1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Many Women Would Trade 1 Year of Life to Be Thin

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Cthippo, 6 Apr 2011.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Original story

[​IMG]

It took me 7 pages of Google image search results to find a forum suitable picture of Kelly Brook for our non-UK readers. Maybe that says something :rolleyes:

So, what would you give up a year of your life to have?

2. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

I'd give up a decade if my two children could have the best opportunities in life, be able to see the world, change the world for the better, become awesome caring people and be happy.

3. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Ahhh how we live in a time of super-models and size 0 needs.

It's a little scary that you'd throw away part of your life for no reason? I mean a real woman has curves, no plastic, no alterations that aren't natural... Jeez

4. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

I would give up a year of my life to get really fit and find some motivation. Would probably give up a quite a few more if it would stick.

5. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

I'd give up ten years to find the motivation to actually do something with my life and succeed. What's the point of life if it isn't taking you anywhere? Obviously that's like saying I'd give up ten years to be content. Nobody ever stays content for long, do they? There's always something else, something that goes wrong with 'the plan'.

6. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Too true man.

On topic: Girls are silly. I wish more of them would realize that what the media portrays and what men actually like are different. I know of not a single man that likes stick-thin dames.

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

'The journey is the reward' - some famous dude.

Wouldn't cut a deal like that for anything. Something given has no value etc.

8. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Ey? Ok, not stick thin, but girls with curves next to me make me look like queen latifa with woody allen.

9. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

The article didn't define what women wanted as being stick thin. It stated that the women wanted their ideal body weight and shape. Now this could be stick thin but its more likely this meant they just wish they were several pounds. Given that many women (and men) are overweight in the UK lots of people wishing to lose some is not a bad thing.

10. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Understood.

My remark now seems out of place.

However, there are a number of 'just fine' girls out there who do want to get skinnier and this confuses the damn daylights out of me.

11. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

I *think* you meant to say: "makes me look like Woody Allen next to Queen Latifa".

12. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

it did say that 78% of the women in the study were at or below their ideal weight, so obesity is probably not the driving factor here. It sounds like there is a disconnect between what their weight should be from a health standpoint and what they think their weight should be, the latter being lower.

13. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Which is based on BMI which is aload of crap anyway.

Women I think are naturally always wanting to look thinner, skinnier these days. It's goddamn annoying... but we're men, we should not try to understand the female mind. That much shoe shopping just wouldn't be good for us...

+waits for the fury of Carrie to smash him round his internet face+

14. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Pfft. I'd give up a year of my life to have the perfect body too, so what?

15. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Unsurprising article.

As always, quality>quantity.

I can see why people would shave a year off the end to want a better quality of life, even if that does boil down to confidence.

It is almost amuses me though how much more people seem to value their days as they are drawing to a close, even if your quality of life is somewhat diminishing...

16. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

LOL. That was awesome. Might just have to quote myself on that one :D

17. carpetmonster

carpetmonster What's a Dremel?

Paradoxically, if getting in perfect shape increased your health, you might live 10 years longer, so losing 1 would still be a 9 year bonus.

:rock:

18. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

^ This. As mentioned above most of the people questioned apparently aren't already overweight, like a worryingly high proportion of England and Wales and a devastatingly high proportion of Scotland are, but to be honest getting down to a healthy weight is going to add years to their lives, not remove them. If these are already slim women who're being brainwashed into wanting to be unrealistically thin by advertisements, that's unfortunate, but with an obesity rate (let alone overweight) that's risen 10-fold in ten years, aspiring to be thin is probably going to be pretty common.

tl;dr: People, as usual, want a perfect physique with no effort, and would rather pay in years (this study) or cash (ThighMaster, AbDuctor, fad diets) than undertake regular exercise and eat a generally healthy diet.

Ljs likes this.
  19. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

Unfortunately its the shallow mentality that drives this kind of desire. They want a great body not to increase their lifespan or lower the risk of cancers and heart-attacks, but so they think they'll become attractive to other people. That kind of attitude is the reason people over do it, or fail altogether, and damage themselves permanently because they aren't commited to a healthy life-style.

20. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Does the idea mean that I get to enjoy my perfect health and body now while I'm still young, and I will lose 1 year at the end of my life after my mind and body have gone to crap anyway?

These types of questions are ridiculous. Stephen Hawking was in town the other day, and someone from the audience decided that the best question to asked him was whether or not he would trade his intelligence for full control of his body. He said his intelligence defines who he is, and that he wouldn't trade it for anything.