1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mark Rein: Consoles killing the PC market

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 1 Feb 2008.

1. kevon27

kevon27 What's a Dremel?

As a once PC only gamer, I now only game on consoles.
    Here are a few things why I think pc gaming is on the decline.

The cost to keep up with the latest and greatest is just to much.

Now with HDTV becoming very common among home users, people can now game in Hi-def from the comforts of their couches. No need to be in front of a small 17-22in monitor.

Ease of use. Insert a game disc and press play. No need to type in serial keys, no need to download and install patches (manually).

Piracy - Bit torrent is killing pc sales. Just go download an ISO, install a crack and you are playing COD 4 for free.

There is hope for pc gaming..
    EA is talking about a unified gaming system; the PC is almost there.
    Simplify the OS; keep the hardware the same of about 4-5 years. Have multiple manufactures (like the current PC industry) and keep the prices low.
    Add free extra stuff, like HTPC capabilities, cable-directv tuner card capability plus end the format war with a hd-dvd/bluray player.
    Then life will be good.

2. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

Did you even read the thread? Sales are good, PC is not on the decline at all. Your loss, you are missing out on the best RPG in years, and a better experience then what you are getting on consoles.

3. Lepermessiah

Did you even read the thread? Sales are good, PC is not on the decline at all. Your loss, you are missing out on the best RPG in years, and a better experience then what you are getting on consoles.

Unified gaming system? Those are called consoles. You are on crack, that means ATI, Nvidia and a load of companies would go bankrupt, that will never happen, the inherritent thing that drives people to game on PC is that they are upgradeable and customizeable. What a load of crock.

4. Lepermessiah

EA is going to make the entire industry change the PC? BWHAHAHA, no wonder you gave up Pc gaming......

The alwasy was hope for PC gaming, it isn't in any danger.

5. Dvs98SK

Dvs98SK What's a Dremel?

I play that game on my 360 all the time and every match is full and if not when i get in it takes less that a minute to get full.

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

it is good forum etiquette for people to not double post and i think it used to be in the rules when i got in......

and the money that used to go to cds..... were is it being used on? stop doing it then and start buying cds again, she is hurting the industry.... [/sarcasm]

yep, and other people would simply start stealing the real thing, or start stealing to buy the real thing.....

if piracy ended today i would listen to a lot less music and play a lot less...... and i usually buy originals.... so less gain for the media creators i think, and i think i am not alone here.....

lastly there is a button on your posts that says "edit", please use it instead of double posting, it is against general thread etiquette.... :rolleyes:

Last edited: 1 Feb 2008
  7. Lepermessiah

The fact is there would be a gain, thanks for proving my point, to think that everyone that pirates would cease gaming and music if piracy stopped is Naive, and plain stupid. Sales would increase, case closed.

8. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i forgot the sarcasm tags in front of "she is hurting the industry....". i will add them now.

don't underestimate the power of fans, i bet with you that about all the people that download from TPB and other popular sites and are active users of these sites would do an embargo against buying media if p2p disappeared tomorrow.

so lets see if i get this straight: you are saying that person X (the normal kind of pirate, <24, low money at the end of the month.... etc, the normal kind of pirate around here), a person that downloads 3 albums per week and 1 game per week, buys 1 album per month and 1 game each 6 months and ends each month with about y in money that he saves to buy stuff that is necessary for him (food, school supplies, university payment.... etc...) leaving him with effective 0 money or less each month. (this is not me, i buy more media, this is the standard pirate i know from here)

he suddenly stops pirating because his favourite torrent sites are down because the creators of the media closed them all down, what would happen?

A) he would continue buying the same amount of media he used to buy.
    B) he will buy more media, if so with what money?
    C) he would buy less media because he would be mad/sad, or for some other reason......

i bet you wont even try to respond to this question, like you did with the other ones...

edit:
    if you mean i proved your point with this... then... i think you will notice that media company profit would go up, but real world crime would go to the roof....

9. Rebourne

Rebourne What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't mind if so much consoles fully supported keyboards and mice.

Still this makes me mad, especially that the ps3 version can play mods made on a PC. Someone hurry up and make a mod that gives the ps3 version a virus.

10. Lepermessiah

BWHAHAHA

You are saying crime will shoot up and people will start stealing cd's and games if piracy ceases, yet they have enough money for internet and PC's to play crysis and COD4? I give up, obviously you are dumb. Sales will go up, case closed. Piracy is bad, Fact, not hard to understand, unless you're an idiot like yourself. Not everyone will, but some will buy games if they had no choice, to suggest these people will all of a sudden resort to shoop lifting when they have PC's in their homes and internet is assinine. Before piracy there was no such problem.

11. Trefarm

Trefarm No matter what... It's all good

It's an old skool example but C&C on the Playstation sucked...some genres will always be better on one format or another.

As to the death of PC gaming nah I don't buy it people will always game on a PC.. it's just more people have consoles now so every one looks at the market shares, picks some figures that support their arguement and rants on about the death of this or that

If he'd just chatted to the interviewer for five minutes about how he overslept this morning, no quote, no story...
    But "OMG PC GAMING IS DEAD!" and suddenly everyones chatting about you...

some peoples egos need a big old slap

Easy now Lepermessiah... you think berating people will make them change their opinions? Or just dismiss your own?

12. SaNdCrAwLeR

SaNdCrAwLeR What's a Dremel?

C on my end, you know the reasons, I hate demos, I hate how the publishers always polish up the demos and we don't really see what we're actually buying, so I'd stop buying games unless I'd have tried them out before... that's how I go anyway, and if we look at my collection of games you'll see that I only buy games that I actually like and/or love :wallbash:

13. SaNdCrAwLeR

EDIT: Soz for the double-post, but yer post was a bit right after I started typing in mine ;)

om"effer"g Before piracy there was no such problem? erm... are you from this planet or something? the phenom we call piracy nowadays is something that always happened and existed in human society, we only see it as being bad so openly nowadays because some people (corporations/etc) feel itchy and just need a new yacht at the end of the month :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

14. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

i have a 360, wii, and a gaming puter, of course pc gaming isnt going to die, but i believe that the pc is less renowned as a gaming platform. I mean you could walk up to anybody in the street and ask them what a ps3 wii or xbox was and in pretty sure almost everybody would say "one of those gaming thingies" regardless of age they would know, of course they'd know what a pc is also! But if you asked the same people what an ati hd3870 or nvidia 8800gt was and the majority wouldnt have a clue! I know were talking about games not hardware but the point still stands, (kind of).

The other problem im seeing is the gift/present area whereby games are bought as gifts. I mean say little timmy has an xbox and a pc, and on his wishlist for his b'day is COD4, now granny nips into GAME while shes out and looks for said title, im guessing here but even if she asked the assisstant for advice they would point here in the xbox direction? and even if they did say "you can get it on the pc and xbox" if granny chooses the pc version she'll get the "does the computer meet the required spec?" grannies gunna be stumped and go for the xbox version anyways.

Im ranting i know, ive been awake too long so ill leave it at that
    nite

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

lets see here... i should not pay for internet and buy new hardware and with that money buy games.... that makes perfect sense, i realy have to cancel my internet connection and sell my computer and run and buy 75$ games to play on my computer that i sold...... and you coming here and calling me dumb and idiot is like a person entering a bar and calling a regular customer names.....

as for people resorting to shoplifting because of games.... it is happening here in a place called "Camera de Lobos", kids don't have internet, they go to a place and rob it, get money and pay games, or simply steal the games.... SaNdCrAwLeR knows what i am talking about.....

edit: btw, welcome to the forum SaNdCrAwLeR.

16. SaNdCrAwLeR

Camara de Lobos... my gawd... I usually steer straight away from that town... =X the kids... they... they... could kill a man and still be declared innocent just cuz the cops are afraid of getting their families killed =X

oh yes... its a peaceful island we live in... just dont go to that place and u'll be fine =X *gulps cuz he has to go there next week* :duh:

17. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

don't exaggerate.... it is not that bad :worried: a worse spot is "bairro da Nogueira" but lets not talk about that......

18. kevon27

kevon27 What's a Dremel?

Let's face it.. PC gaming will only die if the game studios are no long making money from the sales of the games. If they are selling a lot more games on the console side they will put less and less resources into developing for the PC.
    Remember the arcades? They use to be big but as people turned to gaming at home, companies spent less time and money on doing games for the arcade and just went straight to consoles.

Also, certain games which the PC was king (massive multi player games, RTS, and FPS), the consoles are getting these types of games too. The console versions my not be on par with the pc but they are getting there.

The PC will be a gaming machine for a long time to come. Mostly I believe it will be used to emulate older game systems for free.

19. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

For the last few days ive been playing goldeneye on my laptop using an xbox360 pad and i must say its a surreal experience but i loved goldeneye back in the day and it brings back memories,

20. Trefarm

Trefarm No matter what... It's all good

:thumb: same thing here but round a friends chez....

But with the consoles bringing out oldschool games on XBox Live and Sony jumping onboard I reckon it's another case of different retro games will suit different systems

Tags: Add Tags