1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Make your own Intel NUC Case Competition

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 14 Jun 2013.

1. Zesti

Zesti Aluminium + file

GuilleAcoustic, that's a very nice idea.. Maybe throw in passive cooling too so it would remind this Atari concept. :D

Personally I also finally got an idea for case I'd like to build. Now I just need to think how to build it, draw it and render it..

2. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

Man, I did NOT think about a keyboard combo!

Although, I am considering getting a 3d printer to mold my plastics.

3. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

I've been busy and a little out of touch with tech as a result but what's that? I see RAM, mSATA, Front panel headers, I/O...very compact desktop?

4. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

This is the NUC (Next Unit of Computing) from Intel. Basically, it is a 100x100mm motherboard that houses a low power core i3 and uses 2x SO-Dimm RAM module, an mSATA connector (for the SSD) and a mini-PCIe connector (for Wifi + Bluetooth for example). The power supply is onboard, so you just need to plug a little brick (like with laptop).

Yup, the idea behing the NUC is to provide an ultra compact but pretty powerfull desktop.

5. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

peh the amiga 600 :/ the 1200 was better

oh the days when hard rives we in the 10s of mb and the better games came on alot of floppies!

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Concept sent. I think the wordy description was the hardest part.
    I went in the opposite direction of Guille and did away with kb/mouse entirely. I could use something that's independent of my KVM switch woes.

7. AverageNinja

AverageNinja Almost an EpicNinja

Unless Imersa, Kier, L3P or B-Negative joins, you might as well give the NUC to cheaps already :p

8. GuilleAcoustic

nah, the A4000 was the best :thumb:. But the A1200 was the best "keyboard" AIO amiga. I choosed the A600 because it is by far the more compact one

[​IMG]

I had an Amiga 2000 and a CD32 with the expansion board to convert it to an A1200 :D

9. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

I'm working on mine now. Currently doing a test render, though the actual design is far from finished.

10. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

I think I just found a new signature quote!!!!!

11. Cheapskate

@Guille -I think It'll fit in the power brick.
    @AverageNinja - Actually, several people from the Sketchup design comps have chimed in. I'm hoping many more will notice, as well as some veteran builders.

Do you think it would work if I sent Sleepstreamer a picture of money, and told him it was a bribe he could print out and use if he joined in?:worried:

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Just sent my entry. :)

13. GuilleAcoustic

OMG ... no need to compete then I'm no match :dremel:

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I kept things quite basic for me but followed what it said making the mobo the showcase of the project. Your thought bubble of making an Amiga type system is far more adventurous than mine, go for it. :D

15. Cheapskate

...Showcase the product? Sh*t. I knew I forgot something.:lol:

16. Combatus

Okay I've just been over the i/o panel with some digital callipers - it's a bit rough and ready but hopefully it will help those that need more precise dimensions (download below).

A couple of points - we're dealing with the D33217CK board here, which doesn't have a LAN port, but we'll be bundling a WiFi module to use.

The board has a power button located on the underside next to the CPU fan. You'll need to be able to use this in the final project, but it doesn't have to be rendered/drawn in at this stage. You can see it in this image http://images.bit-tech.net/content_...nuc-d33217ck-review/intel-nuc-2-1280x1024.jpg and I've added dimensions to the measurements file below.

As I've added more info, if anyone wants to re-sumbit their designs, feel free - just let me know in your email.

Finally, if anyone needs specific measurements then please ask and I'll do my best! Try not to focus on being millimetre-perfect at this stage - those that go through to the build stage will get their own NUC to play with before you start building. We just want rough designs or renders.

Dimensions image

17. AmEv

Question:

I see 2 mPCIe ports.

Are they two separate channels, or a one-or-the-other deal?

18. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

It also has a front-panel header for power/reset buttons... are people free to use that or do you have to use the on-board button to turn it on...

@AmEv, the full-size one doubles up as the m-sata port, but to the best of my knowledge it's one lane per slot, Intel are also providing [if i've read it right] a SSD and a wifi card with the board so both slots will be full

19. Combatus

You can use both slots - ie a WiFi module and SSD will work at the same time.

Sorry I should rephrase my comment about the power button! It does indeed have the usual front panel headers, but if you just want to add a length of acrylic to the on-board power button as well that's fine.

20. AmEv

I was actually thinking USB 3.0, but...

Not that I'm expecting to win, but whoever has a 3d printer, be expected to be nagged upon for parts.

Also, the stuff I'm finding in the SketchUp model has d 2 HDMI, instead of 1 HDMI, and 1 TB.

Last edited: 24 Jun 2013
Tags: Add Tags