag and when I tried to cancel it because I don't NEED any more outgoings, they did me a deal. I've subscribed for at least 5yrs. There is nowhere online as good as them.

I used to subscribe to CPC. I bought issue 1 and had a sub within the first 6 issues if I recall. I loved it.

However, I'm a veteran of the Dennis forum cock up and I wrote to Alex Watson to tell him what I though. He was very courteous and explained the position of the staff. I have sinced cancelled my subscription and haven't bought a single issue. But that is a problem with Dennis and the way they choose to conduct themselves.

Eventually, I got used to coming in here (as well as migrating to X404) and I find the staff to be very knowledgeable and helpful, the reviews (various controversy nowithstanding!) great on the whole and the community a good one. I don't NEED the mag, but I enjoy visiting here and I hope that continues....

10. Mik3yB @ CCL

Mik3yB @ CCL Everything is not going to be OK

Sorry, that wasn't my intention. I forgot there was a mag associated with the site, I always think of these forums being seperate :)

Good to hear that the mag offers more unique content than the site (being that the site is free to read!).

11. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Internet. Pages can't stick together that way :worried:

12. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

i used to buy pc format like ages ago, got few issues of custop pc too. atm the only mag i buy regularly is Wired.

13. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I would subscribe to Custom pc except in Ireland it would cost a ridiculous 61 pounds instead of 31 pounds and thats before you take the exchange rate into account, so its not great value in Ireland so i just buy it in the shops

14. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Internet.

Never subscribed but used to get PC Gamer periodically, until I realised what I was buying was an advertising booklet with some reviews cunningly hidden inside.

Also used to pick up Focus (science/tech) before it was taken over by the BBC and more recently Digital Photo.

15. gymman39

YES MURRAYNT ..!! prices in ireland are a sick joke:wallbash:

16. murraynt

murraynt Modder

relying on you CardJoe now to slip a brown envelope in there in custom pc to get us better prices:D

17. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I buy CPC every month, I could get a subscription, but I like standing in WHSmith's reading it :) Then buying it.

I occasionally buy PCFormat and PCGamer, gives me pretty much what I need right there :)

18. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

I subscribe to custom pc magazine.

19. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

It's purely because we're constantly using the sites.

And have big mouths.

:duh:

20. murraynt

murraynt Modder

You unfaithful man, wait till custom pc finds out :waah:
    Never like PCFormat, seems stupid but Custom Pc felt better as in more professional covers and printing.
    Although they have some very good articles, i could just as easy be saying this about Custom pc if i started reading them first