1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete ⭐ Mahogany Desk by Husky Bongs [Build of the Year 2018, FINISHED]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Huskybongs, 21 Feb 2017.

1. Huskybongs

Huskybongs Minimodder

Got the hinges finally glued and glass works :) I gotta say though this was by far the hardest part of the build for us. Like really time consuming and really challenging. Took 3 people to mount this thing and figuring out how to do these hinges was a pain but I'm so happy it's done :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG] ¨

This is fully enough so you can reach the components if need be

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Parts getting installed. The pumps the Psu and the 360 rad are now bolted down. With the first official hardline pipe as well :)

[​IMG]

Bad picture but here's how I'm getting through the wood, There's no joint at all actually :)

[​IMG]

The pumps.

[​IMG]

Cheapskate and arduum like this.
  2. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

This has such a lovely retro cool 50s 60d vibe to it! Just read all the way through and the attention to detail is top notch! Much longer until complete?

3. Huskybongs

Huskybongs Minimodder

no :)

4. Huskybongs

Huskybongs Minimodder

Not a lot left no, just gotta get the waterjet to cut out my pipe strengthener bits and get those powdercoated and final assembly can commence. Here's a small sneakpeak :)

[​IMG]

5. Huskybongs

Huskybongs Minimodder

So my cables are done. My computer boots with my corsair hx1000i but not with my ax1500i. Using the same bloody cables. I checked everything the pin out is exactly the same. Anyone know the limit on atx power cable lenght? I'm a bit worried about voltage drop. I had my original 24 pin 190cm long (ish) and now its 128 cm. Assuming it will boot now is it safe to use it or is it a nogo to use such a long power cable? Anyone know? (I get led debug code 67 which is "late stage cpu initilazation").

To add to the wierdness the ax1500i boots just fine with stock cables. also with my own cables if I only use the stock 24 pin and the rest of the cables my own. The hx1000i however boots with everything custom made including the 24 pin. No wierd errors etc.

current shortened cable. Everything bought from mdpc.

[​IMG]

6. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

My years of experience with Corsair PSU's have taught me one thing, they aren't what they used to be (I personally avoid them like an STI) and such weird behaviour isn't uncommon :confused: o_O :rolleyes:

Personally I would have gone with Seasonic or Superflower at that level of wattage.

Changing the subject...

The desk looks absolutely stunning!!! :cool:

7. Huskybongs

Huskybongs Minimodder

Finally got cables done. Done a few special ones like feeding the pumps and the fans on the same cable with 5 volts going to the fans and 12 to the pumps, Installing all of these bad boys next week

[​IMG]

There's plenty of future expansionroom. Got myself another row of connectors ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pipes are done as well but they will go out and in one more time so you'll get more pictures after

[​IMG]

Actually sleeved the cables outside the pc as well :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: 12 May 2018
    cobalt6700, Cheapskate and arduum like this.
  8. Huskybongs

Huskybongs Minimodder

Time for final assembly. Bit time consuming but fun :D

So everything went out and the wood got polished a final time with some carvarnish and canvas. Then the cable combs were predrilled and installed. Then taken out again :D

[​IMG]

Then panels were put in and the cables thrown there.

[​IMG]

Bad picture but that small box keeps all the 230 volt. So we get cables for the screen, DAC and psu while using minimal space

[​IMG]

After a few hours of getting frustrated the combs were installed. This is a 2 man job:D one guy holding the comb while the other inserts 72 cables in order

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still got to watercut a comb or 2 for the 24pin atx and satapower so this is a bit of a mess still. Good enough to get running though.

[​IMG]

Apologies for those expecting the newest coolest gpus etc. This is my old trusted 3930k-i7 and 2 gtx 980s. I trust this rig and there wasn't money to buy brand new stuff

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Work continues but not that much longer left :D

9. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

100% no apology required!

Also, this thing is properly a work of art. It’s a pleasure to witness another one of the greats in the making :hip:

10. zak

zak Build Clean people, build clean

This is the best desk build I have ever seen. Better than even Lp3's or even Declassifieds Lian Li and those are top of the line. I would kill for this desk in my house as I really love that shine on that wood, its so nice. Awesome build.

11. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

You see soo many of these Desk builds now, and i swear most are only done for the easy sponsor gear...

But there's never going to be another that comes close to the workmanship that's gone into this.... and if it does!

It's just going to be a HB inspired clone. This will always be the first.

jenners and cobalt6700 like this.
  12. Huskybongs

Huskybongs Minimodder

Thank you but what is HB?

13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

HB=Husky...:lol:
    You should have mentioned the old kit earlier. We just love the case anyway.
    Honestly, this is one of those moments the staff should intervene and call a major rep. That would be magical.

cobalt6700 likes this.
  14. Huskybongs

Huskybongs Minimodder

This is my first "mod" I don't know anyone anywhere in the sponsor community. Sadly :S would be awesome if people wanted to chip and this build will go to Dreamhack, Assembly and another fair (visibility wise) but I digress.Maybe I need to do several builds before sponsors get interested I'm not really familiar with the guys at asus and corsair etc. That being said I think this desk is at the same level of some sponsored builds even if I made it myself :D

15. Huskybongs

Huskybongs Minimodder

Well small one but here goes:

The pipe strengtheners are done. Testmounted them already but you will see them again. Basically drew them up in CAD and watercut some 1365 hardened steel (10mm thick), This is the biggest one holding 3 pipes but there's about 16 parts total to this system.I tried to rock the pipes really hard but they didn't move so hopefully they will hold for transportation.

[​IMG]

Also the ODAC and usb hub is ready for use. And also the custom Headphone stand to match :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also here I was worried about strength so the plate (6mm) between the odac and the usb hub is welded to the frontplate which is 4 mm. Then bolted through with m5 screws hopefully this will survive daily use.

[​IMG]

Not to make marketing but I love these cans. Pure delight

[​IMG]

Cheapskate likes this.
  16. kim

kim hardware addict

your desk is absolutely a master piece, and it's obvious that your work provides evidence of an "elite" level of skills, you would deserve sponsors as well, but anyway, you've done it all by yourself now and it's really breathtaking... you are in my top 5 of the greatest modder of the last decade :clap::clap::clap:

17. Huskybongs

Huskybongs Minimodder

That's very kind but I must correct you I've had help from my friend Mikael throughout the build it wouldn't be right not to mention him. When this is done I'll take a photo where you can see me too :D

18. kim

kim hardware addict

:thumb: you're right to mention it as your friend Mikael was doing his part, but it doesn't change the result, you guys are a great modder's team :rock::rock::rock:
    I particulary love this original shape, the contrast between wood and steel, the curved monitor is a genious idea too, and it's without mentioning the insane amount of work, patience and accuracy that you put in every little detail,:jawdrop: I am really a great fan :grin:

19. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Nah, You had enough work put in to get attention around when you were ready for lacquer.
    I saw what you did with your signature. -Cheeky. :p

20. Huskybongs

Huskybongs Minimodder

:D