1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Many problems, need many help...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by XplicitContent, 11 Jun 2005.

1. XplicitContent

XplicitContent What's a Dremel?

I put together my pc last week, it booted up fine, but in my games, and sometimes when I go to change the screensaver where I preview it, it locks up, not like freezing the same exact image forever, but like scrambled boxes repeated everywhere, thus making me have to reboot, sumtimes rebooting itself. So some people on here recommended another driver, so I had a friend install the new driver, and now it locks up right after it says Windows XP Pro splash screen, just like, right after the XP Pro goes black, it locks up with the same scambled lock-ups and reboots. My friend at first thought it was a heat issue with both the vga and cpu, so we installed my Bigwater Kit (water-cooling kit) and after putting it in and running 5-10 minutes, it does the exact same, but when in the bios, I checked the cpu heat, it was pretty much the same as my stock intel heatsink/fan was, in the 50-60'C range, which I believe is high? Thing is, before my friend installed the new driver, my system actually worked, it just locked up in games, and now it doesnt boot up to the main screen. He said tomorrow he will stop by and reformat my hdd to see if it will work on his and then put it back into mine. But while were at it, I seriously need some suggestions about what the problem currently now is, the booting up after Windows display and locking up, thus rebooting. Also, maybe some ideas about the heat issue. My friend knows enough about computers that he says the VGA card is NOT defective, as I played Half-Life 1 on it before, but nothing past Direct X9 games and whatnot. Again, ideas/suggestions are needed. Here is a list of my specs.

Windows XP Pro OS
    ASUS P4P800 SE Socket 478 Motherboard
    intel Pentium 4 Socket 478 3.0e GHZ Prescott Processor
    CORSAIR XMS PC-3200/DDR 400 2x 512MB Ram (1GB Ram)
    Seagate Barracuda 200GB IDE Hard Drive
    XFX Geforce 6800GT 256MB 256-bit AGP 8x VGA Card
    ASPIRE Chameleon 550watt PSU
    DVD-Drive
    DVD-Burner
    Floppy Drive
    ETC...

By the way, dont bother listing, 'Set the boot device to the hdd or the drive' as I tried both and nothing happened. And the rail voltages on the PSU are above the listed rails, like 1+,3+,5+,12+ voltages, but of course, this doesnt mean its a good PSU, but then again..

Thanks and help would be greatly appreciated.

2. XplicitContent

After reformatting numerous times because installing the newest drivers keep fooking up my system, I didnt install the newest drivers from nvidia and just went back with XFX, which still locks up in-game. So I was back to where I started. I cant install the drivers from cd-r's which make the system lock up after the windows loading screen. So, any suggestions and ideas, please list and help. Thanks.

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

There's some sort of hardware issue I'm pretty sure. Because release drivers don't cause problems like that. If you can, check the temp on the core of the graphics card. It sounds like either a) the gpu is overheating or b) 3d rendering is broken somehow.

also, sounds stupid, but make sure everything is pushed in all the way. If the graphics card is seated "just enough" but not all the way, you still get video output but can get strange effects, like that. My friends comp kept resetting to 640x480 and couldn't enter 3d mode or something until he pushed it in all the way (he spent like a week trying to figure that one out, I look thru the window and in five seconds spot it lol, and it's another three or so days before he actually believed me and pushed it in the rest of the way)

Yes that CPU is a bit hot, but from what I've read that's quite normal for a prescott.

Pulling the floppy drive couldn't hurt either.

4. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

funny... i'm running a xfx 6800GT AGP and had similar sorta problems... i kept getting noise and strange boxes all over my screen. i use a 19" iiyama TFT, so i just changed the DVI connection from the graphics card which got rid of the noise. A new set of forceware and everything was fine. Maybe you should try to sawp around the DVI connections even if you are running a CRT?

5. XplicitContent

Well installing the newest nvidia drivers lock up after the windows loading screen, and so I just reinstalled the XFX driver to get it to function, but it just doesnt work in games, as it locks up. I believe I tried the other dvi port and nothing still.

Anything else guys? I kinda took of the fan/heatsink of the gpu card to install my vga waterblock, and now i dont know exactly which screws go where if i were to ever put everything back and send it back for another one. Any ideas? Would it matter, and it would be newegg Im looking into.

Thanx.