1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Making a watercooled PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by g0th, 3 Feb 2007.

1. g0th

g0th What's a Dremel?

I'm going to build a watercooled PSU.

The major heatsinks holding the major semiconductor devices, eg. FETs and double diode packs, will be removed and replaced with a custom copper plate "heatsink(s)" which has copper tubing silver brazed onto it.

It's probably not a really good idea to go completely fanless, because pretty much *all* the electronics in a PSU need a little bit of cooling.

But this will allow a single fan, running at a limited speed for minimal noise, to be used.

And I mainly want to do it just for the sake of doing it, just to have a watercooled custom made PSU, for that show-off factor of modding that, face it, we all enjoy a little bit.

So, my question is, has anybody done anything like this before, what are your experiences? What are your thoughts? If you've done this, pictures or design descriptions would be great.

Any suggestions or ideas or thoughts?

If you're just going to suggest that I go and buy an off the shelf one, then please don't waste your time posting, same if you're going to post "OMG but you'll die if you try this" or some crap.

Cheers.

2. geek1017

geek1017 What's a Dremel?

Have you checked out Zero Fan Zone?

Here is his example of a watercooled PSU.

The site is a bit old, but it should give you ideas.

3. TheRave

TheRave What's a Dremel?

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Why not just buy a silent PSU instead? You aren't taking all the fans out, so why WC it at all?

5. n00btard

n00btard Go away

6. silentphoenix

silentphoenix What's a Dremel?

That link that geek1017 fished out seems a good strating point (i read the same articles aaages ago).

I think that getting out of those cheaper fully fanless mesh-case PSUs like the FSP Zen - that way you could lose the fan completely (the mesh case would help with cooling i geuss, and they were fanless in the first place). The Zen was one of the cheaper fanless PSUs (was about £60-70ish iirc).

If not, then how about really risking your life, fingers, sanity and pet(s) then how about making a watecooled+ionic flow cooled PSU! (PS... I will not be considered resposible for any harm caused by undertaking such a reckless act... and cookies are nice with warm milk).

7. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

Cheers to you too.

Now quit talking and build the damn thing.
    I doubt you'll die in the process but think it's likely that the PSU will.

As I see it, there are too many heat producing components configured in different planes to easily get effective blocks on them.
    Just as with HDDs, IF you could design the unit from a blank sheet, watercooling could be implemented but trying to graft it in after the fact will be quite difficult.

Good luck.

8. g0th

g0th What's a Dremel?

OK, OK, now let's not let this degenerate into a flame war.

It's been done before, and I am very confident that such a thing can be built and operated with long-term reliability on par with any other PSU.

I'll certainly keep you up to date with pics and stuff, but it might be several months before it can really take off, since i'm just about to start the university semester, so i'll be keeping fairly busy.

9. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

iirc G-gnome made two for WMD but those weren't the average psu's in the first place

10. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

please note that the heatsinks are often live in PSU's check them before starting.

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

most heatsinks inside a psu cool more than one component. if the heatsink was live surly that would kill the PSU's components.

12. DAE_JA_VOO

DAE_JA_VOO What's a Dremel?

Nope, Kipman is right. I once tested one if my heatsinks inside my AOpen PSU, it was at 160V. Some of them are DEFINITELY live...

13. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

good idea. but i wouldnt build one personally. would rather just buy one.

14. g0th

g0th What's a Dremel?

I'm well versed in electrical, electronic and general engineering, I know what's involved in doing it safely.

All the semiconductor devices will be electrically isolated from the "waterblocks", even if they aren't in the original unit.

15. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

If I had the money, I'd be picking up the Koolance unit personally. Sure, I'd want my new PCP&C watercooled, but I'll be content with making a solid acrylic t-line for my system, and various voltmods. I'm nuts, and brave, but even I'm not that brave.

If you pull it off, though, more power to you. I'll be the first to give ya props.

Tags: