1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Many Women Would Trade 1 Year of Life to Be Thin

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Cthippo, 6 Apr 2011.

1. carpetmonster

carpetmonster New Member

Some 'fat' people, and a lot more than the Daily Mail would let you believe are 'fat' because of biochemical imbalances. Some people become 'insulin resistance is caused by being fat and inactive, in fact most 'Scientists' believe this. However they are ignoring the mass of information on some of the causes of insulin resistance. Some of it concerns the mineral, Chromium and how it effects insulin activity.

Some obese people also have Pica. Some scientists believe that Pica means people eat dirt, dog **** and *** butts, but in general it manifests itself as a large appetite for sweet or bulky foods.

Before all the overweight people take to the streets for a party, it way too simplistic to say being overweight is causes by imbalances, as the other issue is general inactivity. Particularly in this modern age.

A long time ago, people who were what you would describe as mentally ill, were treated rather unsympathetically. This has since changed. I still believe most chronically and morbidly obese people are treated in an unsufficient manner. Telling them to put both hands on their head and step away from the buffet is not always the answer. Nor is stapling their guts up. It is akin to telling depressed people to 'man up'.

2. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

Is this an ad for cigarettes and/or cocaine?

3. carpetmonster

carpetmonster New Member

Cocaine makes you thinner.

4. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

So do walking to work, doing manual labor, and eating better foods, all 3 of which seem to be in decline. I blame rap music. And video games.

5. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

With a perfect body your quality of life could increase substancially! Of course I would trade a year for it :) I plan on having at least 100 of then, for 70 or so to be lived looking awesome for my age then hell yes id pay 1 year :)

6. Throbbi

Throbbi New Member

That question alone would justify the wheelchair modifications seen in the Simpsons.

Along those lines though would a fully usable and normal body have restricted Hawking from making the strides he has in higher mathematics/physics by virtue of him not being able to fully focus on his mind? If you get my meaning. (Has his disability allowed him to get more from his brain by only having his brain to realistically use? might make more sense)

We all get what we're given. If you abuse it, expect to lose it. Barring PROVEN medical conditions, if you're too fat,thin,unfit,etc. etc. then it's your own fault and even if such an option of 'giving up a year of life' was available you should not be permitted to have it. Same goes for fatties begging for tummy tucks and gastric bands on the NHS in my opinion.

7. carpetmonster

carpetmonster New Member

Someone once said, being in a shape felt far better than any food tasted. I figure they were a. referring to being pretty shredded, lean and muscular, rather than just skinny with your abs showing and b. they had never tasted Sainsbury's family value trifle 1KG size.

8. eddie_dane

I plan on repenting by exercising on my deathbed, it's going to be a busy day.

9. carpetmonster

carpetmonster New Member

I've come across people who were normal weight and then ballooned to epic proportions without significant calorie excess, for the simple reason they were suffering from neuropeptide Y induced insulin release. Neuropeptide Y is a major hypothalamic peptide which stimulates feeding, insulin secretion and weight gain.

In short, lots of people feeding their faces can't help it, and some who aren't overeating, become obese.

10. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

But it really is down to the amount one excercises. Metabolism plays a large role for some, but for those who don't get the faster metabolisms, excercise is key.

Plus you live longer, win win.

11. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I used to make my living toting around people who lived long, healthy lives and are now immobile in a nursing home with terminal brain rot.

A sudden, lethal heart attack at 60 sounds pretty good.

12. patrickk84

patrickk84 New Member

This. I work very hard to have the type of body I want.

No excuses or shortcuts. And I'm going to say it: Man up!

13. Nexxo

Nexxo Stopped treating this country as if it was his own

Big deal. I gave up decades of my life to gain a decent education and have a career, income and lifestyle. The cost of living is high and everybody pays. Everybody. Just make sure it's worth it.

14. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Until then, you're sticking to the cocaine?
    QFT. I work out and am still overweight, but man, I have a good life full of experiences and things I love. To meet the ideals of what my body should look like would take more joy out of life then the few extra days of old age are worth.

15. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

I'd trade a year of my life for a woman with a perfect body any day!!

16. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

I'd trade a year of my life for the perfect body, simply because it would be PERFECT (indestructable, non-aging, etc)

17. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

The man's got a point.
    Istead of beeing a snowboard-bum in the french alps, i spent my youth studying...Bah! :D
    And there's the appropriate question for guys, complete with a reason for the womans answer.:thumb:

18. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

From the desk of a female doctor:
    "Most women prefer beeing pretty over beeing smart, because there are more dumb men out there then there are blind ones."
    :D

19. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

When we see footage of areas affected by famine why are there no fat people with chemical imbalances? :p

I believe the proportion of people who are overweight due to actual medical reasons compared to people who simply eat too much and exercise to little (like me) is small. Although it could be the fat chicken disease!

20. eddie_dane

What else to fuel this rock-n-roll lifestyle of mine?