Modding make ur own heatpipes

Discussion in 'Modding' started by bobtheangryflower, 6 Jan 2009.

1. bobtheangryflower

bobtheangryflower lalala

well i wanted to make my own heatpipes but problem i run into is
    exactly how im gonna vacuum the air out and fill them with the liquid

my idea is

create a vacuum chamber using a shopvac with gloves like a hermatic bubble(bubble boy)
    and do it all in there
    but seems like may take more work but seems like best way to get air out and keep out

anyone have any better ideas

this will be part of a laptop cooling mod im doing

all ideas welcome

2. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

do heatpipes have liquid in them?

is it something like liquid cooling? because usually when a liquid enters the tubing, the air exits into the atmosphere.

you could always try using a vacuum pump. they are use in the H VAC area. basically you braze the pipe with two valves (one at each end) vacuum through one side, then let the liquid run through the other valve.

3. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

A shop vac may be a dead end unless you can solve a few problems. I don't see them as having enough suction to give you a good vacuum (then again I don't know what you need for a heatpipe). Furthermore they tend to be air cooled and that air that cools them is that which they suck through themselves. Upshot being that I think if you try it with a shop vac you'll wind up with a less than idea vacuum chamber and a burned out motor.

You might try and find a pump dedicated to giving these sorts of negative pressures and use that though.

4. FrooP

FrooP can I eat this?

it does work, but not with a vac cleaner, you need to seal one end of the pipe, put it into something boiling (needs to be hotter than water, eg frenchfries maker with boiling oil ~190°C )
    oh yeah, the water needs to be inside the pipe already (destilled water works best) then, boil it so you can see the steam going out of the open end of the pipe, then seal it with a copper cone and remove it emediatly from the hot oil, then you just have to solder it so it sits nice on your heatpipe

5. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

A vacuum cleaner doesn't create anything close to a vacuum. A typical vac will reduce normal pressure by only 20%, so 80% of the air is still in your pipe.

You can buy ready-made heatpipes.

6. headala

headala What's a Dremel?

Why do you need to make your own? Tons of them on ebay, taobao, etc.

7. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I'm making my own with froop's design. Yeah, they work, but they're gravity limited.

8. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

If you can get a proper valve, the necessary amount of vacuum can be easily created with a medicine syringe. Other small pistons work just as well.